Weird sudden power loss (limp mode ?) Golf mk4

d8out

TDI
1.9 TDI 66kw (AGR) Golf mk4
Hello guys,
I just recently bought a Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI 66kw (AGR) and only a week or so ago been experiencing a weird boost issuse. I tried googling, but nothing really helped, since it apparently can be quite a lot of things.
The issue is, after let's say 30-45mins of driving, I suddenly loose power, sometimes I even can feel car wiggle a little and then, even if I floor it, nothing much happens. Strange thing is, that if I restart the engine, the boost is back to normal for another 30 mins or so.
From what I've heard and read, it could be faulty EGR, leaking pressure in turbo piping, sticky turbo... and etc.
What I want to know is if any of you have/had this experience and if any of managed to solve it somehow.
Lastly, I'm fairly new to cars, even though I have my license for 2 years, I only recently bought my own car, so I'm sorry if some things I wrote doesn't make sense, I'm still new to all this, but I'm trying to learn.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

d8out

TDI
1.9 TDI 66kw (AGR) Golf mk4
Thank you eddieleephd and at the same time I'm sorry for my not so good grammar, but english is not my native language...
I'll take a look at it as soon as I can and I'll let you know if I solved the problem

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Thank you eddieleephd and at the same time I'm sorry for my not so good grammar, but english is not my native language...
I'll take a look at it as soon as I can and I'll let you know if I solved the problem
I was just prodding you. Your doing better than a lot of people that only speak English. And your spelling is good, meaning you care enough to check it.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Greetings from europe, where we don't speak english either :)

If the car enters limp mode, runs slow for safety, if you restart the engine, it runs again as normal.

You must be getting some pressure deviation, overboost or underboost, you need to connect vcds an check out the fault code.

You can also look for oily boost hoses, usually is a sign of a leak.