1.9 TDi 130 PD (AWX) Smoking

trebor69

I have a 2003 A6 TDi 1.9 PD 130 BHP (AWX engine code) with a problem.

I get a lot of blue exhaust smoke when the engine is warming up.

The Audi dealer said it was a faulty air mass meter, so I let them replace it - still the same.

It only happens when the car is warming up, about half way between cold & normal on the temp guage and under light load.

No other problems, seems fine when the car is hot or cold. Car performs well at all times.

Even though the volume of smoke is very noticeable, doesn't seem to use any quantity of oil.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Dirty_Diesel

TDI
Passat 130 Sport 6sp
Well if it only happens as the engine is warming up I would have thought the dealer would have ruled out the maf sensor, and the lambda sensor too for that matter. I would be looking at things like temp sensors even the diesel temp sensor. Maybe they are faulty, but at operating temperature they read ok???

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
Blue smoke can be caused by insufficient combustion temperature due to poor quality diesel,or possibly incorrect cam timing if its had a cambelt change.

trebor69

The Audi dealer is supposed to have checked the sensors on the diagnostic computer whilst on test drive from cold - no problems showing & no fault codes.