2012 Touareg troubles - help problem solving

new2_tdi

TDI
2012 Touareg
I'm new to the TDI scene and (was) excited about the purchase of my 2012 Touareg TDI 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, my excitement (and patience) has grown thin -- as it's in the shop again at 1000 miles. There's something about watching your 30 day tags "drive" away from you on the back of a tow truck that just ain't right!

Here's the history: After 9 days of ownership and about 200 miles of blissful driving (car had 500 miles on it at purchase), the adblue warning light came on noting "700 miles adblue range". Upon very next start (and <5 miles later) it said "650 miles adblue range." We parked it and took to dealer after reading of some concerns with this system on the Club Touareg website. We were told that it needed new adblue pump. Five days later car was returned with new pump and for the first 300 miles it seemed to be fine. However, the adblue warning light has come on AGAIN saying "700 miles of blue range." Unfortunately, I was 300+ miles from home and nowhere near a VW dealer. Service department said they filled tank after replacing the pump and noted that it really wasn't low the first time. So, he assured me by phone that it had ad blue in it. While that might be true, if sensor reads a low level eventually it won't start - and the point of it actually having ad blue is a bit mute if you ask me. I called roadside assistance and am having it towed to a dealer and will evaluate on Monday when service dept is open.

Any thoughts from late model VW TDIers out there who have gotten to know their adblue systems...? Trying to come up with some educated guesses as to what might be going on. I'd also love advice about how best to handle this with VWA. This is getting a bit ridiculous...

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
The new touaregs actually do have a reset procedure for the light, no previous ones did. You can either go in and clear all the faults, or there is an adaptation channel you can reset to do it. I ran across this problem with a new one when I still worked at the dealer. One of the guys I work with had one that came in a few times for this, and a bad injector.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like VW is still trying to work out the bugs in their AdBlue system. Only thing I can offer is that after a certain amount of trips to the shop for the same issue, you're getting into Lemon Law territory.

Bear in Colorado

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
AdBlue Pump Issue

I, too, have had an issue with the AdBlue pump. We purchased ours back in March and at 3000 miles, the check engine light appeared. The dealer replaced the pump but in the notes said something about a possible ECM replacement may be necessary. They will "Continue to monitor the situation." I did notice that starting the engine would take a little longer before the pump was replaced and after, it started normally.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Toss parts at it!