Small oil leak? front of engine, above oil pan.

jyankus

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5man
While changing my oil today I noticed that a one of the stardrive screws holding the belly pan on the car was a bit oily. Upon inspection, a portion of the lower front of the oil pan (front == passengerside) had some oil residue on it. Shining a light up the front of the motor I noted that it appeared that something was leaking oil. No "drips" in 30 minutes of running/sitting that the motor did while on jackstands in the garage. Since the last oil change I didn't notice any unusual oil consumption.

Pictures attached. Any ideas? Something I should be worried about or just keep an eye on the oil level and get it looked at when the timing belt gets done later this spring?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jyankus/VWGolfTDI/photo?authkey=asj7x80QiiE#5164721848253595970

http://picasaweb.google.com/jyankus/VWGolfTDI/photo?authkey=asj7x80QiiE#5164721861138497874

http://picasaweb.google.com/jyankus/VWGolfTDI/photo?authkey=asj7x80QiiE#5164721869728432482

-jason

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
You need to get it fixed if the oil is getting on the serpentine or timing belt (looks like it in second pic).

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I would get it checked out by one of the guru's. It doesn't look horrible from the pictures, but it doesn't really look minor either....just my two cents.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Time to clean the engine off and figure it out yourself since you're there and we're not. Could be coming from the front of the engine (maybe the oil filter or mount) and getting blown around towards the back. Could be coming from up high like the valve cover or cam shaft seal and dripping down. Could be coming out of the front main. A can of engine degreaser and a garden hose will make a world of difference.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Time to clean the engine off and figure it out yourself since you're there and we're not. Could be coming from the front of the engine (maybe the oil filter or mount) and getting blown around towards the back. Could be coming from up high like the valve cover or cam shaft seal and dripping down. Could be coming out of the front main. A can of engine degreaser and a garden hose will make a world of difference.
Good point, this sounds like a job for one of those cool die and black-light kits. Absent the kit, degrease it very good and then take it for a good run and see if you can get a better idea where the leak it originating.

luvinvdubbin

TDI
01 Jetta IV
Oil Leak

I took my car in to my trusted mechanic when i had that problem. There is a seal above or around your timing belt that will need replacing. I was told that it will drip on your timing belt and the belt will slip causing more problems. Normally the mechanic will check the seal when changing the belt, because the belt needs to come off to change the seal(3 hours labour). Hope the helps. cheers

KROUT

persona non grata
It could be the front crank seal or cam seal running down. I would look form the top and see if its wet and running down. You can remove the upper timing belt cover and see if the cam seal area is wet.

Mericet

TDI
None
Hopefully it is one of the above problems and not the front sealing flange that cracked. If so, hope your local VW dealer has one in stock.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Front seal. Might as well do a complete T-belt job and change the cam seal too, that will start leaking next.

DanEboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2000 Auto
Yup, what's the mileage and when/who did the last TB cange?
I'd get it figured out sooner than later.
Just in case the oil is getting onto the TB!!!

jyankus

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5man
The belt has been changed at least once, possibly twice (my memory is a bit fuzzy and the file isn't in front of me). The car has 154k and change.

The car went to a shop I trust yesterday (Mike Tyre in Timonium). The diagnosis today is o-ring leading to themostat is bad. Easy fix. I'm getting him to change the timing belt on a "just to be sure basis"

I'm also getting my P0380 looked at for the umpteenth time. These guys are great, and they've saved me a PILE of money in the past (saved me from a 1200 dollar repair bill when the dealer wanted to replace my MAF when all I needed was a fuel pump relay). Sadly, I don't have a lot of hope that they'll get it straight since noone has solved the 380 in the past three years.

-jason

jyankus

TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5man
Sorry, I always mean to add that to the end of my comment, but forget.

It's a 2000 Golf GLS TDI with about 154-155k.

-jason