Correct Battery

Powerstroke9773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (totaled parts car) 2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I'v seem through some posts that there's a certain battery these cars require. The car I'm fixing for a guy needs a new battery and it's a old carquest battery. I just want to make sure I get the correct one. CCA etc. Or should I just carry it to Napa and have em give me the direct replacement

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
just get something big that fits
group 49 fits from a mercedes sprinter if you throw away the battery cover, they're twice the battery the A4 chassis cars came with

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a common 80Ah H7 type battery. Many ChryCo and GM products (like minivans and C/K trucks) use them.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
All cars specify a specific battery. TDI owners need be a bit more concerned because the diesel engine needs a good strong battery. Your 2 cars take what OH posted.
Do not trust the parts person. Believe it or not, the dealer can be one of the best places to get one.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I believe H7 batteries can also be labeled as 94R but may not always be labeled as both, just to prevent any potential confusion.

If being made in the US matters to you, there is a company named East Penn/Deka that makes 94R batteries domestically. You can also find them at retailers such as Batteries + Bulbs under the Duracell brand. They have a licensing agreement. I have been purchasing East Penn/Deka/Duracell batteries for my TDI's for most of the last two decades. In one instance, my Jetta was totaled when someone rear ended me and I went to the salvage yard to get back my Monster Mats and battery. I currently have the "Platinum" version in my current Jetta which basically means it's the "AGM" version. They make a less expensive non-AGM version as well. In many of the previous threads on this topic, this brand has always been one of the most recommended.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
As a side note, they also make made in the USA jumper cables, also branded as Duracell. However, they can be very hard to find (unless that has changed recently.)