Effects of terrain on mpg

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
In another thread we were talking about how people living in a hilly area were having a harder time getting good fuel mileage whereas another on here (Petez06) regularly gets mid 40's and up. Well last week the wife and I visited a friend in Waukesha, WI so we drove up through Pete's neck of the woods. As soon as we left KY and hit Indiana it's a pretty flat route the whole way. I had the cruise set on 80mph both directions and even played around with some fast cars on the interstate (hit 130mph a couple times). We track fuel ups with fuelly, and on the way up got 45.33, and filled up when I got off the exit in KY and it netted 46.39. Our typical mpg is 40-42 around the hills of KY, and most of which is 65-75mph.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Welcome to Flatsville ;)

Mid 40's all day long around here... High 40's if its mostly highway driving.
I see that now lol. I kinda wish I had slowed it down a bit to see just how good it was capable of but on long trips like that I just want to make good time lol

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Man, i drive in texas/oklahoma and its pretty flat, best hand calc ive gotten is 41. ive been more adamant about filling to the brink, but even then i get about 37 on long nonstop roadtrips locking the CC in at 75-80mph.

what gives? tolerance issue with speedometer? does the malone all those deletes add 5-6mpg?

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Man, i drive in texas/oklahoma and its pretty flat, best hand calc ive gotten is 41. ive been more adamant about filling to the brink, but even then i get about 37 on long nonstop roadtrips locking the CC in at 75-80mph.

what gives? tolerance issue with speedometer? does the malone all those deletes add 5-6mpg?
Oh yes. Probably even more so for people who drive with a heavy foot. The norm for us before delete and tune was 36-37.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
A couple months back I had posted a question on the snowmobile forum and a member agreed to help me. While I was at his house I noticed he owned a 2013 Jetta TDI. We got to talking TDI's, and I had mentioned the benefits of deleting. Fast forward to June he sent me a text saying he got brave and took his Jetta to be tuned and deleted, bottom line he said he wished he would have know about it the day he bought the car! He's loving the performance and fuel mileage increase, and he's got the manual tranny too

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Wind and speed have a great affect, too. Once driving on a two lane 55-60mph flat Iowa road with a strong tailwind, I got over 50 mph.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Wind and speed have a great affect, too. Once driving on a two lane 55-60mph flat Iowa road with a strong tailwind, I got over 50 mph.
You would be over 50mpg easily if you were deleted. Remember our A3's are the worst of the TDIs as far as MPG

5FDP

TDI
A3
You would be over 50mpg easily if you were deleted. Remember our A3's are the worst of the TDIs as far as MPG
The results are still preliminary taller tires in effect give a taller gear ratio. I had noticed that a buddy of mine with a 6sp manual GOLF TDI was about 500rpm lower in 6th gear. Even bone stock he gets mid 40's driving @80 w/AC on. When drafting no AC he's getting 55-57mpg.

Does anyone make a taller gear ratio or is there another DSG that has a taller final drive?

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
The results are still preliminary taller tires in effect give a taller gear ratio. I had noticed that a buddy of mine with a 6sp manual GOLF TDI was about 500rpm lower in 6th gear. Even bone stock he gets mid 40's driving @80 w/AC on. When drafting no AC he's getting 55-57mpg.

Does anyone make a taller gear ratio or is there another DSG that has a taller final drive?

Well I drove a friend's Passat TDI the other day and set the cruise at 65 and took a picture of the instrument cluster(because I knew I'd forget) and at 65mph the Passat is at 1800rpm. A few weeks went by because of course I forgot and checked out the A3. The A3 is turning around 2050rpm at 65. So I'm guessing the Passat DSGs are geared higher. Could be why our A3s don't get the mileage that the Passats do?