A/C compressor replacement - DIY

jim_0068

TDI
2010 A3
I found some threads in the other forums for a/c compressor replacement but not specifically for the A3. I'd ASSume it may be similar to the golf/jetta as engine is same but you never know with placement of stuff underneath the car.

I'm most likely doing the buy back option on my tdi anyway BUT if not i need to get my a/c fixed and trying to save some cash.

Thanks for any help or links

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you sure the whole compressor is dead, not just an RCV?

jim_0068

TDI
2010 A3
you sure the whole compressor is dead, not just an RCV?
No, i'm not sure. I have a good relationship with my shop and i think they would know as they specialize in german + TDI but i could ask them.

I did some searching and it seems like something you can replace without dropping the compressor correct? Then just get the system recharged?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the valve can be replaced without moving the compressor. (you do have to recover the R134a first, and properly service after the change.)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284611

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=254699&page=35

and a few others apply.

most shops would prefer to change out the compressor, since they come with warranties.

Replacing just the valve, when that is the issue, can fix the problem.

need to have a good place recover the refrigerant, note oil removed, and then change out the valve. (one of two kinds, snap ring or bolt mount),

then re-charge by weight, replacing oil to make up for that removed, and life can be good.

(all this assumes there is enough R134a, no leaks, and no electric issues, and that the problem is an ECV that sticks.)

good luck...

jim_0068

TDI
2010 A3
It's worth a shot, especially since i'm considering selling back to Audi and having a huge compressor bill to basically suck back some of the buy back cost is a waste of $$. If the RCV can get me A/C back for the cost of an evacuate/re-charge that's a huge savings and allows me to keep the car longer to see what, if any fix, will happen four my A3 and make a decision later.

Really appreciate the help.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
I swapped out a dead RCV over the weekend. Easy job, just need 90 degree snap rings, vac pump, manifold gauge set. Compressor on my 2010 A3 is a Sanden PXE16, replacement RCV is the EX-019 from polarbear. I used the opportunity to recharge with R12a, a/c is now blowing 42F at the vents and comes on the moment the car starts.

jim_0068

TDI
2010 A3
I swapped out a dead RCV over the weekend. Easy job, just need 90 degree snap rings, vac pump, manifold gauge set. Compressor on my 2010 A3 is a Sanden PXE16, replacement RCV is the EX-019 from polarbear. I used the opportunity to recharge with R12a, a/c is now blowing 42F at the vents and comes on the moment the car starts.
are you getting to the valve from the top or the bottom? did you already have the vac pump and manifold gauge set or rented it? trying to figure out if i can do this myself or not. i used to wrench all the time but didn't do anything a/c related, i'm sure i can do it but would just need a list of tools and a bit of instruction.

also what's the easiest way to identify the compressor? top/bottom? any place i order from wants to be sure to not sell me the wrong part

thanks

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can get a good look at the compressor part numbers and valve mounting from the top if you use an inspection mirror.

best plan is to have a local shop at least recover the R134a, (ask them how much oil they pull with it),

then you can do the work to change the valve,

and have them pull vacuum, then replace the R134a with any required make-up oil.

previous links are full of photos and discussion on how to get the valve done.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You are welcome.

feel free to give a holler if you have questions after reading up.

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
are you getting to the valve from the top or the bottom? did you already have the vac pump and manifold gauge set or rented it? trying to figure out if i can do this myself or not. i used to wrench all the time but didn't do anything a/c related, i'm sure i can do it but would just need a list of tools and a bit of instruction.
also what's the easiest way to identify the compressor? top/bottom? any place i order from wants to be sure to not sell me the wrong part
thanks
I have the vac/manifold from previous a/c work on other cars, if you are near the Philly area you can borrow them. I've seen them for rent at autozone/pep boys, though I think you need to buy a can tap if you're going to do the charge.