Why I dont like the RNS 315 GPS radio phone navigation system on my 2011 TDI JSW

MoreGuns

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
Greetings

I am new to the club and new to VW and diesel.

I posted this on turbodiesel but thought it would be good here too.

Why I dont like the RNS 315 GPS radio phone navigation system on my 2011 TDI JSW

I have no experience with any other in dash navigation so take it for what its worth. This unit will get you from A to B but IMO thats it. It lacks some very basic "extras" that reasonable portable units include.

1. Phone cannot dial POI details screen. (Like calling to check hours of operation of the POI). The number is displayed on the details screen
it should be able to dial it. So I somehow have to try and remember a 10 digit number and press a bunch of other buttons to call and see if
the store is even open.

2. GPS zoom out is far too minimunal during route navigation. About 5 other buttons are required to push to get to the overview map
and even then its not zoomable.

3. POI during route navigation is almost useless. Why do I care about a hotel, gas station, resturant 48 miles behind me?
There should be an option to only display POI's along my route (and not 48 miles behind me). I mean really, Are you going to turn around
and drive for 48 miles (96 miles total) to get a sandwich and a drink? If the POI was a mile or two I can unserstand but they got this one
all wrong.

4.There are three different volume settings (Phone GPS Radio) and its far too much of a hassel to figure out the right one.
So when I am talking to my passenger and the GPS *****ing betty comes on I hit the mute button but it only takes effect for that single
voice turn indication. There should be a seperate power button so I can select the volume device I want by pushing the volume button.
Or something really simple to that effect. As it is the volume settings for the particular device are burried in layers of menus. Or at the very
least have the steering wheel volume buttons control whatever device is active (This does not work for navigation).

5. GPS *****ing betty says continue following road. Well, OK, For how long? 8 miles? 50 miles? 100? I dont like to have it just spring
the turn on me in the last mile. The next turn should ALWAYS be available or displayed and its not.

6. Sirius traffic intergration is not available for GPS navigation. Even though the broucher I got with it says that its available.

A basic $200 Navigation system does these things. For $500 I expected MUCH more from this system. So now I have to either hang a GPS from the windsheild that does what it should do or spend more money to replace the POS thats in there right now.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Did you try the unit on a test drive prior to purchase?:rolleyes:

Greetings
I am new to the club and new to VW and diesel.
I have no experience with any other in dash navigation so take it for what its worth. This unit will get you from A to B but IMO thats it. It lacks some very basic "extras" that reasonable portable units include.
1. Phone cannot dial POI details screen. (Like calling to check hours of operation of the POI). The number is displayed on the details screen
it should be able to dial it. So I somehow have to try and remember a 10 digit number and press a bunch of other buttons to call and see if
the store is even open.
2. GPS zoom out is far too minimunal during route navigation. About 5 other buttons are required to push to get to the overview map
and even then its not zoomable.
3. POI during route navigation is almost useless. Why do I care about a hotel, gas station, resturant 48 miles behind me?
There should be an option to only display POI's along my route (and not 48 miles behind me). I mean really, Are you going to turn around
and drive for 48 miles (96 miles total) to get a sandwich and a drink? If the POI was a mile or two I can unserstand but they got this one
all wrong.
4.There are three different volume settings (Phone GPS Radio) and its far too much of a hassel to figure out the right one.
So when I am talking to my passenger and the GPS *****ing betty comes on I hit the mute button but it only takes effect for that single
voice turn indication. There should be a seperate power button so I can select the volume device I want by pushing the volume button.
Or something really simple to that effect. As it is the volume settings for the particular device are burried in layers of menus. Or at the very
least have the steering wheel volume buttons control whatever device is active (This does not work for navigation).
5. GPS *****ing betty says continue following road. Well, OK, For how long? 8 miles? 50 miles? 100? I dont like to have it just spring
the turn on me in the last mile. The next turn should ALWAYS be available or displayed and its not.
6. Sirius traffic intergration is not available for GPS navigation. Even though the broucher I got with it says that its available.
A basic $200 Navigation system does these things. For $500 I expected MUCH more from this system. So now I have to either hang a GPS from the windsheild that does what it should do or spend more money to replace the POS thats in there right now.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Did you try the unit on a test drive prior to purchase?:rolleyes:

Yeah, the way the original post is written, I thought the same thing...

