Friends don't let friends drive their car

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
<snip> Yes, this is exactly what every uneducated driver has done when I encourage them to see how fast my car is. They just don't understand the difference between driving fast and working the controls fast. Driving fast = :cool: Grabbing my shifter and trying to rip it out while dropping the clutch... = Not cool.
Yes, that is a pet peave of mine as well.

The concept of SMOOTH just fails to impress itself upon the average driver.

Find a thing called a 'Bowling Pin Match' and go watch the difference between the 'jerks in a hurry' (yanking the trigger and moving the gun in 'jerks'..) and the match winner that 'takes his time real sudden'(He moves 'smoothly' and 'slowly' but gets done in half the time).

I shift with my fingertips and wrist, not some kung fu chokehold.:)

Bill

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Keeb,

I went for a ride with my VCDS activated.

At 4000 rpm in 3rd gear, my IQ reading was 51-62, with the 'go pedal' to the floor.

Here are my setting in adaptation: IQ:8 ; timing: 4 .

My temp, while driving, was between 90-94.5C.

Also, when coasting in gear (foot off the 'go pedal') the IQ reading was zero. So, I guess no fuel is used when coasting in gear...?

df

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
DF PM me your email, I'll send you the logs of my car with the IQ and timing. I try reading that stuff and it just makes my head spin -_-

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
what he said, you can actually watch your EGT sink to almost 0 with your foot of the pedal and in gear.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
no but NE ohio winter i've gotten the gauge down to 54 on a long hill coast ;)

I couldn't get it to 0 anyway cause my egt gauge only reads down to 34.2 ;)

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Keeb,

I couldn't get the nubers to line up in a spread sheet. I was a mess of numbers. I don't have excel, but I tried to load it into OpenOffice (spread sheet). No luck.

But, from what I could tell, at 39xx rpm, it looked like your duty cycle was 94%.

Look at your spread sheet at the 3800-4000+ rpmrange. If the duty cycle is over 80%, you need to adjust your actuator arm length.

I would start by adjusting the arm to start moving at 5 inHg and record a log. Check to duty cycle. If you are at 80% or higher, make an adjustment to the actuator arm length. Make sure you remember which way you are turning the adjustment rod Clockwise or counter-clockwise).

df

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually was going to do that! Haha Scrapen stopped by today and his actuator actually starts moving at 1.5inHg and is full open by 15inHg and it runs twenty times better than mine. I'll try to get to it between today and tomorrow, been so busy working on everyone else's cars lately =/

Mom's focus is dying, rear main seal is dead. TP has a short in it that I've fixed twice now, Valve cover was leaking oil, A/C has a leak and don't even get me started on the f-350 :(

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
1.5inHg and is full open by 15inHg
Of course it runs twenty times better, I bet it's overboosting and giving him a bunch of extra boost. That can't be good. What's his duty cycle at 4k? 99%?

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Just looked at the logs WOT 4000k rpms requesting 2600mbar duty cycle is at 59.6 percent, so not even close guess there lmao.

actually, his car isn't overboosting at all. Mine, however, is. His is controlled very smooth almost no spikes... he has some light surge, but not even as bad as mine. So I'm going to try that and see what happens.

IIRC your car originally was cracking at 1inHg and fully open close to 18inHg ;)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
That's surprising! No one I hear has theirs open that soon.

1inHg ... Wait wait wait, are you talking about my current turbo? Matt doesn't remember!! **** is overboosting horribly/surging anything below 4inHG. Were you there that day?

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
haha I may be thinking of the wrong car!! Don't shoot me haha!!

Well, I'll give it a shot and I'll let you know how it goes? maybe it will make it works... I can always put it back though.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
adjusted.... cracks at 4.5 or so 4.5 or 4.8 i can't tell lol. car runs twenty times better. about to go do some logs!

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I thought it would. Hey, Jon Hamilton is the one who told me he always sets the actuator to start movement @ 5 inHg.

Jon knows these engines. :>)

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm gonna try to hook the EMP gauge back up tomorrow and see how it is correlating (sp?) with the boost. I ran some logs, but they're on my laptop and I'm burnt out and don't feel like looking at it right now haha. Start again tomorrow!

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
im a little new at adjusting the actuator....or figuring out what it's currently at... can anyone point me to a thread describing how to do it?? or does anyone wanna quick give me the 101?

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh, I'm not sure if there is a 101 on it or not. In a nut shell though:

Using a mity vac you can apply vacuum to the dash pot/actuator under the car and see where it breaks free/when it is fully open. You adjust this by shortening or lengthening the actuator rod via breaking the set nut free and then turning the other nut (which isn't really a nut it's just a round sleeve with threads in it). Then you lock the set nut again and check your vacuum.

Do this at your own risk though, usually for OEM turbos or the hybrid turbos such as the 17/22 I've found to be just fine the way they are from the factory.

Have to be careful about doing the whole thing though, shouldn't mess with it a lot unless you have an EMP gauge to check that your EMPs aren't getting way too high.

I'm actually going to hook mine up today or tomorrow and go for a test drive again.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
keeb,

I found the log you sent me for OpenOffice.

Everything looked good to me in that log.

There was a couple of abberations, but nothing jumped out to me as being faulty.

At 4090 or lower rpm, the duty cycle never went above 80%.

How's the engine performing now (drivabilty)?

df

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Car is running much better, a lot more responsive. Looking into getting a gauge that reads higher than 30. Ocassionally (even before I adjusted the actuator) I would have spikes and I would just lift my foot out of it. I have a temporary 60 psi gauge hooked up and the spikes look like they only hit 31 on avg highest i've seen is 34. The problem with when it hits 34 is it doesn't come back down (obviously I take my foot out of it)

So having a gauge that reads high enough would be helpful IMO

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
keeb, you need a different build thread, at least give your car some good vibes. STarting it off the way it did makes it bit sad. Despite the positive outcome =)

and oh noez

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
keeb, you need a different build thread, at least give your car some good vibes. STarting it off the way it did makes it bit sad. Despite the positive outcome =)

and oh noez

I know right? Well I'm sending my McNally gauge out to be upgraded to 40PSI. Then I can hook the autometer gauge back up as the EMP gauge (Need to drill a new hole in my exhaust manifold though cause I currently use the EGT port lol).

Hoping to get to the dyno in another week here and see where the car is at.

85 - I have no problems with you, just don't get my thread locked!:mad:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
What are you doing here? I thought you got banned.
And based on the primary poster in that thread, disregard its contents and get your information from a reputable source.

ETA- sorry, not trying to get your thread locked, just good advise is all.

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Of course it runs twenty times better, I bet it's overboosting and giving him a bunch of extra boost. That can't be good. What's his duty cycle at 4k? 99%?
We took a log if you'd like to look at it. The more sets of eyes that look at it, the better ;), because I dont know what's good or bad when it comes to reading logs.

Mike, it's good to see your car is running much better.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Hey it's just a wild idea that the vanes cracking open at 1" isn't overboosting.

If it works, it works, just very very different from everyone else's actuator setup (big turbo or not).