Anyone ever do a Honda Odyssey Minivan?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Is a Honda Odyssey exactly a "mini van?" My brother owns one and it seems to be a rather large vehicle.

I suggest that you take yours to a scales and see how much it weighs. Or, maybe look in the owner's manual and/or Google search to learn it's weight. My Vanagon weighed in at 3640 lbs with me in it. As you add weight and bodies, the performance of the engine will begin to nose dive!

Also, check the gearing of the transmission. I doubt you'll be doing a manual shift. So, the auto tranny gearing needs to work well with the TDI engine.

Keep us posted!

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
I would do a eurovan before I would ever think of doing a non VAG minivan. Eurovan is almost a bolt in plug and play conversion. And would be worth far more than any other van converted

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
This is so weird. My other car is Honda Odyssey because I have four kids. Keeping the TDI running in the Golf is a project in itself. I could not imagine swapping the TDI it into the perfectly reliable Honda van. I am very happy having both working vehicles.

The fourth generation Odyssey is way too new to be a good candidate for a conversion, but here are some real world numbers from my experience:

My 2014 Odyssey with the 3.5L gasoline engine and 6 speed auto weighs approximately 5000lbs (with driver and fluids) and averages 10 to 11 L/100km (21 to 24 MPG)

My 2001 Golf TDI with 5 speed manual weighs 3400 lbs with driver and fluids and will tow 1600lbs (5000lbs total) while averaging anywhere from 6 to 7 L/100km (33 to 39 MPG) while feeling a little "weighed down" at first but you get used to it very quickly. Steep hills can get a bit sketchy, but then your turbo will never get sooty.

I am pretty sure the previous generation Odysseys weigh much less.

Have you checked out the Odyclub forums: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/index.php

I started a "modification thread" there for our van: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/53-in...eed-shop-day-care-s-shop-van.html#post1190434

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
2014 Odyssey weighs in at 4,396 to 4,613 lbs curb weight. High side is just shy of what a 1999 Mercedes S500L weighs in at.

Never figured the Odyssey weighed that much. It would be a lot of custom on it to make the conversion work.

Steve

meby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Ford Winstar ALH TDI 5 spd
As said, anything is possible. My Windstar weighs 4000 lbs modified and I average upper 30's mpg with a fe tune and a manual transmission.