Any option that will be hard to live with if it doesn't meet my expectations, I'm going to check out thoroughly.

I recently bought my car and my thoughts on factory NAV were that it had better really knock it out of the park for me to live with it come time to sell the car. In 3 years, where will NAV be? Will most used car buyers be more interested in a stand-alone offering? In relation to the RNS 315, most likely.

Now, from a user's review perspective, great thread and thanks for taking the time to share it.

WEC4104

TDI
-
I find it ironic to open VW's 2011 Sportwagen sale brochure, and read one of the first paragraphs:

"A VW doesn't just start off as sheet metal and engine parts. It begins as an idea. A belief that getting the little things right is a big thing. A viewpoint that asks why dumb it down when you can smart it up..."

Then they turn right around and shrink the NAV screen, and eliminate the 30 GB hard drive. Not to mention what they have done to the sedan.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It does sound like you lost some things compared to the RNS510, but I think this one might be more or less the same. I think some of this information is deliberately shared on the MFD, so it really takes the Map and the MFD to give you all the information you want. It is true that the road name for the next turn may not be displayed in the MFD until you approach, but I have found that the MFD has very clear signals about when the next turn will be coming. For me, with the RNS510 and the MFD information, I really can't imagine a better set-up.

For the volume settings, I think the RNS510 does have the screen you are missing for adjusting the different volumes, but it actually turns out better if you adjust the different volumes during the operation. Otherwise, the sounds are adjusted out of context with the other things going on in the car. Ask A SalesGuy has a video about it (link below). Again it is with the RNS510, but I think it makes the point that it works best to adjust the different volumes during their operation rather than accessing a different screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJH2b9BsQF8&feature=player_embedded

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
dudes this is mad cheap for a fully loaded nav. I was about to ask the OP if he wanted to trade his RNS315 for my RCD510, but damn that thing is loaded for $400. This is ridiculous. Seriously some one post the link to the thread so I can read the reviews.

Pretty sure it's some no name chinese product. Gotta wonder how well it actually works. Things like the quality of the LCD, how fast or slow it is moving around within it's functions, etc. Some stuff actually is pretty decent, but most stuff like this seems like they would come with a cheap low quality screen, very slow buggy operation, generally all around just barely function in doing what it says. But yeah, seems to do everything but HD/digital radio and it is pretty cheap.

edit--did some reading and watched some youtube vids of those type units. They seem to move around pretty quickly...not near as slow and laggy like I would of expected. Screen seems to be better then what I would excpect as well, but on the same note, not as good as they probably could be. They DO seem to be plenty buggy in operation though, as expected. Despite that, if they could do just a couple things differently, I think they might be worth trying, even with the bugginess. The first is if they could use/interface the car's existing bluetooth in the same sort of way the RNS-510's do vs it's own internal setup which seems to not work that well. The second is a day/night mode based on headlights like any other car. I dont know about the nav, but at least the RCD510 in mine doesnt even do that.....but screen brightness and the ease of changing it seems to be a problem on those type units. I dont know why as every other car radio has been able to do this for many years. Anyhow, seems like all those chinese radios stem from the same model, just with different names and such. Seems like the newest one is an AS-7608.

Last edited:

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
dudes this is mad cheap for a fully loaded nav. I was about to ask the OP if he wanted to trade his RNS315 for my RCD510, but damn that thing is loaded for $400. This is ridiculous. Seriously some one post the link to the thread so I can read the reviews.

I've been dealing on the bay for many years and there's enough negative "review" data there for both the seller and what they sell. I'd run away.

