www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 18th, 2005, 09:43   #1
cruciform

Default No comm. at test port? can I get codes manually?

Ok, so I took my car to autozone the other day to get the codes for my CEL, as it's been on for some time now.

the machine could not communicate with the computer-
tried another autozone, and got the same results.. I pulled the diagnostic port out to check the pins, and they all look OK, and in place.. I don't have VAG COM right now, and was wondering if there is a way to check the test port? is there a way to pull the codes manually?

the car is a 96 TDi passat wagon..

Cheers,

Percy.
cruciform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 11:22   #2
GMCpatrick
Veteran Member

Default Re: No comm. at test port? can I get codes manually?

Percy - Please pardon the silly question, but was the car running?

If you'll update your profile with your location, there may be someone nearby willing to help.
GMCpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:19   #3
fastvicar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/44/41

Aftermarket stereo? Pull it out &amp; disconnect it for diagnostic session. My Alpine wouldn't let my Passat talk, either.
fastvicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 13:28   #4
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

If you still have the original BK ECU there are SOME codes that can be obtained via a blink code output. Insert the ignition key, turn it to ON, not START. Press the accelerator completely to the floor and release it completely five times within five seconds. The MIL will begin to flash a four digit code, count the flashes. NOTE: the code of the flash output does not match the VAG COM code. There is a separate look-up chart in the Bentley.
The "smoke fix" replacement ECU for the 96 is a GQ series. This ECU does not support the blink code, nor does the FA ECU for the 97 Passat.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 14:03   #5
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Aftermarket stereo? Pull it out &amp; disconnect it for diagnostic session. My Alpine wouldn't let my Passat talk, either.
The K-wire should not be connected to an aftermarket head unit at any time. A VW-specific harness adaptor should already eliminate this connection. If not, make sure to disconnect the K-wire permanently.
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:30   #6
Toronto_Vento
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/48/44

Strange...had a member come to a local GTG. Tried three laptops, couldn't communicate with his car. Yes, aftermarket stereo. Yes, we pulled it out. No, still couldn't communicate with the car. No idea what that was about as we couldn't solve the problem.
Toronto_Vento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 19:07   #7
Oilheat
Veteran Member

My 98 Jetta stuffed into a 91 wouldn't communicate with the engine controller until I restored the wiring correctly.
Way, way up on top of the fusebox to the left of the GP maxifuse is a separate junction box for the diagnostic circuit, with a bunch of grey and black wires going to it. All the communication wires from the various controllers meet here, as does the wire from the diagnostic port. By various controllers I mean the engine controller, airbag controller, seatbelt controller I think, and the security module, I think.
With my car it was a simple matter of not remembering to make the connections eight months after taking them apart; but this site could be a logical place to investigate lack of communication from the test port--the wire ends are simple snap-in connectors.
BTW, Messrs Bentley are very reluctant to divulge the above information. The only mention in the schematics that I could find occured in a wiring diagram for a gasser several years removed from my car.
Oilheat is offline   Reply With Quote