www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 17th, 2018, 12:34   #256
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

I feel for ya, dubStorm. That commuter behavior would drive me crazy. I live in a tourist area and don't keep 9-5 commuting hours, thankfully, so that stuff is in my rearview mirror, so to speak. Around here, the roads are nice and open during short periods between the snowbirds being here in the winter and the Spring Breakers, then summer tourists from Memorial Day to Labor Day. During those times, it's bumper to bumper and you're lucky to even get within spitting distance of the speed limit.

That certainly makes being "fuel friendly" more difficult. I'm curious though as to which works better when approaching red stoplights: Coasting out of gear to a stop, or using engine braking. Coasting is possible when traffic is light around here, but I find using engine braking a little more useful in moderate traffic. It sure does tick off tailgaters though, "slowing down without using brakes, what is that sorcery!"

At least that's the look they seem to give as they go to pass, ha ha.

Having said all this, and cognizant of the fact that this is a fuel economy tips thread, I gotta say… I do tend to like to get where I'm going as fast as reasonably possible, so sometimes I'm "that guy" passing the slowpokes. But as long as they are in the right lane and leaving me space to go around, I'm cool. The left lane lolligaggers are the ones who really tick me off. (Along with tailgaters, the inattentive texters and the motorcyclists who ride like they're trying to kill themselves.)

The nice thing about these TDIs, is you CAN drive like a regular person and still get great mileage, and eeking out a few extra MPGs on top of that is not too difficult, either.
Old May 17th, 2018, 13:24   #257
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

The nice thing about these TDIs, is you CAN drive like a regular person and still get great mileage, and eeking out a few extra MPGs on top of that is not too difficult, either.
Yep. We get the torque and FE too! Secretly, us stealthy turbo diesel owners get 20%-30% more miles per gallon, at 10% higher fuel prices. And low end usable torque. In practice, we get measurably better performance in usable driving conditions, while getting farther on the same amount of fuel.

On the question of "coasting"...I keep it IN GEAR when slowing down to a stop. I don't have a clutch, but when I did, I did NOT put it in neutral. If it is in gear, the fuel delivery is shut off when "coasting in gear" to a stop (zero mpg during engine breaking). That can't happen if your car is idling (coasting in neutral), so you use more fuel.

Considering how sophisticated these things are now, TDIs must do that. How could VW engineers fake emissions but NOT take advantage of PZEV?! That PZEV sign on Subarus means fuel shut off when engine breaking (even if you add friction braking). That's "Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle".
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; June 14th, 2018 at 15:17.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote