What vehicle will you buy with your refund?

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Buy mine back

...well almost a "refund": I expect 26.5 K from the buyback, which will be my down payment on a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. :D

I thought about going the modification route, but strongly believe that a fix won't be devised and I would have to wait until May 2018 to receive my compensation.:( I would rather take the money and move on.

One other thought: my tax rate on a new vehicle is 7.375%. In New York, one pays sales tax on the difference between a trade-in and purchase. So if Audi considered my buyback a "trade in", the savings on a new car would be $1954. Still very resistant to buying another VW/Audi product though...

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
...well almost a "refund": I expect 26.5 K from the buyback, which will be my down payment on a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. :D

I thought about going the modification route, but strongly believe that a fix won't be devised and I would have to wait until May 2018 to receive my compensation.:( I would rather take the money and move on.

One other thought: my tax rate on a new vehicle is 7.375%. In New York, one pays sales tax on the difference between a trade-in and purchase. So if Audi considered my buyback a "trade in", the savings on a new car would be $1954. Still very resistant to buying another VW/Audi product though...
Gotta find a dealer group that has a VW dealer AND whatever dealer you are looking for - they may be able to handle the trade across company lines.. ;-)

Of course, I'm in California - where we pay tax on the full purchase price regardless of trade, so it doesn't affect me.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Why would you be hesitant to buy another VAG product? IMO they are more than making things right.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
I'll by another VW. Shopping on Friday just to see what's out there and how they perform. No looking to buy, just to either confirm my feelings or make an informed decision.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd say that in general, VW has one of the most boring product lineups of any major car manufacturer at this time. With any hope, they can breathe some excitement into the line with their rapid development process they are moving into - only time will tell, and it certainly won't be in time for my buyback.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Sorry to be off topic---who in your mind has a more exciting product lineup? I'm looking at a VW GT Autobahn edition tomorrow. Seems exciting to me. Of course there's the Golf R as well...but the fuel miser inside me won't allow me to drive that.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I went to test drive a E350 Bluetec today just for fun.. they had a E250 Bluetec but it sold last night, thats what I really wanted to try.

I had a GS350 a few years ago so it felt good being in a larger car again, but you definitely lose the nimble handling. 2nd and 3rd gear felt strong with the 370tq. I'm curious to drive the E250 since it posts similar hp/tq numbers. Before my GS350 I had a GS400, both cars 300hp but one with a V8 and one with a V6. The V8 to me still felt faster in the lower rpms and much smoother overall.

The 328D was on my list, but a month ago my gf purchased a new 328ix and I think it would be silly to have two of the same cars.

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
I'm torn between wanting another diesel and feeling like I should buy another VW group product as a show of support. They deserved to be dinged, for sure, but this is a pretty big wreck. I look to be getting around $50K all in, could go with an E-Tron or TT, but OTOH, there's the XE or 3-series wagon. Not sure at this point.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to be off topic---who in your mind has a more exciting product lineup? I'm looking at a VW GT Autobahn edition tomorrow. Seems exciting to me. Of course there's the Golf R as well...but the fuel miser inside me won't allow me to drive that.
I was referring to the line-up being boring, not specific vehicles. They have virtually no variation in their lineup, just the exact same car in slightly varying scales.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
Since these cars are not illegal to register in NY yet, and mine passes inspection... I may just hold onto mine.

With the options and all, in a couple of years these cars may be rare and very well sought after. (I wont get my hopes up) But with the Kerma DSG tune on it now, I really like it. I'll likely just keep modding to my tastes until I cannot any longer.

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Since these cars are not illegal to register in NY yet, and mine passes inspection... I may just hold onto mine.

With the options and all, in a couple of years these cars may be rare and very well sought after. (I wont get my hopes up) But with the Kerma DSG tune on it now, I really like it. I'll likely just keep modding to my tastes until I cannot any longer.
My attitude is the only thing that really makes sense if you want to keep a TDI is to sell it back, and find another one to buy. AFAICT tell the buy back number is dealer retail from a year previous. Depending on the car, year mileage, that can be quite a large difference. In my case, even without the penalty bucks, I'll be getting back more than I paid of the car originally. Really like the car, but not enough to pass up a deal like that.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
My attitude is the only thing that really makes sense if you want to keep a TDI is to sell it back, and find another one to buy. AFAICT tell the buy back number is dealer retail from a year previous. Depending on the car, year mileage, that can be quite a large difference. In my case, even without the penalty bucks, I'll be getting back more than I paid of the car originally. Really like the car, but not enough to pass up a deal like that.
Exactly.

I see quite a few A3 TDI's like mine currently for sale in the mid teens.. Why wouldn't anyone sell their car back for low 20's and pocket $5-6K?

5FDP

TDI
A3

This!

Makes a BMW 328D cost what I paid for my A3. Heck of a deal. If I spend another 10-15k I can pick up a MB-S350, BMW-535D. If I want best bang for the buck maybe buy a Elio ($6500 new and 84mpg).

Kinda makes it hard to keep the A3. Even though I really like the car. But a RWD/AWD diesel would be nice.

SpuriousTone

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Man, 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Auto, 2013 Golf TDI Auto
It is my understanding that after the dust settles, i.e. buy-back or repair, the US EPA will declare it illegal to have an un-repaired one on the road. Is this not true?
Also, from what I have read, a repair is not guaranteed. They do not have an approved repair yet and it is now close to one year on in this affair. So, in the end, if they cannot make them legal they will be compelled to buy the remaining stock. With the mileage penalty, the buy-back will doubtless be pennies on the dollar. And that is optimistic. VW at that point may charge you for them to take it back, considering the ease at which they screwing us all up to this point with the "settlement".

barrel roll

TDI
2010 A3 Sportback
Exactly.

