What weight flywheel?

Intenseman

TDI
N/A
I'm gathering parts for a conversion. It's 3500 lb Astro van. It will have a T5 behind an AHU. It currently has 3.73 gears. I'm wondering what weight flywheel will I want to use?

Thanks,
Michael

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
As a person who is now on the third flywheel in the first 5000 miles of a swap, use the biggest, heaviest one you can. A dual mass would be my choice, but I doubt you have that option with a t5.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The clearance for the DMF vs the SMF should be the same....

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'm assuming that it will be using a SBC flywheel. If you are then the a stock flywheel from a 96 ish 5.7 1500 chevy would probably be good. The one I have weighs 27?lbs, and since it is a larger diameter there will be more inertia resulting from the same weight than the stock TDI flywheel.

Intenseman

TDI
N/A
What about clutch disc size? There are basically 2 sizes; 9ish and 11. Would the 11" disc be too harsh for the TDI?

Thanks,
Michael

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
A 9ish (228mm) with the right pressure plate will be all that's necessary for your Astro project, unless you plan to tow something really heavy.

I have the 228 TDI clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel in my Vanagon conversion. It handles the mild Stage 1 Malone tune (everything else OE) while pulling a 1200 lb popup camper and hauling all the other stuff normal for camping (4 adults too).

IIRC, my Vanagon weighed in at 3640 lb with me in it and about half tank of fuel (8 gallons)... Or, the weight may have been 3840.

Intenseman

TDI
N/A
I do carry some gear at times and I do have a 3500 lb box trailer. I've heard some guys talk about slipping with the standard marlin clutch. They ended up upgrading to a heavy duty clutch. I think that was in some of the Toyota truck swaps.

Is the 11" disc too aggressive? I'd just assume get it unless there is a driveability issue.

Michael

Intenseman

TDI
N/A
Thanks for all of your replies. The tune is a stage 2 with larger injectors and a K03/K04 turbo.

Thanks,
Michael

Intenseman

TDI
N/A
One more thing, the T5 that I have has a cable driven speedo. Jagsthatrun.com suggested the 40 tooth differential mounted reluctor ring. However, I remember buying something that screws in to the cable drive hole on a T18 for my IH Scout project that was a conversion for a digital speedo. Of course, the Scout does not have a CPU. Are there options other than the reluctor ring?

Thanks