Passat Replacement based cabin size?

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Passat Replacement based on cabin size?

I realize this is not Deiselgate thread but I am trying to get an idea of what some of you have considered replacing your Passat with?
Simply base it on interior space. Space while sitting in drivers space, that open feeling. Also, the large back seat.
Thanks in advance for opinions.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
There are minimal choices in four door sedans without spending significantly more money. While I haven't personally compared any, I would suggest the Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala for domestics, and both Audi, BMW and Mercedes for their larger sedans. Like I said, pricier.

Since I'm going to move back into something that sits higher, I'm looking at the Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-5. The Sube is pretty roomy, but the CX-5 is certainly smaller. Now if VW has full specs and pricing available for the Mexican built Tiguan and/or the US built CrossBlue, they also would be on my radar. They both are supposed to be more roomy. The Tig will support 3 rows, so that alone means it's much larger than the current version. The CrossBlue is also supposed to have 3 rows available, and be bigger than the new Tiguan. So either might fill your space desires.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
There are minimal choices in four door sedans without spending significantly more money. While I haven't personally compared any, I would suggest the Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala for domestics, and both Audi, BMW and Mercedes for their larger sedans. Like I said, pricier.

Since I'm going to move back into something that sits higher, I'm looking at the Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-5. The Sube is pretty roomy, but the CX-5 is certainly smaller. Now if VW has full specs and pricing available for the Mexican built Tiguan and/or the US built CrossBlue, they also would be on my radar. They both are supposed to be more roomy. The Tig will support 3 rows, so that alone means it's much larger than the current version. The CrossBlue is also supposed to have 3 rows available, and be bigger than the new Tiguan. So either might fill your space desires.

Thanks! I have actually driven 2016 Impala, Camry, Ford Edge, and 2013 Q5 (Used to get in my price range.)

Camry - Even though specs say it is just slightly smaller on the interior it seems quite a bit smaller.

Impala - It is a lot bigger on outside but doesn't seem much bigger on inside.

Edge - Pretty roomy but more cockpit styled than need be makes it seem smaller than Passat in front seat.

Q5 - Smallest back seat of all of them.

On the list to drive:

CX-5
Chevrolet Malibu
Subaru Legacy
Hyundai Genesis
(2015 used - stretches my budget but the fact that it gets an update to Apple Car play/Android Auto tempts me)

The new Tiguan looks like it may be perfect but with the problems I have had with my Passat (Rattling sunroof since purchase and AC compressor went out this weekend.) I also need new tires now....I don't think I can wait.

Plus, The Tiguan will most likely be out of my price range unless huge discounts for TDI buyback customers.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
cabin size with the same MPG?

Honda accord hybrid
Ford energy plug in
camery plug in

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, one reason they are moving Tiguan assembly to Mexico is to significantly lower the price, so don't go by what the current model has for price and equipment.

My dealer loaned me a brand new Legacy last month while they were servicing my Jetta. It seems as big or bigger than the Passat inside, and drove quite nicely. I love their Eyesight technology. The Adaptive Cruise Control sold me on that for my next car. If I was going to stick with a sedan, that would be my first choice.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
wife drives from 97049 to 97206 every day, we would love a Subaru as everyone else up here on the mountain has one for the deep snow. but 100 miles a day the poor MPG's rule them out :( as we would be paying more in fuel than our house payment

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
cabin size with the same MPG?

Honda accord hybrid
Ford energy plug in
camery plug in
Not really expecting same mpg just looking at cabin size.

Well, one reason they are moving Tiguan assembly to Mexico is to significantly lower the price, so don't go by what the current model has for price and equipment.

My dealer loaned me a brand new Legacy last month while they were servicing my Jetta. It seems as big or bigger than the Passat inside, and drove quite nicely. I love their Eyesight technology. The Adaptive Cruise Control sold me on that for my next car. If I was going to stick with a sedan, that would be my first choice.
I assume they loaned you a 4 cylinder Legacy? Did it seem sluggish? 0-60 is a little over a 10 seconds. I am going to go try to drive one soon.

