Door lock actuator 2006 Jetta driver door EBay fail, where to get a good one?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
So my driver door lock was showing as failed and failing to actually lock the door on my 06 Jetta. The symptoms were that when clicking lock on the FOB, nothing would happen, or sometimes it would indicate success by the short beep, but the door did not actually lock, and opening it would sound the alarm. It could be locked with the key though.

So I went shopping for a door lock. I found a 'great deal' replacement door lock actuator on ebay for about $26.10, auction 291630090448 with ebay vendor partsbuddy . I also replaced the door wiring harness, as I found it to have cracked insulation, but in continuity checking everything post-mortem, concluded that it had not actually failed.

I replaced everything cited above and everything was fine for several months. About 2 months ago, I began to notice that slamming the driver door shut did not actually succeed. It had to be shut gently or it would bounce open. This symptom has been increasing, which I thought odd, but was content to endure. Two days ago, I made a hard right turn and the driver door flew open. Furthermore, it has become a challenge to shut the driver door with exactly the right amount of force that will result in a successful close.

So it is clear to me that the adage, 'you get what you pay for' is a factor here. Researching on ebay for this part shows hundreds of these by many vendors have been sold similarly cheap. This indicates to me the commonality of the issue.

From the distinguished participants in this forum, I have the following questions. First, has anyone had continuously good results with ebay replacement door latches? Second, can anyone recommend the best source for a door lock actuator that is not a piece of crap?

Many thanks to the contributors to this forum. I could not even hope to own a car like this without you.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Pay the money and purchase the actuator from a VW dealer.

Use on of the online VW Dealer parts sites like

http://1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

I replaced the drivers and passenger front door actuators on my 05.5 Jetta,
the drivers side was purchased from the online VW Dealer, the passenger from
one of the 3rd party online suppliers (one that supports this site, not really a problem with the supplier, I purchase a lot of good parts from them).

Based on the price I paid for the passenger side, it is not a factory part, but probably from the same source manufacturer.

The problem with the passenger side is that the handle return spring is not tight/strong, and the door handle does not return, you have to touch it for it to spring back.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
If you still have the original failed actuator, don't buy some cheap Chinese crap on E-Bay. Rather, fix the old one. Here is a link you may be interested in:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451892. The actuators haven't changed much between 2006 and 2010, so the process should be identical. Good luck!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Pay the money and purchase the actuator from a VW dealer.

Use on of the online VW Dealer parts sites like

http://1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

I replaced the drivers and passenger front door actuators on my 05.5 Jetta,
the drivers side was purchased from the online VW Dealer, the passenger from
one of the 3rd party online suppliers (one that supports this site, not really a problem with the supplier, I purchase a lot of good parts from them).

Based on the price I paid for the passenger side, it is not a factory part, but probably from the same source manufacturer.

The problem with the passenger side is that the handle return spring is not tight/strong, and the door handle does not return, you have to touch it for it to spring back.
That site apparently no longer offers door lock actuators for sale.