new 2.0 CDI in a toyota 4x4

LarryR

TDI
75 914
This is just a thought. I was thinking how nice it would be to have something like a mid 80's toyota 4x4 with the new 2.0 diesel in it.

I wonder how much more complicated it would be as opposed to the 1.9 swap. I know there is a company out there making adapters etc for the 1.9 so the battle is half done.

With all the torque and HP of the new 2.0 it would make a great tow/hauling vehicle.

Shoot the new 2.0 has more torque than my 6cyl jeep grand cherokee that I use for towing now.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Man and you'd have to make sure you'd have the wiring harness, the exhaust system figured out because its all no doubt inter-connected. An older modded 1.9 tdi motor might be easier and of course a boat load cheaper. It would be pretty dang expensive, unless you get one of the first totaled Jetta 09 TDIs with a decent motor/drivetrain intact. Good luck.

Dougalicious

TDI
None :(
Yeah it'd be much easier and much cheaper to just throw in one of the older engines and do the mods to get similar (or better, if you wished) power.

LarryR

TDI
75 914
I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone has any good ideas. I agree that right now it would be tough to even source the engine but I suspect that a year from now it will be pretty easy and since they will be putting it in almost everything a year from now ... A4 all vw's, and more...

I initially was thinking 3.9 isuzu engine but its almost like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer. I only tow my race car that is only 2000 pounds so car and trailer maybe 3000 pounds.

My jeep does the job with only :

Horsepower (net) 180@4750
Torque (net) 220@4000

However, when I am towing I might get the whopping 14 mpg so it is becoming extremely cost prohibitive.

With the isuzu 3.9 I would have almost double my current torque. They use them in those GM box trucks. I know of one guy who put one in a grand cherokee and got like 35 mpg ... but I would really rather build something that just had enough to do the job efficiently like the new 2.0. I wonder if going with the 1.9 if it would be as efficient if I got the gains from just boosting it. It seems to me that the new 2.0 has the gains from better injection system that utilizes the low sulfer diesel?(pure guess)

Lets consider this the brain storming thread. BTW the reason I am considering the toyota 4x4 vs my jeep is due to weight savings. A mid 80's toyota truck is about 1000 pounds less than my jeep.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
LarryR said:
I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone has any good ideas. I agree that right now it would be tough to even source the engine but I suspect that a year from now it will be pretty easy and since they will be putting it in almost everything a year from now ... A4 all vw's, and more...

I initially was thinking 3.9 isuzu engine but its almost like hitting a nail with a sledge hammer. I only tow my race car that is only 2000 pounds so car and trailer maybe 3000 pounds.

My jeep does the job with only :

Horsepower (net) 180@4750
Torque (net) 220@4000

However, when I am towing I might get the whopping 14 mpg so it is becoming extremely cost prohibitive.

With the isuzu 3.9 I would have almost double my current torque. They use them in those GM box trucks. I know of one guy who put one in a grand cherokee and got like 35 mpg ... but I would really rather build something that just had enough to do the job efficiently like the new 2.0. I wonder if going with the 1.9 if it would be as efficient if I got the gains from just boosting it. It seems to me that the new 2.0 has the gains from better injection system that utilizes the low sulfer diesel?(pure guess)

Lets consider this the brain storming thread. BTW the reason I am considering the toyota 4x4 vs my jeep is due to weight savings. A mid 80's toyota truck is about 1000 pounds less than my jeep.
i suspect that the 2.0 16V common rail engines will be much more difficult to install electronics wise, and the price of late model diesel salvage will keep wrecked cars very expensive on the salvage market for the next couple of years. I'd loose the idea and go with an earlier model 1.9, or the Isuzu engine. Another option is a sprinter engine which is very tunable and much more available than the Isuzu or the vw 2.0.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
I would be a great combo for sure. It'll be complicated but like you said people will have them running in something within a year I bet.

FYI, I get 25-27mpg ish towing a loaded dolly @ around 70mph I bet the new 2.0 would do better. I've only towed with it once so I don't have long term data. This is an older 1.9 TDI in a '86 4runner.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
While I think it may do a good job, there are quite a few advantages to the 1.9L motor:

1) Adapter kits exist
2) You won't have to deal with a highly integrated immobilizer system
3) Folks on this forum have achieved the power you're looking for
4) There's plenty of room for power mods. My early 90's Yota with a 1.9L has lots of room for a VNT 20, etc etc.
5) Exhaust is relatively easy
6) Excellent, proven ECU mods exist (Rocketchip, Alligator...)

I'm sure there are more, but these have been a big help so far.