SIAI

TDI
Jetta,2015,Silk Blue
Don't laugh right away but for size and fuel economy you might consider the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. Fairly large (midsized) four door, nothing spectacular except a 47 mpg
EPA combined fuel economy. Voltec drivetrain, larger engine than Volt, smaller battery, not a plug in. I don't think there is much out there in that sized vehicle with those kinds of mpg numbers. Closing in on a Prius in a conventional looking and driving car.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The Legacy is spacious, but feels smaller due to its shorter wheelbase, love the awd, but the CVT is something to get used to. Had 2 Pri's before my TDI, and I wasn't a fan of it, especially in hilly drives. The Fusion drives nice and solid but the back seat feels a bit closed in. Mazda 6 feels closed both front and rear but it's a great looker. Impala - just looking at it I agree it looks big on outside, while not appearing any larger inside than the Passat. Chevy Malibu? More closed-in interior and small 13 gallon fuel tank - really? The 2015+ Sonata is the only vehicle that provides the same sense of space the Passat provides, with the hybrid providing the same mileage as the TDI. It's on my list. I'd love an SUV, but fuel prices will roller coaster up and down and you never know how long they'll stay low, and will rise when you least expect it. People will regret buying their SUV's and trucks when gas hit's $3 or $4 gallon again.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really expecting same mpg just looking at cabin size.
I assume they loaned you a 4 cylinder Legacy? Did it seem sluggish? 0-60 is a little over a 10 seconds. I am going to go try to drive one soon.
I'm not certain if it was the 4 or the 6. I think it was the 4, and never felt like I needed more. It's definitely longer, as it barely fit in the same garage space that the Passat is in with about a foot at either end. Not a small garage, just too much junk! :p

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
wife drives from 97049 to 97206 every day, we would love a Subaru as everyone else up here on the mountain has one for the deep snow. but 100 miles a day the poor MPG's rule them out :( as we would be paying more in fuel than our house payment
The Mazda CX-5 is rated pretty well on highway. Not diesel mileage, but better than just a few years ago. Looking at fuelly for MY2016 shows an average of about 27 MPG, with some owners exceeding the low 30s. Much better than my 11 Tiguan returned.

Same for the Forester. MY16 has an average of 26, with some reaching the low 30s. If she does that much highway, my guess is she'd be at the upper end.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
One thing to consider w/AWD on a Subaru is amount to tread depth on tires if you have to replace one due to "X" reason. Have heard that just a couple 32nds is allowed in difference between all 4 tires. If more than that, damage to the transfer case will result. So if you have say 20k miles on tires and 1 goes south, you may end up having to buy 4 tires. Subaru was on wife's radar, but not now.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
One thing to consider w/AWD on a Subaru is amount to tread depth on tires if you have to replace one due to "X" reason. Have heard that just a couple 32nds is allowed in difference between all 4 tires. If more than that, damage to the transfer case will result. So if you have say 20k miles on tires and 1 goes south, you may end up having to buy 4 tires. Subaru was on wife's radar, but not now.
Replacing all tires is not unique to the Subaru. ALL vehicles that are AWD recommend replacing ALL tires if one has to be replaced and there are enough miles on the existing set to make a difference in tread wear compared to a new tire. As you say, needing to replace all four on an AWD vehicle can add up fast!

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Replacing all tires is not unique to the Subaru. ALL vehicles that are AWD recommend replacing ALL tires if one has to be replaced and there are enough miles on the existing set to make a difference in tread wear compared to a new tire. As you say, needing to replace all four on an AWD vehicle can add up fast!
That's why the safe thing to go is to typically use a 5 tire rotation....most have a full-size spare on a alloy rim. If one goes bad....then you are on a 4 tore rotation. Saved me a few $$ in avoiding having to pay $$ to have a new tire put on a tire lathe...yes for about $30 you can have a new tire cutdown to match the depth of used tires...some local shops do it, and TIRERACK.COM does it...not a perfect match profile size, but acceptable.

TO OP
if you like the Passat....how about another?

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
I realize this is not Deiselgate thread but I am trying to get an idea of what some of you have considered replacing your Passat with?
Simply base it on interior space. Space while sitting in drivers space, that open feeling. Also, the large back seat.
Thanks in advance for opinions.
A gas Passat?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The new Volvo S90 looks nice, and also spacious and reasonably fuel efficient. More expensive than a Passat, but with all those buyback dollars that shouldn't be a problem

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Now there is a nice car with a touch of class w/o a bmw's sticker shock.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^

The spacious interior of the Passat will be a very big factor in our search for a new ride, and this looks like a very likely candidate, if I can get past the sticker shock. Well, I've got two-point-something years, maybe by then they'll have CPOs. But by then, the V90 should be available, and it may very likely trump the S90 for us.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
That's why the safe thing to go is to typically use a 5 tire rotation....most have a full-size spare on a alloy rim. If one goes bad....then you are on a 4 tore rotation. Saved me a few $$ in avoiding having to pay $$ to have a new tire put on a tire lathe...yes for about $30 you can have a new tire cutdown to match the depth of used tires...some local shops do it, and TIRERACK.COM does it...not a perfect match profile size, but acceptable.

