6 speed conversion kit

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I was looking at the charts and now realize that my stock tire size is not 185 cm circumference, it is about 195 CM.
I wish they had a .62 gear :)
The tire size you select can have more difference than a .62 or .59 Sixth gear ratio.

My stock tire size is 195/60 x 14 with a 23.2 inch diameter. I went with 185/70 x 14 tires which had a 24 inch diameter. From there I have gone to 195/60 x 15, also a 24 inch diameter. Now looking at 195/65 x 15 with a near 25 inch diameter. That is a change of 7.75% from the 195/60 x 14 factory tires.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
the stock tire size in the beetle is 205/55r16, and 24.9" diameter. I can't really do much bigger.
I keep putting all the numbers in and I am sure the .65 final gear, or a 3.16 R&P gear set is what I need.

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi, 1998 New Beetle TDi, 1.8T powered 87 Westy Vanagon
I need to remove my transmission for a clutch. Trying to get it done this weekend. Is there anyway if I ordered the kit tomorrow i'd have it by friday? :D

Are there any shops in the bay area familiar with this install?

Last edited:

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
Delivery time

I need to remove my transmission for a clutch. Trying to get it done this weekend. Is there anyway if I ordered the kit tomorrow i'd have it by friday? :D
Are there any shops in the bay area familiar with this install?
We have kits in stock, consignments are sent in 2 weeks after ordering, shipping time to USA, Canada takes about 5-8 days...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If I was in possession of an 02J or another 02A in a car I planned to keep, I would get another of these kits over an 02M or 02Q - cheaper, easier to install. Mine has 100k km with no issues.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
my GTI already does 140+ with the stock CTN..wondering how much trouble this kit will get me in :D I really really really don't need it my insurance is through the roof..GTI might have to become a track car and get myself into a vanagon with an N/A IDI :eek:

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone know if a shop in the California east bay area that does these installs?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Anyone know if a shop in the California east bay area that does these installs?
Good news

Matt-98AHU did the first install in the U.S. for me. And Matt has moved to the Bay Area. He did mine without removing the transmission!

The BAD news is Matt is still snowed under from his move and the new job. So not doing any side work right now.

See this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297973

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I think there are maybe a dozen or so of these installed in North America - I'm happy with my kit.

The install is not all that difficult- any tranny shop could do it.

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
I still need to buy a kit, install my injectors, and get my car malone tuned. THEN if it has tons of power in 5th, I'll prolly do the conversion. I ll try to keep you in mind franken car.

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
My 96 Passat TDI wagon is stock except a stage 2 chip. Love my 6th gear.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
I was looking at the pay back time for this and this is what I came up with.

$1000 cost of 6th gear /$4 / gallon of gas = 250 gallons @ 50mpg – 12,500 miles you could drive on $1000 of diesel at highway speed

12,500 miles / 5 miles per gallon increase with mod assuming a generous 10% increase in fuel mileage = 2,5000 gallons to recoup cost * 55mpg = 137,500 miles of 6th gear driving.

Is my math wrong? If this is the case, and you're just looking at the MPG, then adding a 6th gear is probably a bad economic addition for most.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I find the math is much easier if you use the metric measurements: Litres per 100km

Assume diesel is $1.00/L ($3.79/USgal - which yes, is low, but makes the illustration easier).

And just to use round numbers, we'll assume 5sp. gets me 5.5L/100km, while 6sp. gets me 5.0L/100km (again - close to my numbers).

So, every 100km saves me 0.5L = $.50.

To save $1000, then, it's pretty simple math: $1000/$0.50per100km = 2000 *(100km) = 200,000km = 124,000mi

And as the price goes up, your "payback" time comes down; around Vancouver right now, diesel is around $1.50/L - at that price, the km to save $1000 goes from the 200K in the example above, down to 133K km.

So, yes, your math is correct (you used different base numbers), and yes - it takes a while.

Thing is, though, it's a much nicer driving experience going 75-80mph at 2100 rpm vs 2700rpm; it's not $$$, but it is worth something to me.

Last edited:

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
It also depends on how much driving you do annually. If you only drive 15,000km it will obviously take a longer time to recoup the cos compared to someone who drives 50-60,000km annually

Fahrspaß TDI

TDI
2009 2.0 CBEA Jetta
6th Gear Kit

Hey, I have a 2009 Jetta TDI. I was wondering if there are any steeper 6th gear kits? I know this was possible with the MK4 But would this be possible with my transmission. (6-Speed) :confused:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hey, I have a 2009 Jetta TDI. I was wondering if there are any steeper 6th gear kits? I know this was possible with the MK4 But would this be possible with my transmission. (6-Speed) :confused:
The '09 and '10 model had slightly taller gearing if I'm not mistaken... You're only upgrade would be from a '11+ car.

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
You can do all the math you want. It saves mileage and the biggest gain is when you drop it in to 6th and everything goes mmmmmmmm quieter. I love my 6th gear. :)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
You can do all the math you want. It saves mileage and the biggest gain is when you drop it in to 6th and everything goes mmmmmmmm quieter. I love my 6th gear. :)

Yes, the noise reduction is great and you get it right away! The math tells me the long 5th gear conversion (.622) gets me about the same highway fuel savings and the noise reduction for less money. I ran that combination for about 15 months, so I know from experience.

BUT with the 6 speed conversion, all your gear ratios just work great together. There is no "gap" or unnatural jump from one gear to the next. No running in 4th gear at 45/50 because the .622 5th is too long. I can climb from floor of California's Central Valley over the Tejon Pass at 70/75 mph with the a/c running in 6th. That is from 400 ft to 4160 ft. In heavy traffic you drop to 5th gear at 55/60 mph.

If are looking for a cheap car to operate, you can do better than a VW diesel. Look at a Mazda3 or a Honda Fit for lifetime costs. No terrible dealer service reputations there. No expensive DSG transmission service - just lower costs and much better resale value.

The 6 speed conversion is just the best modification I have done to this old B4V. Don't spend your money on the long 5th gear mod. Go directly to the 6 speed conversion and enjoy.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Don't spend your money on the long 5th gear mod. Go directly to the 6 speed conversion and enjoy.
I agree. I'm running a .622 5th and shifting into it is quite unnatural. It's also terrible not having the gear the belongs in the middle. I will be installing a 6-speed as soon as I get the fresh long-block together. :D

mrbrefast

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V, the MFALCON - SOLD
This is half the reason I am going to try and do this kit by the end of this year.

The other half being a combo of the efficiency gain possible with a daily commute, and having friends from Ohio to Maine to North Carolina, so impromptu long distance highway trips at even lower costs for the B4V would be tempting indeed.... :D

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
So for $1470 I'll get a complete 6 speed conversion shipped to my door in the US? Any other parts needed?
Fluid.

And a clutch if you decide to install with the transmission out of the car (plus a rear main seal?)

If you are installing the kit in the car, all you need is 2L of fluid to replace the fluid lost when the end cover is removed.