TDI expert in South East South Dakota?

Schlitzguzzler

TDI
2003 Jetta dk blue 2002 Jetta 5 speed green
I am experiencing a noise that is proving to be hard to diagnose and was wondering who is the nearest "go to guy" around Sioux Falls/Sioux City area?
I have a 2003 Jetta auto with 46,000 miles on it.
The noise sounds like a top end, possibley lifter noise, that is only evident during acceleration and sometimes when engine loads like cruising up hill. Loudest around 2000+ rpm.
I also notice a ticking noise at start up that goes away in a few seconds.
Anyone had these same problems and fixed them? Is it nothing to worry about? I am new to TDI's but not to diesels. I do have a vag com
Thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What kind of motor oil and oil filter are you using?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The ticking noise for 1-2 seconds after startup is probably normal (I'm not there to listen so I can't say absolutely).

Instead of asking for an expert, just try to find another regular owner, to compare your car to his. Then if he says, whoa, that's not right, contact Deafbug. He's the most knowledgable person I know in your area, even if the Twin Cities are a couple hundred miles.