My A3 TDI Modification Progress

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
nicklockard said:
FTFY.

PhunkFX, have you checked engine running temperatures by scangauge, OBD reader, or manually?

Most common causes of poor FE are:

1. Driving style (+/- 25%)
2. Aero killers (roof racks, etc...)
3. Under-inflated tires or high rolling resistance tires (common in larger, low profile tires).
4. Early-opening thermostat.

In winter #4 often moves up to spot 2 or 3.
If you had read the whole thread you would see he is now in the 41-43 range so it was his 18" wheels that were holding him back. That's with him living in a pretty hilly area so not bad.
Enjoy your 318(lol)
Cool. I listed it up there, higher than t-stat. My list is in order of incidence. Engine running temps is another thing most people give inadequate attention to--they often assume if the gauge reads 'straight up' that it is warm enough. Failure rate on t-stats is ridiculously high though. Maybe 30% run cool. Not surprising. It's one of the few technologies that hasn't changed in 60 years in your car. Nearly everything else has improved by leaps and bounds.

If you want great info, the fuel economy section has a lot of good stuff, too.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Love the old Mopars!

I'm cracking up reading these posts, seems like we have very common interests lol.

Audi A3
Dodge dually heavily modded
Bikes
Guns
Corvettes (don't have one anymore I'm building a '88 M3 for this sweet track Corvette built down the street)
Did someone say guns? :D:D:D

Post up some pics of the M3. I do a bunch of road racing during the summers, we do the Lemons 24hr races, its a riot. We're running a late 90's Firebird thats built to heck but there are tons of Bimmer 3 classes we're always going up against, they end up doing fairly well.

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Did someone say guns? :D:D:D

Post up some pics of the M3. I do a bunch of road racing during the summers, we do the Lemons 24hr races, its a riot. We're running a late 90's Firebird thats built to heck but there are tons of Bimmer 3 classes we're always going up against, they end up doing fairly well.
Yup. Bet you were glad when they finally got around to issuing carry permits!

I would post pics but its not much to look at right now, all torn down for paint.
I've considered doing the Lemons! Looks like a blast and yeah my choice would either be an e30 or a miata. For tight courses a miata or for tracks like NCM here in Bowling Green I'd want more power

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Yeah.. love our liberal state. But finally CCW was allowed beginning of last year. I already took the class a few months earlier and filed the day it was allowed.. had my CCW license in my hands about 6 weeks later.

Then started selling a few of my full size handguns for something smaller that I can carry. Ended up with 3 that I really like.

A Ruger LCP thats great when I'm wearing sweatpants so it doesn't pull down on them.
And then a Glock 26 and 30S when I'm wearing a belt or riding on the bike.

Lemons is fun but be prepared to spend 5x the money that you think you're going to. They're pretty strict with how your car is built in terms of safety.. and then you realize that everyone cheats and no ones car is truly a lemon :) lol

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Gosh we do have a lot in common in this thread! I'm actually a FFL for my agency and I do sell to private citizens occasionally too. Actually had a guy order a UTS-15 shotgun from me a few weeks ago and it arrived today. I had never seen one before, its pretty cool looking.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Gosh we do have a lot in common in this thread! I'm actually a FFL for my agency and I do sell to private citizens occasionally too. Actually had a guy order a UTS-15 shotgun from me a few weeks ago and it arrived today. I had never seen one before, its pretty cool looking.
Had to Google it, its pretty cool! I like the capacity but was hoping to read that it was semi auto not pump action. Does such a shotgun exist even?

Pete too funny my 2 carry pistols are an LCP and a glock 26. Could never really comfortably carry the glock though so I pretty much only carry the LCP now. Have a 33rd clip for the 26 as well. Looks funny but I like it for days I go shoot

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Had to Google it, its pretty cool! I like the capacity but was hoping to read that it was semi auto not pump action. Does such a shotgun exist even?
Pete too funny my 2 carry pistols are an LCP and a glock 26. Could never really comfortably carry the glock though so I pretty much only carry the LCP now. Have a 33rd clip for the 26 as well. Looks funny but I like it for days I go shoot
Ha! I feel exactly the same way about the 26. I don't know what it is about it but it jabs me in the wrong places..lol So I use it mostly to practice with at the range.. plus 9's are much cheaper to shoot that 45's.

For whatever reason, the slightly larger 30S is more comfortable to carry than the 26. So I end up carrying the 30S about 90% of the time and the LCP the remainder.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Of course lol. I'm about to get started on the NFA trust so I'll probably look for an AA12 after all that's done. Or if there is another semi auto drum fed shotgun out there I would probably go that route

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
So what hoops do you need to jump through to acquire the NFA trust?
plan on a 6 month wait to get your tax stamp approved. it too me about 4 months to get my SBR, but again im a FFL dealer so it didn't take as along as others. One my co-workers reported a 8 month wait for his can and SBR

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
So what hoops do you need to jump through to acquire the NFA trust?
I've been instructed to go here: http://silencerco.com/nfa-trust/ buy the trust for $129 and fill out the form and I believe get it notarized? Still have to pay the ATF $200 as well. NFA trust is definitely the way to go though as it protects anyone you list in the trust from a felony if for some reason you were to leave a suppressor in your wife's car and she got pulled over lol

Maybe diverb can chime in here, he may have better advise being in the industry.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Terry has it correct. My advise...scratch that I'm not an attorney, my opinion would be to have a lawyer who is versed in class III NFA draw up your trust. The NFA trust also has the benefit of not requiring the chief of police or county sheriff from signing the form. I work in LE and know the sheriff, so I did'nt have a problem getting the signature, so I didn't use the trust.