I see quite a few A3 TDI's like mine currently for sale in the mid teens.. Why wouldn't anyone sell their car back for low 20's and pocket $5-6K?
Because they could get more than 5-6k in the pocket, and not have to go out and purchase another car? Emphasis on the not having to go in the hole for another vehicle.

5FDP

TDI
A3
Test drove a S350 bluetec...wow what a disappointment. When I have time I'll write a full review.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Test drove a S350 bluetec...wow what a disappointment. When I have time I'll write a full review.
From a performance standpoint? Keep in mind that an S class with anything short of a good sized V-8 is going to be a complete dog. That's just a given, as it's a heavy car.

kuklaki

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-line//Non-TDI: 2016 Audi e-tron
Well it seems I did not settle on the Jaguar XE diesel after all. Tomorrow I go to pick up my new A3 E-tron. Since these cars are not moving off dealer lots right now, I was able to get a deal I cannot pass up on it. Between the available rebates, incentives, and discounts (yes, I even got a Takata airbag rebate-take that, member who flamed me for saying there was one!) Plus the dealer threw in an additional savings I think may be out of Audi dealer compensation, I saved $10k off MSRP.
There is also the tax incentive of about $4200 not included in my previous figure, and the buyback money thrown in for good measure that I will put down when I refinance.
So all in all, this will help heal the sting of giving up my beloved A3 and I think I'll be OK with it in the end. Finding the right car I wanted was so overwhelming I was all over the board with possibilities.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Well it seems I did not settle on the Jaguar XE diesel after all. Tomorrow I go to pick up my new A3 E-tron. Since these cars are not moving off dealer lots right now, I was able to get a deal I cannot pass up on it. Between the available rebates, incentives, and discounts (yes, I even got a Takata airbag rebate-take that, member who flamed me for saying there was one!) Plus the dealer threw in an additional savings I think may be out of Audi dealer compensation, I saved $10k off MSRP.
There is also the tax incentive of about $4200 not included in my previous figure, and the buyback money thrown in for good measure that I will put down when I refinance.
So all in all, this will help heal the sting of giving up my beloved A3 and I think I'll be OK with it in the end. Finding the right car I wanted was so overwhelming I was all over the board with possibilities.
I just learned of this option and it has sparked some interest from me. I am very curious to hear your thoughts about the car after you have driven it a while.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
Exactly.

i'm starting to wonder if a nicely-maintained A3 might not be a bad idea after handing over my Golf... sort of a sideways move, but for a nice, modestly modded one with lowish miles, i can't help but be intrigued as i browse the market

kuklaki

TDI
I just learned of this option and it has sparked some interest from me. I am very curious to hear your thoughts about the car after you have driven it a while.
I picked up the A3 on Monday. So far I am pretty happy with it. It will take a bit of learning the best way to drive for maximum efficiency.
Yesterday I got 89 mpg average on a 40 mile commute. Mixed about 10 miles in town in Ev mode and the rest was freeway speeds of 70 mph, mixed hills in hybrid mode.
Today I was poking in the slow lane on the same commute about 60-65 and did not do quite as well, 67 mpg average. Still, it's nothing to complain about.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
question - considering buying a '12 A3 Premium with 65k miles from a Chevy dealer... would i be eligible for just half of the buyback $? pretty sure i'd just wait and maybe do the fix after feedback starts rolling in, but if the wife ends up not liking the car...

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I picked up the A3 on Monday. So far I am pretty happy with it. It will take a bit of learning the best way to drive for maximum efficiency.
Yesterday I got 89 mpg average on a 40 mile commute. Mixed about 10 miles in town in Ev mode and the rest was freeway speeds of 70 mph, mixed hills in hybrid mode.
Today I was poking in the slow lane on the same commute about 60-65 and did not do quite as well, 67 mpg average. Still, it's nothing to complain about.
Nice. I may ping you later since this model peaks my interest. Thanks for the tease :)

bigdog_mike

TDI
Audi A3 TDI 2.0 2012
2012 A3 TDI offer

Was offered $17925.00 for buyback and $6571.73 restitution for for a total amount of $24,496.73 my 2012 A3 TDI premium plus model with 110,000 miles on it. I was expecting more as mine had Navi system and sunroof which was and upgrade. On the different sites they gave me $26,500 and $28,217 for my Audi...seems they low balled me with there offer, anybody else feel they are low balling them too???

kuklaki

TDI
Nice. I may ping you later since this model peaks my interest. Thanks for the tease :)
Feel free. I will answer what I can. If you are like me and love your current A3, the e-tron is a solid choice. If you don't mind haggling, you should be able to get a deal on a 2016 right now that will make you very happy.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Was offered $17925.00 for buyback and $6571.73 restitution for for a total amount of $24,496.73 my 2012 A3 TDI premium plus model with 110,000 miles on it. I was expecting more as mine had Navi system and sunroof which was and upgrade. On the different sites they gave me $26,500 and $28,217 for my Audi...seems they low balled me with there offer, anybody else feel they are low balling them too???
yeah, when i use the calculator online to do mine based on my vin number it doesnt come out the same as when i did mine based on the tables that was originally released. i have the original window spec sheet that says its a premium package, but i dont believe my vin does. mines a 2010 with 144k right now and it says i should be getting 17xxx$ for it.