TO OP
if you like the Passat....how about another?
A gas Passat?

A Gas Passat is not out of the question but I would like to try something else.

I am not a do it yourself maintenance guy and VW maintenance and repairs seem to be more expensive than others cars in my price range.

I have never been extremely happy wind noise plus the non TDI problems I have had makes me want to move to another manufacturer.

Sunroof has rattled since I bought it. 3 different dealers have tried to fix it. AC Compressor failed this weekend. Luckily I had warranty until end of september or that would have cost me $1300.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
The new Volvo S90 looks nice, and also spacious and reasonably fuel efficient. More expensive than a Passat, but with all those buyback dollars that shouldn't be a problem

*Gulp* Apparently you haven't seen my bank account balance. :)

I really am trying not to create any more vehicle debt than I already have. That means about 25k before TT&L. 22k preferably...30k absolute max!

RichmondKYtdi

A gas Passat?
This, i dont plan on getting rid of my car, but if i had to i would still stick with the passat. There just isnt another sedan with the back seat room as this Passat. With two car seats in the back there are no other cars i can fit comfortably in the front seat (you have to move the front seat forward on all cars i tested except the passat).

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
I've looked at the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid. 27 miles all electric is nice. The $4919 Tax Rebate puts it in the TDI SE/SEL price point. Lifetime Battery, 5/60 new car, and 10/100 Powertrain warranties are great.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
This, i dont plan on getting rid of my car, but if i had to i would still stick with the passat. There just isnt another sedan with the back seat room as this Passat. With two car seats in the back there are no other cars i can fit comfortably in the front seat (you have to move the front seat forward on all cars i tested except the passat).
This exactly. Being 6'5" with a rear facing seat behind me just isn't possible in many cars in the Passat price range.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Where/how does the Volvo S60 compare to the Passat?
The Volvo 60 series is a smaller platform. The problem with Volvo is that to get a vehicle of the Passat's size, it's necessary to go up to the 80 (now 90) series, with a much higher price. Get up to the 90 series and a lot of the distance has been closed in price points between the Passat and something like a BMW 5-series or a Mercedes 300 size. Which for me says "CPO car."

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I picked up a 2017 Outback 3.6R. It's very close in passenger seat space to the Passat. Legacy would be similar, although I never drove one. The throttle tip-in for both the 2.5 and 3.6 are aggressive and the CVT is responsive, so around town they both feel very good.

Owners of the 2.5L seem to be getting over 30mph highway, so 3 gallons per day (100miles) is under $45/week. The Outback is the heaviest with 2.5L, so >50% accelerator may seem sluggish. It's naturally aspirated gas, so it needs to rev if you really want the power.

RichmondKYtdi

This exactly. Being 6'5" with a rear facing seat behind me just isn't possible in many cars in the Passat price range.
Yeah i'm 6' and cant imagine going on long drives with most drivers seats pushed forward much... I dread driving her Forrester because the seats are already not comfortable, much less when moving forward 3-4".

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
Same here. 6'5" with 2 car seats in the back, at least no buckets anymore. Either way, my tall 5yo legs stick out so far that even with them dangling they just about touch the rear of the front seat. I can fit sitting behind myself and know that is pretty much the amount of room I need for everyone (including "little" kids) to be comfortable and very few come close to what the Passat offers.

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
The Volvo 60 series is a smaller platform. The problem with Volvo is that to get a vehicle of the Passat's size, it's necessary to go up to the 80 (now 90) series, with a much higher price. Get up to the 90 series and a lot of the distance has been closed in price points between the Passat and something like a BMW 5-series or a Mercedes 300 size. Which for me says "CPO car."

Yup, would love to be able to fit in the V60. I do but with about 2-3 inches of space between the seat back and rear seat front, so it is pointless.

Being tall is not easy when looking for cars. You are very limited in choice unless you have gobs of cash. There is a correlation between being taller and more successful but come on.

Short or under say 6'2" means you can have a loaded up "small" or mid-size car and be content whereas someone who is much taller has to pay just to get into a larger car even though they just want space, not a huge price tag or necessarily all of the extra options they typically come standard with.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Like I saw to my tall in-laws (I'm short): "You fly coach, too." Difference is I fit...usually.