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files/2015/02/NFA_Gun_Trust_brochure.pdf

Last edited:

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
PhunkFX,

I have a 2013 same color 17" wheels. I have approx 16,000 miles on it since new and I can average 40 around town and 43 to 44 mpg on the highway.

If your into modifying your interior this is what I have done in the last few years. Changed the door armrests, shifter boot and center armrest with the RS3 white stitched leather. Really is quality product that Audi should have offered as an upgrade package. Installed door puddle LEDs and the red door reflecters with LEDs, installed the floor lighting mod with LEDs so they come on when the door is opened at night and stay on at your feet but it is not distracting. This is all adjustable on the center of the inst cluster.
Future plans are install VWR springs (already have) change the front lower control arms with the all aluminum Passat arms (6lbs less of sprung weight), install RS3 control arm busing and install Koni FSDs or Bilstein, still up in the air over that choice.
Currently I am working on installing the wiring and new climatronic for my new to me Sline seats which are heated.
Once my warranty is up I plan on getting a Malone tune and DSG tune. I have DeAutoKey LEDs on all of the exterior and interior bulbs.
:) nice!

We are following/sub'd this thread also - if OP has any questions we have LEDs for your entire car.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
OMG, how did we get into guns in this thread? I have so many guns hahaha. A few I can show, and a few I cannot, but used to own. NYS went all retarded with the gun laws here. But being formal law enforcement, with some tactical training, I also enjoy Glocks. :) I have a G23, and soon a G27. I carry regularly. I have 9mm barrel conversions for both my G23 and G27. :) Long time AR-15 builder and shooter.

It's always good to know an FFL. Getting ammo in NY is getting annoying again. No more online orders without an FFL. I still need to find some .223 reloading dies.

I like this thread.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
:) nice!
We are following/sub'd this thread also - if OP has any questions we have LEDs for your entire car.

I am interested. I would like some LED lights for my license plate, perhaps the interior as well, if it is not too bright.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is my car as it sits tonight, ready for the snow and ice forecast for tomorrow. Complete with Pete's sweet ass grill cover!

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
OMG, how did we get into guns in this thread? I have so many guns hahaha. A few I can show, and a few I cannot, but used to own. NYS went all retarded with the gun laws here. But being formal law enforcement, with some tactical training, I also enjoy Glocks. :) I have a G23, and soon a G27. I carry regularly. I have 9mm barrel conversions for both my G23 and G27. :) Long time AR-15 builder and shooter.
It's always good to know an FFL. Getting ammo in NY is getting annoying again. No more online orders without an FFL. I still need to find some .223 reloading dies.
I like this thread.
Glad you're into guns as well. We sure did hijack the hell out of your thread while you were gone lol.

Yeah NY is retarded for sure. A friend recently moved back there from TN and there were a few weapons he had to leave with a friend down here. Sucks

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
So, I just flashed my DSG module with a KermaTDI DSG tune. Holy crap, it is amazing. So much so that my car now functions as expected and gives me gears when I want it rather than when the car feels like getting around to it.

It is much more driveable and more performance oriented. It's good. It is an actual tuned image for the DSG, not a simple torque limit increase. Thumbs up. More affordable too.

http://www.kermatdi.com/dsg-flash/

I have all the respect for the other tuners, but switching from one to the other. I'm now not thinking about swapping my DSG for a 6-speed. Finally. Satisfaction.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
So, I just flashed my DSG module with a KermaTDI DSG tune. Holy crap, it is amazing. So much so that my car now functions as expected and gives me gears when I want it rather than when the car feels like getting around to it.

It is much more driveable and more performance oriented. It's good. It is an actual tuned image for the DSG, not a simple torque limit increase. Thumbs up. More affordable too.

http://www.kermatdi.com/dsg-flash/

I have all the respect for the other tuners, but switching from one to the other. I'm now not thinking about swapping my DSG for a 6-speed. Finally. Satisfaction.
Wow good to hear! I still think it's weird though, reading the list of tweaks on Kerma's site, it sounds like it's describing the dsg Malone tune! I almost wonder if your Malone tune didn't take or whoever did your tuning just didn't do it and said they did. At any rate though, now anyone wanting to tune their dsg TDI now has the option to knock $100 bucks off of what we all paid.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow good to hear! I still think it's weird though, reading the list of tweaks on Kerma's site, it sounds like it's describing the dsg Malone tune! I almost wonder if your Malone tune didn't take or whoever did your tuning just didn't do it and said they did. At any rate though, now anyone wanting to tune their dsg TDI now has the option to knock $100 bucks off of what we all paid.
I figured that as well, however the dash on my car displayed the gear numbers afterwards. I don't know. The guy/shop that tuned my car said that the Malone DSG tune didn't change very much.

I can tell you, the difference in my car between 2 days ago and today is NIGHT and DAY. I'm talking moonless night and bright sunshiny day. :)

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Lol. Well I have a buddy who is waiting to see the outcome of dieselgate before he deletes/tunes. I will have him give the Kerma dsg tune a shot so I can see how it is. Worst case he saves $100 :D

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, against my better judgement and the unknowing if these cars will be allowed on the road any longer (NY has just issued additional litigation against VAG)... I continue to mod my A3.

I finally got around to putting in H&R Sport Lowering springs along with some Audi TT rear spring Isolators to not drop the rear so much and reduce reverse rake. I couldn't be happier with how it came out. Oh I also have some cheap 19s.

(Sorry it's filthy)

It handles a little bit better. The comfort and ride quality is mostly the same, but it looks SOOO much better. :)

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
That looks great man! Glad to hear that the ride didn't suffer, I've got koni springs and struts sitting in the spare bedroom that I need to find the time to install

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Terry. I hear you there man. I kept the stock struts from the 18" sport package because they were good, and I wasn't so ready for a harsher ride due to struts just yet :)