CEL, Emissions Inspector will not test car

scottsails2

TDI
99 Jetta
99 jetta has fault code p1248, injection start control deviation, emissions will not test car until no CEL. The CEL comes on 28 seconds after start. I took car to vw dealer $288 unable to set pump timing.They contacted tech support, found possible flow blockage informed to replace fuel filter as start with need for additional diagn. I changed filter, TB, and tensioner-no joy. Took car to a different vw dealer $419 unable to set pump timing. Pump out of specs, needs new pump $1300 and then recheck. I think they are to eager to take my money, any suggestions? Thanks, Scott

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I saw this once on an injection pump that the T-belt was one tooth off on the injection pump once . Not a T-belt job I had done . I Redid the T-belt job moving the t-belt one tooth and the issue went away .

Also saw this once on a 00 Golf . The dealer couldn't figure it out so they did a free pump replacement . My bet it was the same issue as above but the car was under warranty so I didn't futze with it .

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the pump timing (mechanical...i.e. the belt) is done correctly, and the pump still will not time, then you need to have the pump rebuilt or replaced. Sometimes a hammer mod will help, but on a '98 I would want the pump rebuilt properly anyways.

auto_tech

Vendor
TDI
SOLD - 2001 Jetta blue; 2016 Jetta 1.4TSI 5spd
It does sound like a pump problem. If you do a little searching on here, I'm sure there's a list of certified shops that test and rebuild Bosch injection pumps. I would highly recommend sending the injectors along and have them tested too. If metal particles were wearing the pump down, they would get pumped into the injectors... nozzle problems. I think BleachedBora has exchange units available, if you ask him. Last time I checked with him, the prices were reasonable.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I would highly recommend sending the injectors along and have them tested too. If metal particles were wearing the pump down, they would get pumped into the injectors...
Hey, at this point your car is probably ready for new injector nozzles, anyway.