Camshaft

Muleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon
Had my car service by Greengeeker(did good work) and when replacing valve cover gasket he said cam looks pretty worn especially on #1 lob. Any thoughts on replacement? One site mentions possibly using BEW kit with aftermarket cam for several hundred dollars less. Anyone try that one? Yes, I have always used 505.01 oil from VW changed between 5,000 and 7,500 miles each time. At 227K I'm not shocked that cam might be worn. Regards PJ

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The BEW has a slight, as in barely perceptible, difference in the ramp angle for the injector. It's hard to see unless right alongside the BHW cam. Those that have used the BEW cam, and it will work in the 2.0 BHW, report that the power is also cut to about that of the 1.9 BEW.
So, pay more for the BHW cam, or pay less for the BEW cam and get chipped for the difference to regain the power, or get the BEW and live with less power.

There are reports of some aftermarket cams, reground ones I believe, having issues. More of them in the A4 threads than in the B5 threads.

(I bought BHW)

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I am trying one of Franko6's Titan II BEW cams in my car. Has slightly modified profile. So far I can't really tell a difference compared to previous B5 TDI's I have owned. This particular car came with a worn out cam and followers.