On another note, who thinks that NAV down in the location where the radio is, is optimal? Once you've worked with a NAV screen in a HUD similar location, it's hard to live with a below dash location. Could be my years of experience with the F-16 however.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
I've been dealing on the bay for many years and there's enough negative "review" data there for both the seller and what they sell. I'd run away.

On another note, who thinks that NAV down in the location where the radio is, is optimal? Once you've worked with a NAV screen in a HUD similar location, it's hard to live with a below dash location. Could be my years of experience with the F-16 however.

I've had a couple cars with in dash nav. They tend to have a bit less features over all then the portable units, but tend to work better being tied into some of the vehicle sensors and often containing gyros and such. I have never had an issue with the location as I dont tend to stare at the map, rather watch the road...thats what the voice is for. When it tells you you are coming up on a turn, just a quick glance down to maybe see how many side streets or intersections it is away, stuff like this is all it takes.

That said, they have fallen out of favor to me for 2 reasons...

1) Nav isnt something that is needed every time you drive for most people. Unless you are an idiot, you shouldnt need it to get around your own local area to the same frequented places. I mean some people do need it alot, like maybe delivery drivers and people always in different unfamiliar areas and such, but that isnt the norm. Given that, most factory jobs have a disclaimer you have to hit every time you start the car, even if you arent using the nav. I never understood why most if not all wont default to the audio, and save the disclaimer for when you actually try using any nav function. It becomes annoying.

2) The portable units have gotten a lot better, and while still not perfect in some aspects, will still get you where you want to go just as easily for the times you do need to use it. You can also buy whole new decent units for less then the price of an upgraded map set for OEM nav, nevermind the initial cost of the OEM nav.

my 2 cents.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
How many of these features (lack of) could be fixed with a software update? Any access using VAG-COM?

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Some one sell me or trade me their RNS-315. I am willing to give it a go. I will stay away from the chinese unit b/c I like my factor systems.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Good choice. :rolleyes: This is another awesome rant by clueless new owners. Add this one to your collection of fuel sloshing, engine stumbling, HPFP, bluetooth, biodiesel, fuel additive, DPF regen, DSG, hesitation when taking off, EGR gasket, sunroof whistling, spare tire 'wreaking' & DRL threads.

My advice to deal with this tragedy? Sell the car, buy a new pair of SAS Velcro-closure shoes, pull your pastel pants up past your nipples and yell at the kids to get off your damn lawn.

:D

Welcome to TDIClub. Good luck.

aapocketz

TDI
2010 sportwagen
I for one appreciate your review and your honest opinion. What is so wrong with expressing your opinion of a component of the car, especially one that is optional? It will help people make informed decisions. Seems like scurvy is more like the "off my lawn" types he so derides...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
ROTFLMFAO!!!..........Scurvy is 100% CORRECT!
VW TDI's or any VW is not for everyone folks!! They (VW) have taken a path of trying to sell you a cheaper car for several years now!!! and this is what comes of it!!
Do your homework folks before you make a 27,000 mistake!!

MoreGuns

TDI
2011 TDI JSW
Good choice. :rolleyes: This is another awesome rant by clueless new owners. Add this one to your collection of fuel sloshing, engine stumbling, HPFP, bluetooth, biodiesel, fuel additive, DPF regen, DSG, hesitation when taking off, EGR gasket, sunroof whistling, spare tire 'wreaking' & DRL threads.

My advice to deal with this tragedy? Sell the car, buy a new pair of SAS Velcro-closure shoes, pull your pastel pants up past your nipples and yell at the kids to get off your damn lawn.

:D

Welcome to TDIClub. Good luck.

Get a haircut!:D

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
ROTFLMFAO!!!..........Scurvy is 100% CORRECT!
VW TDI's or any VW is not for everyone folks!! They (VW) have taken a path of trying to sell you a cheaper car for several years now!!! and this is what comes of it!!
Do your homework folks before you make a 27,000 mistake!!
U only paid 27000!?!

I really like the nav. Much better than the one in my e320 cdi! I like how it zooms in and out, how easy it is to enter a destination, the different povs. Thought i wouldnt use it but for display. It's growing on me every day.

Last edited:

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
tedkidd said:
U only paid 27000!?!
I gave a lot less than that for a 2012....

I didn't want the NAV, and got to this thread because I was searching for the RNS315 and traffic; the traffic would be the best reason to keep the sirus subscription (otherwise, I don't care).

the store is even open.
So...there is this microphone button on the wheel. You press it and say "DIAL" and then read off the display... that's totally unreasonable, compared to hitting two or three menu buttons to send the nunber to the phone given the menu interface's design.

My gripe is I want a male voice, preffibly with a British accent.

I see it as: NAV came with the car...for what I paid for the car, I don't rightly care. Can always downgrade to the standard radio later if it really bugs me.

Last edited:

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Holy Necro Batman!

You might wanna check the date of the last post, you're a bit over two years late to the party.

squid

TDI
Want a 2014 GTD
look ahead intuition of navigation systems is lacking

all wrong.
When you have programmed in and are proceeding along a route to a destination, a listing of POI along the way should take precedence over POI near me. This weakness is hardly unique to VW installed systems, though.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Holy Necro Batman!

You might wanna check the date of the last post, you're a bit over two years late to the party.
Irrelevant. No one gave an answer to the #1 complaint, given this thread comes up as a top 5 on Google.com, it's good that someone address the greviences with known solutions or work arounds for future owners or shoppers.

Merry Christmas!

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
i dislike most built-in gps systems. most of them really are very basic. i personally like a sub $100 portable kind. (i have a garmin) it has more features and i can take it with me. i really like the touchscreen radio though. i just don't have it with gps.

Soltero

TDI
MK5, MK6 DSG // Q7 4.2TDI
How much does RNS's cost in the Us? I live in Guadalajara, Mexico and If you want to equip ur vehicule with this navigation systems, specially Rns 315 & 510, the cost at the dealer is 2400 and 2600 USD respectively :S

Stallhorn

TDI
2011 sprotwagen
How much does RNS's cost in the Us? I live in Guadalajara, Mexico and If you want to equip ur vehicule with this navigation systems, specially Rns 315 & 510, the cost at the dealer is 2400 and 2600 USD respectively :S
Dealer wanted $800 when I bought my 2011 in sep 2010. I offered them 400 and they took it. It is probably worth $100 or less. My favorite stupid trick the gps does is tell me "you have reached your destination. Your destination is on the left/right" AFTER I have already gotten there. I then have to get back in traffic to go to the other side of the street.

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
my big problem with the factory navigation is waypoints or lack of them!
have you ever tried to look up a business by name or anythor other major businesses and landmarksing like that it has P. O. I For the VW dealers but nothing for hospitals you can't find many things that are common everywhere else

not to mention the backwards way of entering an address manuallyif I known what it was that bad I would have skipped that option

TDIL

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG Tech Package
Well since this thread was revived, I guess I can take the opportunity to vent... Feature functions aside, the factory nav is terrible for one big reason: it can't be trusted to map a good route. The bottom line is that I have to plan my own route before any kind of out of town trip, because the factory system suggests such bizarre routes. That really defeats the primary purpose of an in-car system. Frankly I'm not much concerned about all the zooming, speech accents and other details that I'm either too busy driving to use or that would get old no matter what. I just want to enter in an address and get there as fast as possible. That's rarely what happens with the VW nav system. My three year old Garmin does a much better job. After 20k miles, the unreliability of the nav system is really about my only complaint about the car.

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)
We (my wife, dog, and I) are in the middle of an 1800+ mile trip and have been using the new Google Maps app on iPhone (on this mount). After experimenting with the Apple Maps app, and having it send us up a road closed for winter in southern Utah, we realized that the quality of the data behind the app is really important! We also love how easy it is to find restaurants, dog parks, etc. with Google.

Whatever the tech, it has to be updatable. For me that means a smart phone at this point. But I'm sure most cars will eventually have a built-in data link like the Tesla S.