Dipstick recall?

wht05tdi

TDI
PKG0 2005.5 5m white
During my 5000 mile service today I noticed that there was an item on the service paper work about a B7 campaign. They replaced the dipstick under warranty. Does anyone know what the problem was or why there is a recall on the dipstick? I did not see anything obviously different about the new one. This is on a 2005.5 pkg 0 TDI.

Strack

Veteran Member
The dipstick on my 06 is bizairre, it is difficult to read. It has the two rubber mounts on each side, with the small metal bar in between. VW could have designed this to be easier to read, the design is flawed from the get go... But this probably has nothing to do with the recall.. LOL

NEEDABEER

Actually it was because certain units had the wrong dipstick installed at time of production. Not a major problem and not resulting in anything. I just looked at mine yesterday and had to order one. Not sure if it will be easier to read but I hope so.

wht05tdi

TDI
PKG0 2005.5 5m white
I have heard of other manufactures recalling them because they did not correctly reflect the oil on the sump. Wrong length basically.

wht05tdi

TDI
PKG0 2005.5 5m white
I did not even know that they did the recall until I had gotten home Friday, so I do really have any info on it. My paperwork says B7 campaign - B712 complete - dipstick replaced.

bbmd

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta, reflex silver; 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen, white gold
I find that the oil level on my dipstick is difficult to read related to the dark color of the dipstick and the dark color of the 505.01 oil and wish that VW would replace it with a lighter (silver) dipstick. I have thought about forwarding that suggestion to VW.

WillR

Veteran Member
Here is more information.
I have an 05 A5 Jetta. My VIN has the recall on it.
Dealer wants to "look" at the dipstick, if its got the correct part number on it, they will replace it. She would not give me the part number of the affected dip stick.

She kept saying "it only takes 10 minutes" but wanted me to make an apointment.

turbokrash

Veteran Member
***? how f*ing hard is it to read a dipstick?
if the oil falls BETWEEN the two detents in the stick, the car fine to drive.
Ideally it should be to the top of the detent. If the oil registers below the bottom detent add oil right away. Differance between the two detent's is approx 1 quart...arghhh

I'm sure they're be a *drive-by-whatever* procedure on the forum to check the oil leval on the dipstick...lol

NEEDABEER

If your VIN is in the affected below then read on.

Okay, pull out your dipstick and look at the part just below the finger hole. If it has a "M" at the end of the part number it needs replaced.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Nice. Makes me wanna just call you right up and order a car from you.
With an attitude like that, no wonder you have so many cars on your lot.

BTW, I've never had issues with PITA dipsticks with Toyota, BMW, Range Rover, Chevy, and prior VW's. This dipstick sucks.

wht05tdi

TDI
PKG0 2005.5 5m white
Dark brown on dark grey nearly requires a flood light to see the shine from the oil.

If it was a little lighter in the middle of the area the oil is supposed to be, we might actually be able to read it.

WillR

Veteran Member
Where does my post talk about "reading the dipstick"?

Being as you work for VW, maybe you should read the recall for us (as well as my post).

I hear the dipstick is the wrong size, (to short) causing more oil in the engine then it was designed for. Read the dipstick any way you want it, but if it’s the wrong one it’s not going to let the oil be at the correct level.

Its amazing how someone can come on here and "bash" another user without reading the post. I would expect more from someone who is using this forum to advertise the fact they are the "internet manager" for a VW dealership!

if the oil falls BETWEEN the two detents in the stick, the car fine to drive.
Ideally it should be to the top of the detent. If the oil registers below the bottom detent add oil right away. Differance between the two detent's is approx 1 quart...arghhh

I'm sure they're be a *drive-by-whatever* procedure on the forum to check the oil leval on the dipstick...lol

--------------------
Mark Koblanski
Internet Sales Manager
Gene Langan Volkswagen Glastonbury, CT
860-833-8919

turbokrash

Veteran Member
*I'm sure they're be a *drive-by-whatever* procedure on the forum to check the oil leval on the dipstick...lol*

NO one recognizes the concept of *tongue in cheak* humor?

The point (of the post) was to draw attention to the *dip-stick issue*...

gce61

TDI
Jetta 2006 Black
Hey DipSh*t,
We are all on this forum to get valuable advice, keep your petty comments to yourself- I wouldn't visit your CT dealership if you were giving cars away.

WillR

Veteran Member
I got a winner here. Its got the "M" dipstick. Guess I got to send the wife in there and hope they got time to
pull one out of the parts room with out an apointment.

I even told her to pull it out of the car and give it to them so they don't have to be troubled with doing that much work.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Will, that's what I'm going to be doing. Heading in, asking if they have the part in stock, then exchanging the old for the new. They didn't have the part in last week when I stopped by. I wonder how much longer/shorter the new dipstick is and if it's any easier to read.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
My vin is in the 630*** range, and I can see a faint "M" on the dipstick. Is that the only definitive method of determining if it is the wrong dipstick?

srptdi

TDI
2005.5 jetta black
I just called the dealer about the recall, and they said they don't have any replacement dipsticks yet. It could be weeks before vw sends out the recall notice.

NEEDABEER

The bulletin was sent out weeks ago already. It comes over the fax to ALL dealers and most receive it via email from their reps. All they have to do is run your VIN through OTIS and see if the campaign is valid for your car. The dipsticks are readily available at all warehouses for ordering.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Dealer oredered one for me today. I still wonder what the defect is on the dipstick. I'd sure like to know how badly my system is under or overfilled.

MetallicaTDI

TDI
Jetta 00' Black
Hey DipSh*t,
We are all on this forum to get valuable advice, keep your petty comments to yourself- I wouldn't visit your CT dealership if you were giving cars away.

Id go there if you were GIVING cars away, but under no other circumstances