Ckra...ea288...?

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
When did it change?

Why did it change?

What changed?

Just curious if anyone can help enlighten me...Thanks!

shegel

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta 2015 Passat
I think the 15 passat has the CVCA engine not the CKRA engine. my engine cover atleast says CVCA. i know the ea288 moved the water intercooler to the intake manifold instead of inline and this is the reason the oil filter moved down under the car instead of up on top like previous generations. umm. i've read that vw is claiming that the ea288 tdi engines have a "lifetime" timing belt which is lubricated by the engine oil.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
After perusing the tech study guide on the EA288 someone put on line, it is a VERY different engine than the CKRA, although its performance seems to be very similar.
It is evidently one of the first, and maybe VW's first completely modular engines, e.g., the cams are mounted in an assembly that bolts onto the top of the engine. This assembly is not serviceable at any level (except presumably the factory).

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
When did it change?

Why did it change?

What changed?

Just curious if anyone can help enlighten me...Thanks!
A lot changed. VW rolled out their modular engine platforms so it affects everything from where subsystems reside (intercooler for one) to how they interact with other subsystems.

Here is something I put together that might help with the when and with what models: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324509

Last edited:

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Thanks for the link to the chart - quite helpful.

Lifetime timing belt? Now that's scary...

So basically EA288 and CVCA mean the same engine, and it's new as of 2015 - got it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
EA288 is a family of engines (kind of like AHU and ALH are both VE engines), while CVCA is the specific engine code for the 2015 Passat. I believe the engine in the 2015 Golf is the CRUA... not sure about what Jettas and Beetles have.

CKRA was the Passat engine from 2012 - 2014 and was the first North American TDI to get a liquid intercooler and high speed solenoid fuel injectors.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Its a lifetime oil pump drive belt, not cam drive timing belt.
The oil pump drive belt lasts for the life of the engine which ends when the belt breaks!

From the VW tech info manual:

The oil pump and a vacuum pump are combined in a
housing on the bottom of the cylinder block. These pumps
share a common drive shaft. This drive shaft is driven by
the crankshaft using a toothed belt. The maintenance-free
toothed belt runs directly in the oil. The tension on the belt
is not adjustable and is created by the placement of the
sprockets.

There is no such statement for the cam timing belt that I can find, but I haven't looked at the service interval listings.

Toothed Belt Drive
The engine timing components are driven by the crankshaft via a toothed belt. From the crankshaft, the toothed belt is routed
to the belt tensioner, over the camshaft drive wheel, to the drive wheel of the high-pressure pump for the common rail injection
system, and then to the drive wheel of the coolant pump. Two idler rollers ensure better meshing of the gear wheels and the
toothed belt.

For those who and the 2009 with one piece DPF and CAT:

Exhaust Purification System
The TDI exhaust purification system has an oxidizing catalytic converter and a diesel particulate filter. These components are
integrated into a single module. This close arrangement allows the oxidizing catalytic converter and the diesel particulate filter
to heat up quickly, and the operating temperatures of the catalytic converter can be reached faster. ( more expensive!)

With load condition of 45 grams, a service
regeneration is no longer possible, because
the risk of destroying the filter is too high. The
filter must be replaced.

Some of the reasons I bought a low mileage 2103 JSW instead of the 2015 GSW.
The engine is even more complicated than the previous TDIs and I think I will wait to see what develops before I invest in all of that technology.
A few MPG is not worth thousands of dollars for keeping it going.
My wife preferred the JSW style she was used to over the new GSW.
The killer was the CD player in the glovebox instead of in the center top of the radio in the dash. (she listens to books on CD)
It was also lower and she sis not care for that either. (shiny dash etc. Who knows what the girls want!)

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
EA288 states variable valve timing and roller rockers, does the CKRA have VVT?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
EA288 states variable valve timing and roller rockers, does the CKRA have VVT?
The CKRA does not have variable valve timing. It does have roller rockers.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CKRA, at least for this market, was the last gasp of the "old" engine family (dating back to 1998). The only other engine currently sold here from that family is the gas 2.0L engine in the Jetta S, which is sadly slated to go away after the 2015 model year.

That said, the CKRA is quite a bit different than the other CR diesels within that family, the CBEA and CJAA. It shares hardly any parts with the others in fact. It is quite unique, really.

The new family of engines, while not a radical departure from the basic layout, is very different yet, and while the 2015+ Passat still does get a unique engine code, it isn't really all that different from the 2015+ Golf, Jetta, A3, and Beetle.

Keep in mind, we only see a small fraction of the engines that VAG produces for various markets around the world. It is likely the CKRA is not all that unique in Europe, as it may share a lot of components with other engine codes sold there.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
that's my luck, (maybe good luck) as my civic has the last gasp of the trusty unbreakable D engine with coil packs :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 1.7L Civic engine is notorious for worn out valve stems causing a need for "by feel" valve adjustments since a feeler gauge will no longer fit in the dished out top of the valve, and worse, the dreaded wiped out cam journal which causes excessive thrust in the cam and causes the TDC sensor to set faults and the engine to stall. Honda has a TSB about this. The fix is a new $1000 cylinder head. That is all assuming they don't die first from running out of oil from runaway consumption.

They are great for about 150k miles, 200k sometimes. But after that, they get pretty worn out. But the 2001-2005 Civic in general seems pretty worn out overall by that time. The crappy struts are usually blown before 100k and lots of people will just keep on driving them that way until they beat the crap out of everything else and the whole car becomes a steaming pile of fail.

I think 2000 was the last "good" Civic myself. :cool:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
PM sent, because everything you touched on- I am beginning to notice on my 2001 that has been fed nice high zink amsoil from birth, its now @ 295K Cam rattle at high RPM, likes to stall as I let out the clutch, struts and control arm bushings all replaced last week infact, extreamly worn out..... but mostly because I jumped it 2' in the air at 120mph coming back from Alaska on a huge frost heave, pretty lucky to be alive and im not over stating that one bit.

Last edited: