www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 8th, 2018, 13:55   #16
bluecrab

I had my fix completed a few weeks ago. I had CEL of with EGR fault codes/bad DPF. I was up front about the code and I had paperwork that it had been diagnosed in Oct 2015 at 90k. I had requested VW sympathetic warranty then but their hands were tied due to the legal action.

I was told by the Svc Manager that due to a large number of vehs having their fault codes reset prior to drop off, they now have to pull a detailed log of the ECU so VW can see if anyone has done a reset prior to drop-off like the prior posted got away with.

I tried to be nice and reminded the dealer my family had bought several cars there. End result was dealer going to bat for me and a sympathetic warranty for the DPF.

I was prepared to fight and point out that the excessive emissions would likely stress a part like the DPF which has to undergo regens to clean it. There is a good argument for this. If you have the one-piece DPF/cat your approach abut it needing to be replaced anyway could work.

The best advice is to start as the nice customer to the shop and argue as the suffering customer to VW. If you win, you still want the shop to like you before they do the work.

Last edited by bluecrab; January 8th, 2018 at 15:06.
bluecrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 20:03   #17
2010vwjetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
All I did was delete my code from the ecu and took it to vw and they did the fix no problemo , money came a week later . Than when the code came back I got vw to fix it under warranty .
This idea did come to mind, glad I'm not the only one lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
I had my fix completed a few weeks ago. I had CEL of with EGR fault codes/bad DPF. I was up front about the code and I had paperwork that it had been diagnosed in Oct 2015 at 90k. I had requested VW sympathetic warranty then but their hands were tied due to the legal action.

I was told by the Svc Manager that due to a large number of vehs having their fault codes reset prior to drop off, they now have to pull a detailed log of the ECU so VW can see if anyone has done a reset prior to drop-off like the prior posted got away with.

I tried to be nice and reminded the dealer my family had bought several cars there. End result was dealer going to bat for me and a sympathetic warranty for the DPF.

I was prepared to fight and point out that the excessive emissions would likely stress a part like the DPF which has to undergo regens to clean it. There is a good argument for this. If you have the one-piece DPF/cat your approach abut it needing to be replaced anyway could work.

The best advice is to start as the nice customer to the shop and argue as the suffering customer to VW. If you win, you still want the shop to like you before they do the work.
So basically they just used the warranty retroactively? I would hope the service department at my dealer would do the same, but trying to decide if I should play dumb, reset the code, or tell the guy at the counter everything.
2010vwjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 20:35   #18
pebjr
Veteran Member

I did the same thing, My car had the CEL on for over a year (particulate filter bad). I drove the car to the dealership, one block from the dealership I cleared the code. The service advisor went out to the car checked the mileage started the car (no CEL) and they did the emission fix without any problems or cost to me..
pebjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 17:00   #19
2010vwjetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
All I did was delete my code from the ecu and took it to vw and they did the fix no problemo , money came a week later . Than when the code came back I got vw to fix it under warranty .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebjr View Post
I did the same thing, My car had the CEL on for over a year (particulate filter bad). I drove the car to the dealership, one block from the dealership I cleared the code. The service advisor went out to the car checked the mileage started the car (no CEL) and they did the emission fix without any problems or cost to me..
How long ago did you guys get yours cars fixed? Wondering if them checking the history is an isolated procedure or across the board at every dealer.
2010vwjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 18:26   #20
pebjr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010vwjetta View Post
How long ago did you guys get yours cars fixed? Wondering if them checking the history is an isolated procedure or across the board at every dealer.
I had my emission fixed back in early October 2017.
No problem since.
pebjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:19   #21
bluecrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010vwjetta View Post
It would probably be good if someone working at a dealer could weigh in. I was told by a Svc Manager that they could no longer proceed with the warranty work until they sent an ECU log to VW to be checked. I am sure someone at VW reads boards like this and a change in policy due to people bragging about resetting on the way to the dealer is consistent with what happened on buy backs that were being stripped with photos appearing on forums.
bluecrab is offline   Reply With Quote