How do I sell my Malone Tune to another member?

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
Hi Everyone,

Like you im contemplating the buy back offer for my A3 tdi. My car is chipped with a Malone 1.5 and DSG tune.

Is it as easy as swapping ECU's and doing some kind of reconfiguration? Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the ECM is encrypted with your VIN.. and in case they check something at time of buy back.. that may not fly.

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
I'm stuck with a tune and Flashzilla after the buyback. I think that's just the way it goes.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
You must have your ECU reflashed at some expense and the hassle of sending it out to be done

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
JMHO but I read on another thread that you will meet with a VW or AUDI person at the dealership who does not work for the dealership who will merely verify you're the owner of the car just like when you got the $500 gift card and cut you a check and you handover the keys I believe it will be that simple. After you have sent in your title and registration and filled out the online form all you will have to do is show them your that person and they will cut you a check of the agreed upon amount. I don't believe that you will meet a team of diagnostic techs that will comb over your vehicle I don't believe they have the time or the resources I doubt that they're going to tie up the dealership to go over your car it will already be a done deal. I also have the stage 2 Malone tune and am looking to sell it to benefit another AUDI owner it was awesome I will miss this car

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
No clue, but one has to wonder given this was a software issue to begin with, if any of the current tunes will be useful going forward. Anything ECU related stands a good chance of being worthless except to the few holdout cars that aren't updated. The hardware might ultimately be useful, but it could take a while for tuners to come to grips with whatever changes they make.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Having the tune won't affect the buyback. You can't sell your tune to somebody else- it goes w the car. If you just swapped ecu's the immobilizer software would immobilize the car.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Having the tune won't affect the buyback. You can't sell your tune to somebody else- it goes w the car. If you just swapped ecu's the immobilizer software would immobilize the car.
Not sure on these cars but back in the day guys did this all the time. Guys swapped ECUs and each person had to pay an hour labor to the dealer to adapt the ECU to the car

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure on these cars but back in the day guys did this all the time. Guys swapped ECUs and each person had to pay an hour labor to the dealer to adapt the ECU to the car
Oh it absolutely can be done- it's just not as simple as popping in the ecu and driving away. You need the software adaptation or immobilizer delete done.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Oh it absolutely can be done- it's just not as simple as popping in the ecu and driving away. You need the software adaptation or immobilizer delete done.
Ok then so the correct answer to the OP is that yes it can be done. But plan on each of you spending an hour labor at the dealer or the select few indy shops that have the software to perform an adaptation.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok then so the correct answer to the OP is that yes it can be done. But plan on each of you spending an hour labor at the dealer or the select few indy shops that have the software to perform an adaptation.
Yup, it probably just isn't worth the hassle.