www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 24th, 2018, 05:06   #16
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

ball joints arent really a load or power area where it would shake violently. if you jack up a tire, either push/pull on bottom of tire, or take a engine pry bar and try to pry tire out, and see if it has play. mostly this will tell you if a ball joint is bad. seems what your describing is in the power 'train' it mostly stops at the cv/axle ends, and may include the wheel hubs, and perhaps wheel bearings.
id get underneath, put on stands and check all nuts/bolts,fasteners for tightness, for one, with up on stands and someone in drivers seat, check inner cv bolts are well snug. check brakes, calipers are good and tight too..other than that thats all the help i can be for now. gl.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 17:11   #17
bigred177
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Jetta

Is there any way to peek into the transmission/differential to check its health? Could something in there be causing the problems?

My clutch Master was not holding pressure so I thought maybe it was causing some interference with something. Changed it out and now it feels much better, and safer, but no change on the original problem.

Putting the car on stands and in gear there is a little play rotating the wheels back and forth along with some noise from the transmission/differential. No slop at all in either axle. I have a new passenger axle, but don't want to mess with that unless I have to.
Old January 27th, 2018, 17:26   #18
bigred177
Veteran Member

The transmission has always had a good fluid level in it and it's never been hard to shift in any gear and it stays in gear.
Old January 27th, 2018, 17:29   #19
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Not that I am aware of. You can pull the 5th gear cover and check what you can inside, but I know of no way to check things going on inside. Sorry.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 17:34   #20
bigred177
Veteran Member

I need a dyno I can drive the car on and look under the hood. Haha
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:43   #21
bigred177
Veteran Member

I had pulled it up onto ramps the other day and when I drove it afterwards it still made the noise. I just had it up on jack stands off of the wheels and now it's not making any noise at all. It's done this a few times. Maybe a clue?
Old January 29th, 2018, 15:38   #22
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

bushings or strut mount bushings/bearing
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 15:43   #23
bigred177
Veteran Member

It's all new, what should I do to check them?
Old January 29th, 2018, 16:43   #24
bigred177
Veteran Member

Put a passenger axle on just because we had it already and we're running out of spinning parts to put on. We'll find out tomorrow.
Old January 30th, 2018, 09:08   #25
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

i dont know what exactly to tell you from here. i doubt its transmission, although if the fluid level is low, well you ll eat 'er up, if its that bad, and if its trans, it d be pretty well gone by now. i forget exactly how to check that trans level. on a level ground, perhaps, pop off fill up screw, and see if fluid dribbles/drains out. not 100% sure of fluid level. as for mk2s youd fill from fill up, as fluid tops off and some dribbles out, you not put cap/screw on, and add a 1/2 (oz?iirc) in top speedo port.
possible, yet remote, it could be clutch related. just running down diagnosis line. either or both axles, or cv joint tightness. wheel bearings, or hubs, could be the wheel bearing hub assembly. ball joints not as likely, tie rod ends not as likely. if either its most likely not mounted correctly, could be defective parts. if either most likely not tightened enough/correctly. it could be bad a-arm(s), mainly shot bushings in a-arm.
gl in tracing down. other than that when that shop dismounted tires, its possible something happened with those wheel rings you use. or some type of balancing problem. that has been previously discussed. or something went wrong/is incorrect in the alignment you got. <scratch head.
Old January 31st, 2018, 18:15   #26
bigred177
Veteran Member

Well after about 200 miles it seems to be holding together. First trip I've made since September where my fillings are still in my head at the end of it. There wasn't any obvious damage to the old axle/cv, it actually looked like it was in really good shape. The condition combined with the fact that the worst problems occurred straight ahead and not in a turn seems like a really strange failure. I'll just be glad to have it fixed.
Old February 1st, 2018, 14:42   #27
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Did you replace the CV's along with the new axle? I'd be curious to know since that's three different parts that could be at fault.

Would also like to know if the axle that was one there originally (prior to your replacement) was a hollow axle or a solid one? Some aftermarket replacements are solid and those are known to cause problems with vibrations.

If the axle shaft itself is in good shape, not bent at all, and it's original I encourage people to replace the CV joints and boots alone and use the good axle.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 10:46   #28
bigred177
Veteran Member

I replaced the whole assembly: axle and both CVs. I'm thinking it was something to do with the inner CV because the noise was mostly there. I don't know if it's hollow or solid but the new axle is quite a bit thinner than the one it replaces. The old one wasn't original. Interpart I believe. I'll have to look at it. I'm not near it right now. I was thinking about rebuilding the CV and having it as a spare. Everything looks like it's in great shape.

What's weird is that everything was fine for the last 60k miles and then all of a sudden it wasn't, but no obvious failure.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:38   #29
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

passenger axle is best large 'tube' type of (longer side) axle. thinner may be a different aftermarket, or somewhat cheaper (again aftermarket). you want this side axle to be hollow (kind of like tubular)axle. the factory or oem will most likely still have a dampener about the middle of axle. i have had a few or more (from my NAPA store) that are with-out this dampener 'ring' or doughnut. they tend to run fine, although are quite a bit less expensive from VW factory or similar type,quality axles. a thin(not unlike the drivers-side axle thickness,diameter,or solid) may give problems. got a pic of both axles? would help us to understand what you have in/under there a 'little' better.
if you can get pics, also would help, some, a pic of axle you took out.

Last edited by iluvmydiesels; February 2nd, 2018 at 12:59.