Poor man's cam seal replacement

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I had done that. But, the vise grips didn't do the trick. Someone really torqued that one. The rest come off easily.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
You could always try a 12 point socket over the top of it like the anti theft lug nuts...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
You could always try a 12 point socket over the top of it like the anti theft lug nuts...

I thought of that but I am left with my six point 10mm socket after losing my 12 point one.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought of that but I am left with my six point 10mm socket after losing my 12 point one.

Good time to buy a cheapo that you don't mind destroying

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Or do you have any of those cheap socket sets you get for Christmas that aren't that great but make great tools for times like this

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Or do you have any of those cheap socket sets you get for Christmas that aren't that great but make great tools for times like this

Happy to report a 12 point 3/8 hammered on did the trick.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
There ya go...

I always see those times as a challenge and I meet it with more determination than the bolt has...and yes sometimes I talk to it...might not be nice to it either but I usually win...

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I like to think I have a delicately destructive side that escalates as needed...hence the name wild child...my best friend called me that and it stuck...that was almost 20 years ago.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
There ya go...

I always see those times as a challenge and I meet it with more determination than the bolt has...and yes sometimes I talk to it...might not be nice to it either but I usually win...

I appriciate you reminding me about the anti-theft lug removal technique. And the socket I used is still in good shape. Probably because I gently tapped it on.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I appriciate you reminding me about the anti-theft lug removal technique.

I love this forum! I try to give as much as I can because it's helped me so many times...

Been there and know completely how frustrating it is when you can't get them off, my problem child was closer to the EGR valve and was a royal pain

I had to use that refer because it reminds me of the club anti theft device...saw through the wheel and it's gone. Also like door locks, they only keep honest people honest, if they want in, you've probably got windows that are much easier than a door lock

Last edited:

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I like to think I have a delicately destructive side that escalates as needed...hence the name wild child...my best friend called me that and it stuck...that was almost 20 years ago.

I have a similar nickname for the same reason.

Since, I am wanting to just replace the cam seal. Once I set the cam to TDC, can I get away with taking the top idler pulley off and use bungee cords to hold the belt in place. Take the cam sprocket off and properly install seal and reassemble after the seal sets?

I am praying the front crank seal is fine.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I love this forum! I try to give as much as I can because it's helped me so many times...

Been there and know completely how frustrating it is when you can't get them off, my problem child was closer to the EGR valve and was a royal pain

I had to use that refer because it reminds me of the club anti theft device...saw through the wheel and it's gone. Also like door locks, they only keep honest people honest, if they want in, you've probably got windows that are much easier than a door lock

I can only imagine the one near the EGR, did you have to remove it?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a similar nickname for the same reason.

Since, I am wanting to just replace the cam seal. Once I set the cam to TDC, can I get away with taking the top idler pulley off and use bungee cords to hold the belt in place. Take the cam sprocket off and properly install seal and reassemble after the seal sets?

I am praying the front crank seal is fine.

You have to lock the cam and pump. You can use a flat file and a sawzall blade or 2 it just needs to be fairly snug and I think it's a 5/32 drill bit works for the IP... pretty much, you're doing about half the steps of a timing belt job, the super critical steps

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to lock the cam and pump. You can use a flat file and a sawzall blade or 2 it just needs to be fairly snug and I think it's a 5/32 drill bit works for the IP... pretty much, you're doing about half the steps of a timing belt job, the super critical steps

Yeah, I have the cam lock and pump lock.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I can only imagine the one near the EGR, did you have to remove it?

I think I used vise grips, I was doing my mods so the intake was coming off anyway to be cleaned and EGR delete...and the new cam and so on...

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The tensioner is your next hurdle, I have had good luck with snap ring pliers to retention the belt.

But yes you can proceed pretty much as you said...don't need to bungee the belt though, it's got nowhere to go

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
The tensioner is your next hurdle, I have had good luck with snap ring pliers to retention the belt.

But yes you can proceed pretty much as you said...don't need to bungee the belt though, it's got nowhere to go

Yeah, I don't own a pair of snap ring pliers. That is why I was thinking of removing the top idler pulley and cord idea to release tension.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I don't own a pair of snap ring pliers. That is why I was thinking of removing the top idler pulley and cord idea to release tension.

I wouldn't, you'll have a very hard time getting the cam pulley back on I would think...

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't, you'll have a very hard time getting the cam pulley back on I would think...

I was thinking of putting the cam on first then putting the top idler pulley back on.