Picked up a brm dirt cheap

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I picked up a 2006 beetle brm 5 speed for cheap. I have a bew tdi at the moment. The 06 has 120,000 miles, strong clutch and no cam noise. Time for a timing belt, and has a damaged dog bone mount. Is there anything special I need to check on a brm? Engine is actually a bit quieter than my bew with a billet cam.

Car has sat about 6 months, obviously I will do a timing belt as there is no records of it being done, oil, fuel and air filters.

Anything else I am overlooking?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
An 06 Beetle should still be a BEW> The BRM came out in the MKV cars. I've bumped into someone that even has a BEW in an 05.5 Jetta (original owner).

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Every 06 beetle I have ever seen are brm. This car for sure isnt a bew. The 06 is the last new beetle available with a tdi

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
An '06 New Beetle TDI has a BEW engine. East to tell the difference, the BRM has what's called a "top mount" turbo that sits on top of the exhaust manifold, and the BEW turbo is below the manifold.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every 06 beetle I have ever seen are brm. This car for sure is t a bew. The 06 is the last new beetle available with a tdi
It should be marked on the timing belt cover. 06 Golf, Beetle and Jetta wagon were all MKIV chassis with BEWs. The Beetle was lucky enough to get DSG

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
I can tell you this. My 05 has a smooth valve cover, the same as my fathers o4. The 06 has the the brm style valve cover with the circles.

If you have seen a new and brm valve cover you will understand what I am saying. Turbo does sit higher on my 06

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are two versions of the valve cover on the BEW. The early one doesn't have a replaceable gasket, the late one does. The top may look different.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Just connect with VCDS it'll tell you what engine you have.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
Just double checked and it is a bew. I have 6 of these cars at the moment, and have a dealers license so I can buy at auctions. I feel like I have had a stroke. Lol. I guess everything is running together. Anyways, what all should I look for on the bew then?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Inspect the cam then decide whether it's a tb job or a tb job and a cam job. Look for leaks all over especially at the tandem pump. Is the dog bone damaged or is the rubber just wasted from fuel or oil leaking on it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Also make sure the in tank pump is working. The car can run with a failed pump but eventually it'll take out the tandem pump.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
Inspect the cam then decide whether it's a tb job or a tb job and a cam job. Look for leaks all over especially at the tandem pump. Is the dog bone damaged or is the rubber just wasted from fuel or oil leaking on it?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The dog bone has nearly exploded. Previous owner hit something and the dog bone broken and ripped a hole in the down pipe

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just double checked and it is a bew. I have 6 of these cars at the moment, and have a dealers license so I can buy at auctions. I feel like I have had a stroke. Lol. I guess everything is running together. Anyways, what all should I look for on the bew then?
My BEW has been relatively trouble free. I replaced the tandem pump due to it leaking and the crank position sensor that was causing random stalling at idle. The only other BEW specific part that I've replaced was the lift pump. It was dead when I got it (back in 06) and at that point, the general consensus was that the car wouldn't run without it. I ran it for probably 150k miles that way.

EGR flex pipes break due to dealer recall shortcuts (coolers not aligned properly).

One common trouble item is the clip connection from the intercooler to the intake - they vibrate and wear out the nubs. There is a "doggie collar" fix but I've added set screws to lock and center the tube (PD150 intake now, so no longer an issuer)

Mine has 225k miles - over 100k of that with some kind of tune. I also service a 05 Beetle with similar miles that also appears to have the original cam (both run Rotella T6).

I have been running a ZDDP additive for probably 50-60k?

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
I have found the clip style intake tunes if you silicone them up and let it dry before I run it they do well as well.