audi tt alh swap

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
So far the TT, was going to plug in the vw one and check if everything works still, if so I will put the TDI cluster in the TT housing.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I played with that idea, but decided to stick with the TT Cluster. That requires an Immo delete on the ECU, which I didn't like for security in a roadster, so got Marin to match the SKCs for me.

Maybe the older ECU is more tolerant to faults if you really have no codes ? you should certainly have a glowplug fault code and a J317 implausible code. If you have no haldex, then that is less of an issue. And if your TT is older it likely runs the older Mk20 ABS module, mine is 2003 so Mk60 ABS which seems to need more data.
You will likely also have a code for missing message from airbag controller, which seems to cause a few other issues.
Also the cluster will complain about the lack of G266 oil level/temp sensor, unless your TT was the older one without it ?

When it comes to connecting a tune loader, you will have to disable the K-wire system and force it to run CANbus dircet to the ECU. But then you will need to reconnect the K-wire for VCDS comms, as it cannot see past the cluster on CANbus.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
So far the TT, was going to plug in the vw one and check if everything works still, if so I will put the TDI cluster in the TT housing.
VW cluster is not plug and play. It require lot of wiring since VW cluster has 2 plugs and Audi TT has 3 plugs.
Best option is find cluster form UK Audi A3 2002 model with 3 plug connector. It is almost identical wiring.

Other thing is that you are putting 99.5 ECU harness which will make much more work then putting 2000+ ECU and harness. You will have to re-pin and install one of the connector form Jetta 99.5 , since Audi TT is not same.

Is your cars has Immobilizer or not?

Last edited:

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
I have an 02 Audi TT quattro with an EDC16 TDI (BEW). I was never able to get into the TT's cluster and change the immo data. Also, it would never "pair" via the adaptation procedure and adapt to the EDC16 because of a VW/Audi adaptation issue.

However, I was able to manually copy the immo data from the ME7 ecu into the EDC16 ecu. I dont mean copy the file, I mean manually copy the actual immo id letters/numbers in hexadecimal. Once I did that, the cluster was already paired with the keyfobs and the TDI's ecu was happy - and the immo functioned, i.e. would not run without keyfob rfid chip.

It is a multistep process. Get the immo data from the me7 ecu (this is relatively simple via a command prompt using a "dumb" ftdi cable and me7_95040.exe from http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1168.msg10740#msg10740 ). This will get you the immo id from the TT that the TDI ecu needs to have to work with the TT's cluster and the TT's keyfobs.

Basically once you know the immo id numbers from the ME7 you then open the immo data from the TDI ecu with a hex editor and change the numbers (that number sequence was repeated in 3 different locations if I recall) (in ME& it is approximately 7 bytes after the login code. You also change the login code but remember that is reversed, go here for that byte flip issue http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-code-pair-new-key-vcds-lite-2001-s8-2873134/ .

After manually changing the immo id and login code in the TDI ECU you have to recalculate the checksum but there is a tool for that.
To avoid manually calculating the checksum use EDC Calculator from http://www.vagdashcom.de/html/download.html

Getting the immo file off of your TDI ecu and the rewriting that file back to your TDI ECU will be the part you may have to buy a tool for (the ME7 is easy to get into). Which tool or approach will depend on what TDI ECU you have, EDC16 or 15, etc.

However, although I rolled with it for a few months I never liked the TT cluster because there was no glow plug light and the TDI ECU was never happy about that - also the RPM redline. So I ended up getting a TDI cluster from a 2002 A3 from euro ebay (I think it was 8L0920932D). I took apart the TT cluster and put the insides of the A3 cluster into the TT cluster housing. It looks great, however it is KPH but I have gotten used to that. But...this cluster required a wire to be run for the door open sensor because as Jetta97 explained the other nonTT cars want a CAN bus module. Also the A3 cluster did not like my PD fuel sender and I had to invert that signal, but I dont know what fuel sender you are using.

But with either cluster there are no CAN problems with the haldex and the ABS (I can only speak for EDC16 regarding CAN issues though). The only code I have is that the TDI ECU wants to see the Airbag module via CAN and K-line, but this does not generate a check engine light and the airbag module doesnt care.
I am sure I forgot something, but you can get immo with a TDI TT. CharlieT and Jetta97 know their stuff - so I of course defer to them.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I never open EDC 16 , I did it all via OBD, And I did this back in 2011 where no one had solution for it.
The way you did it, it is Ok but needs to much work. Plus you need BDM tool or programer, dislodering eeprom and etc, that was my last option but I did it via OBD.
Only thing I have to do EDC 16 on bench tool. Not possible to do it in the car.

One thing you need to mention this is a job for very knowledgeable people how knows what is eeprom how to edit it and what to do with it.Otherwise you can BRICK that ECU very easy.

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
However, although I rolled with it for a few months I never liked the TT cluster because there was no glow plug light and the TDI ECU was never happy about that - also the RPM redline
Yes, the ECU will throw a code if it does not see the cluster glowplug light load. By random coincidence I discovered that the TT Afterrun Coolant Pump for the turbo seems to draw the same load, or at least make the ECU happy.
Before I hooked up the afterun coolant pump I would get an ECU code and CEL everytime I started it. Once I hooked up the pump to cool my GTB2260 the code never came back.

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
I played with that idea, but decided to stick with the TT Cluster. That requires an Immo delete on the ECU, which I didn't like for security in a roadster, so got Marin to match the SKCs for me.