Good luck! :)

LarryR

TDI
75 914
Spulen81 said:
I would be a great combo for sure. It'll be complicated but like you said people will have them running in something within a year I bet.

FYI, I get 25-27mpg ish towing a loaded dolly @ around 70mph I bet the new 2.0 would do better. I've only towed with it once so I don't have long term data. This is an older 1.9 TDI in a '86 4runner.
I am curious as to what sort of load you have towed with your 1.9. I have been reading on the performance forum and it seems like it would not cost to much to make the 1.9 make the power I am looking for.

Also, I am curious how much displacement can be achieved with the 1.9. 2.0 seems obvious but can it go 2.2 or 2.4 without compromising the cylinder wall integrity? Is there a crank available to gain displacement with stroke?

I am just thinking that in Northern california there are lots of hills and It might not be the best thing to be running at 3 bars of boost for extended periods of time.

coming from a regular gas perspective 1 bar is a 930 turbo so 3 bars???

I would not want to build something that I would have to worry about blowing head gaskets etc...

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
LarryR said:
I am curious as to what sort of load you have towed with your 1.9. I have been reading on the performance forum and it seems like it would not cost to much to make the 1.9 make the power I am looking for.

Also, I am curious how much displacement can be achieved with the 1.9. 2.0 seems obvious but can it go 2.2 or 2.4 without compromising the cylinder wall integrity? Is there a crank available to gain displacement with stroke?
If you have unlimited funds you can probably build a larger TDI, but your looking at custom pistons custom crankshaft etc. 2.0 is likley the largest displacement you can get from the 1.9 if you factor in cost and longevity.

There are companies that offer crankshafts for gasoline engines and pistons for gas vw 4 cylinder engines that can take displacement to 2.3 liters but I highly doubt they are appropraite for diesel service.

Cost is pretty outrageous as well, 1500 bucks for a crankshaft and the pistons would have to be custom machined another 1500-2000 bucks, and rods at an easy grand.

If you want more cubes than the 1.9, then the 2.7 sprinter engine is the next step up. It can be tuned to 200hp 400tq with just a chip and there are several 300hp 550tq sprinter engines running around Europe.

LarryR

TDI
75 914
Scott_DeWitt said:
If you have unlimited funds you can probably build a larger TDI, but your looking at custom pistons custom crankshaft etc. 2.0 is likley the largest displacement you can get from the 1.9 if you factor in cost and longevity.

There are companies that offer crankshafts for gasoline engines and pistons for gas vw 4 cylinder engines that can take displacement to 2.3 liters but I highly doubt they are appropraite for diesel service.

Cost is pretty outrageous as well, 1500 bucks for a crankshaft and the pistons would have to be custom machined another 1500-2000 bucks, and rods at an easy grand.

If you want more cubes than the 1.9, then the 2.7 sprinter engine is the next step up. It can be tuned to 200hp 400tq with just a chip and there are several 300hp 550tq sprinter engines running around Europe.
Does the sprinter engine have the same bell housing pattern and similar flywheel to the vw engine? If so it would probably work just fine stock.

the specs:

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof Extended Cargo Van Performance & Efficiency Standard Features -
Auxiliary transmission cooler

-
Turbo compressor

-
2,987 cc 3.0 liters V 6 front engine with 83.0 mm bore, 92.0 mm stroke, 18.0 compression ratio and four valves per cylinder EXM

-
Diesel fuel

-
Diesel common rail fuel system

-
26.0 gallon main diesel fuel tank 21.6

-
Power: 115 kW , 154 HP SAE @ 3,400 rpm; 280 ft lb , 380 Nm @ 1,200 rpm

Rare but some were in the US too.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
When 2.0s are finally in the junkyard, you will want everything from the engine room, rad, wiring, ECU, lift pump, fuel filters, immo/instrument pod, etc. Will probably be pretty big bux, but should be a FANTASTIC engine. Won't be much for tuning stuff on this side of the pond for a while. Bolt pattern SHOULD be the same.

Have to agree with others: start with a 1Z/AHU and mod is cheap (relatively speaking), and lots of jam.

If you really want the simplest, get a Toyota 5 banger or 6 from underground mine trucks. They are sold today, and work underground, so are pretty clean. They are also up around 3.0 litres, I think, so are not short on stones. Search Toyota Industrial or some such (Ens Industrial is the Canadian Importer - but I wouldn't tell them it is going in a road vehicle if you buy something new from them).

There are some really neat and balsy VW TDIs (2.5 5 and 6), but take Audi bolt pattern, not VW, so don't work with the Acme adapter. M-B Sprinter is very different bolt pattern and flywheel...too bad cause it is a nice engine and should be a few available.