Limp mode: Need VNT wiring diagram (PD / BEW)

german_cargo

TDI
2004 Golf TDI (328,000 kms)
My 04 TDI is in limp mode and has a code for the VNT actuator. I got a guy to come by who has a diagnosis software to help me and after clearing the codes and turning the key only to the on position the VNT actuator code popped up which suggests to me that it's an electrical problem with it rather than a vacuum problem.

Does anyone have an engine electrical diagram they can send me? Any other tips?

Thanks!

german_cargo

TDI
okay thanks. I'll take a closer look at it. The clip itself is broken and was taped and zip tied onto the actuator, so that could definitely be it.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, that's where they break. :)

The fix is to obtain a few "VW repair wires" from the dealer and replace 'em... I do 'em all since they are tiny and like to break. The repair wires come in several sizes so you'll want to tell the dealer which specific wires you're replacing.

All that said... I dunno if this particular error will cause "limp mode"... don't think it did when mine broke.

The ECU has other ways to figure out what the turbo is doing and so can ignore the position sensor (many people have it deleted when they get a tune done)... but I guess you'll find out.

german_cargo

TDI
The wires are damaged right at the connector. Is this a pretty standard VW connector found on other sensors? Ie: rather than try to fix them right where they go in or buy one from a dealer can I go to a wrecker and snip one off of another VW that’s in good shape and splice it in up where it’s easier to put two sets of wires together?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The wires are damaged right at the connector. Is this a pretty standard VW connector found on other sensors? Ie: rather than try to fix them right where they go in or buy one from a dealer can I go to a wrecker and snip one off of another VW that’s in good shape and splice it in up where it’s easier to put two sets of wires together?
Its a standard, but one of the 3 different standard wire sizes, and if memory serves one of the few that use the tiny version of the wires.

As always, if you can find a pristine version at the wreckers good on ya... also as always often what you find at the wreckers is broken (or breaking) in the same spot, since it's a known weak spot. Tiny wires on something that vibrates. :rolleyes: :)

Here in Edmonton there aren't many late - model TDIs in the wreckers, but maybe Calgary has a better selection. And not all TDIs have turbos with position sensors.

As I recall the repair wires were only a few bucks each, and they have two ends, so you only need to buy a couple to do the full meal deal. They are a foot long or so, so lots of room for splicing. I added a bit of plastic loom to protect them further.

Last edited:

german_cargo

TDI
This is a good point. Pardon my ignorance but how would I replace the 3 wires going into the connector? Are they soldered? I’ve already snipped off the connector with a couple inches of each wire and brought it in the house.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No worries... the only bad question is the one you don't ask. :) :)

The metal terminals are a press-fit into the plastic connector housing and are held in by:

- a (usually green or blue) plastic locking strip
- little metal tabs on each side of the metal terminal itself

So, to remove the terminals you:

- slide out the green/blue plastic locking strip with a thin flat-blade screwdriver
- insert a terminal removal tool into the front of the connector housing... this presses the metal tabs in and allows you to withdraw the terminal
- remove the terminal from the back side of the connector.

Assembly is simpler... the metal terminals simply press into the back of the connector housing with a slight click as the tabs bite, and then you re-install the locking strip

Princess Auto sells terminal removal tools: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-wire-terminal-and-trouble-code-tool-set/A-p8006462e

Canadian Tire might as well, can't tell on their gawd-awful web site. :D

Or, if you're not a fan of buying tools for the long haul VW will sell you a new turbo-specific connector housing to go with the repair wires... probably half the cost of the terminal tool, but of course it's a one-of.

It's the usual story... if you're planning on wrenching on VWs (or any vehicle for that matter) over time you'll be confronting broken wires on terminals, and the tool might be a good investment. Otherwise, for a one-of, just buying a new housing might be the way to go.

The bigger terminals can sometimes be unlatched with a couple of paper clips, but the turbo wires are pretty tiny suckers... maybe a couple straight pins would work? It' already busted... can't bust it more by trying?! :)