turbo failures??

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Been kinda snooping around the forum, looking for indications of unusually high rate of turbo failures. Haven't found any, but I've been lead to believe this is happening. Anyone know anything?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I haven't noticed anything in the forum as of late that would indicate that...

Although people are worrying about USLD and leaky IP's :)

JakeTO

Funny you should mention..

I had a the N75 sensor in my turbo go two days ago.

Could anyone explain what that is / does? :) It was covered under warranty and replaced at Bramgate.

Does anyone know how likely it was that they messed up the N75 sensor while doing the EGR cooler swap?

Cheers.

Jake

Last edited:

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
There used to be a lot of turbo failures when people started chipping their cars. The tuners didn't realize that the spikes in boost could screw up the turbos big time. That's why a lot of people went to the investment of a dawes device or similar. After these measures were taken, and things were more understood, the rate of turbo failures decreased.

There still are some turbos which fail...but generally if a VW dealer does the work, and tells a customer to replace the turbo, it's often a mis-diagnosis.

Diesel4me

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/2000/Black
The N75 is the valve that controls the output of the turbo. This is done by modulating the wastegate via the VNT. Turbo problems are common but are usually attributed to corrosion in the VNT or a carboned up turbo.

As a prevention for the latter one should redline their diesel daily.:cool:

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Toronto_Vento said:
There used to be a lot of turbo failures when people started chipping their cars. The tuners didn't realize that the spikes in boost could screw up the turbos big time. That's why a lot of people went to the investment of a dawes device or similar. After these measures were taken, and things were more understood, the rate of turbo failures decreased.

There still are some turbos which fail...but generally if a VW dealer does the work, and tells a customer to replace the turbo, it's often a mis-diagnosis.
Had my Jetta in at Woodstock on Wednesday, to be diagnosed by a distinguished diesel technician. It goes back this coming Wednesday, getting a new turbo, done under warrantee. There was a comment made that this dealer has seen a number of failures recently, specifically with non-chipped PD's. I was just being curious with my orginal post.

upi

TDI
2015 Jetta
OhMagoo said:
Had my Jetta in at Woodstock on Wednesday, to be diagnosed by a distinguished diesel technician. It goes back this coming Wednesday, getting a new turbo, done under warrantee. There was a comment made that this dealer has seen a number of failures recently, specifically with non-chipped PD's. I was just being curious with my orginal post.
I assume you mean the Woodstock VW dealer? I am curious why you took it to Woodstock - you mentioned the tech?
Had a 03 TDI that I traded in this summer and it was having turbo problems, no mods or chips on it. Had to stomp on the gas and get it over 2500 rpm, before the power kicked in, otherwise it stayed in limp mode.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
upi said:
Had to stomp on the gas and get it over 2500 rpm, before the power kicked in, otherwise it stayed in limp mode.
That is not limp mode.

Limp mode occurs when the ECU detects a significant and sustained discrepancy between requested and actual boost. The ECU assumes it is no longer able to control boost levels directly, so it tries to protect the turbo from excessive pressures by reducing fueling - aka limp mode.

The ECU reverts to normal fueling whenever the ignition is switched from off to on, but it will go back into limp mode if there is another boost control discrepancy. Cycling the ignition is the only way to clear limp mode.

Simon

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
upi said:
I assume you mean the Woodstock VW dealer? I am curious why you took it to Woodstock - you mentioned the tech?
Had a 03 TDI that I traded in this summer and it was having turbo problems, no mods or chips on it. Had to stomp on the gas and get it over 2500 rpm, before the power kicked in, otherwise it stayed in limp mode.
If you go to Woodstock VW, there is a tech there called Gerry. He's known as Diesel Dazzler here. He is an excellent person to talk to in general, and is very knowledgable about diesels. He knows his TDIs inside and out. If you take your car there, try and request that he works on your car specifically.