Maybe the older ECU is more tolerant to faults if you really have no codes ? you should certainly have a glowplug fault code and a J317 implausible code. If you have no haldex, then that is less of an issue. And if your TT is older it likely runs the older Mk20 ABS module, mine is 2003 so Mk60 ABS which seems to need more data.
You will likely also have a code for missing message from airbag controller, which seems to cause a few other issues.
Also the cluster will complain about the lack of G266 oil level/temp sensor, unless your TT was the older one without it ?

When it comes to connecting a tune loader, you will have to disable the K-wire system and force it to run CANbus dircet to the ECU. But then you will need to reconnect the K-wire for VCDS comms, as it cannot see past the cluster on CANbus.
I am using a 99.5 ecu, no programming, socketed for chips, car is a 2000 so no immobilizer and none on 99.5 ecu, glow plugs will be wired in this week so I will see if that code goes away.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
.... you can BRICK that ECU very easy.
I agree wholeheartedly. I only wanted to toss out my approach for possible reference within the forum. For my swap, I decided to jump into the immo crap because it was technically part of the conversion project and out of some sort of foolhardy desire to do as much of it as I could myself. Plus I had some down time here and there waiting for parts.

Last edited:

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
Marin,

Does my .:RTDI still have immo?

Sorry for the thread jack. Marin did all this for my R32 swap.

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
well got the new flywheel back today, installed and took it for a ride, drives nice, only put about 5 miles on it, still have a bunch of little stuff to do but seems good

gassernomore

Vendor
TDI
2003 audi tt tdi
Mk1 TT never had TDI anywhere.
MkII TT came as a TDI in Europe, so it would be an easier swap, but donor cars are still $15k+
I think there are about 10 Mk1 TT TDI swaps in the US, and a few more in Europe. It is a great platform for a tuned TDI engine.
Just want to mention that there is at least one in Canada also lol

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
20 miles on it today with no problems, going to register it tomorrow. waiting on my new dlc1019 injectors to make it more fun

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
I found out that 1.8t and tdi motor mounts are not the same, they look similar and bolt up but are not, a side by side comparison show major differences in the dampening and room for engine movement, I was getting a hard rattle ot series of clunks when pulling away from a stop and shifting under power, swapped out the 1.8t mounts for tdi mounts and the car is much better and feels completely different, like a tdi not a rattle box.

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
just some updates, took the south bend clutch out after having issues with it releasing, would push the clutch in and have a 3 second delay with the clutch engaged and unable to shift into a gear, replaced the slave and master cylinders, no change, pulled the trans and inspected the clutch and found a grey sticky dust on the flywheel side, cleaned the flywheel and clutch with brake clean really good, put it back together and it was good for 2 days and started sticking again, pulled the trans again, same sticky dust, replaced the trans with a stock one (no more high 5th) just in case the dust was coming from the input seal leaking, even though it is dry, cleaned everything again and had another 2 good days and sticking again, so I called south bend and gave them a piece of my mind, was told I could return it so out it comes again, I ordered a vr6/g60 flywheel and a clutch for a 96 Passat vr6, I have had very good luck with this setup in the past. put the new setup and drove to south bend and returned their clutch which was surprisingly easy, I have over 1500 trouble free miles so far. im not bashing south bend but their clutch wasn't what I expected and have had problems with their product since day one and couldn't be happier with my current setup.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
just some updates, took the south bend clutch out after having issues with it releasing, would push the clutch in and have a 3 second delay with the clutch engaged and unable to shift into a gear, replaced the slave and master cylinders, no change, pulled the trans and inspected the clutch and found a grey sticky dust on the flywheel side, cleaned the flywheel and clutch with brake clean really good, put it back together and it was good for 2 days and started sticking again, pulled the trans again, same sticky dust, replaced the trans with a stock one (no more high 5th) just in case the dust was coming from the input seal leaking, even though it is dry, cleaned everything again and had another 2 good days and sticking again, so I called south bend and gave them a piece of my mind, was told I could return it so out it comes again, I ordered a vr6/g60 flywheel and a clutch for a 96 Passat vr6, I have had very good luck with this setup in the past. put the new setup and drove to south bend and returned their clutch which was surprisingly easy, I have over 1500 trouble free miles so far. im not bashing south bend but their clutch wasn't what I expected and have had problems with their product since day one and couldn't be happier with my current setup.
G60 set up is good for 300 ft/lb of torque , this will handle VNT 17 turbo with bigger injectors. So if not going for big power over 300 ft/lb ,
G60set up is the best option , and it is much cheaper then South band.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Were there any wear marks in the bell housing from contact? Pics would be interesting to see.

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
Were there any wear marks in the bell housing from contact? Pics would be interesting to see.
The only marks were from when the first flywheel lost some teeth and spun around the bellhousing. I was a little too angry to stop and take pictures, I have had the trans out 5 times since putting the car together all due to clutch issues. I should have just gone with what I knew works and not get talked into something I didn't need from the salesman at kerma.

JoeK_TDI

TDI
Just shooting in the dark here, but would it make sense to replace the whole wiring harness in the TT with one from a donor TDI, and just hook up the electrical TT components (like door locks, windows, dash, ect.)?

This way, the TT chassis would be running on Golf ECU & harness. I'd tend to think the individual electrical components would be interchangeable (12V & connectors).

Thoughts?