Doin's at Dan's

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Hi Dan,

First post in a long time. Lots of things other than TDI's happening in my life these days. Got a few things going on with my Jetta that need some attention.

1) It's timing belt time and I bought a TB kit ... but had to have shoulder surgery ... so I'm not in shape to do it myself yet.

2) Not getting any boost ... car is running fine but feels like a stocker! I will pull codes tomorrow if I can get my old laptop with the serial port to fire up.

3) This just came up in the last couple days ... the shifter is rocking back and forth when it's in 5th gear (rock solid in all other gears). It's not popping out of gear, but does give a slight grind going into 5th intermittently.

Mark

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Mark, I'm in Garden City in two weeks. While not equipped to do any work, I can look at things................

Dan, any chance I can pick up some wheels only when passing thru on the way home? June 23rd.

Bruce

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Dan, I have BEW timing belt tools, and an A4 aftermarket fans I no longer need. PM me if you want them.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
Helped a serviceman today. 2004 Jetta, needed a fuel pump, that fixed many of his symptoms (low power, limp mode.)

But he still has a gremlin in #1 injector, getting an electrical failure code. I am seeing a 16 for injector #1 in MVB 018, as well. Something similar to "implausible beginning of injection."

It looks as if he has an intermittent wiring issue. He will peel out the wiring harness and inspect. Maybe DidJettarun or I can pull the valve cover off and inspect under there as well. The resistance of the coils and wires checked good, of course this is an intermittent issue, so they can check good most of the time.

If we cannot find it fairly soon we can swap two injectors and see where the problem shows up again, to determine if it is the injector itself or the wiring or ECU.
Dan, I haven't gotten on the forum in a while (which is a good thing), must mean the Jetta has been running really well for me lately. Hope everything has been going well for you.

But anyways, I occasionally have intermittent electrical issues on my 04 BEW. Typically it manifests in the engine cutting out and all kinds of lights on the dash, before restarting on its own. I also will have symptoms of a "dead" battery when trying to start occasionally. Through a lot of trial and error, I think most of my problems are related to the positive battery cable. Usually I just have to wiggle it and the car starts right up. Never happens more than every other month or so. Not sure if it is a loose connection or failure within the cable yet. Haven't had time to make up a new cable. I think OEM is around a benjamin. My issues are a little more obvious than the ones you have mentioned, they seem much more subtle.

Also, you might remember I was having a misfiring cylinder after we rebuilt the top end in early 2010 after the TB failure. If memory serves correctly, I damaged the #1 cylinder first o ring on the injector, installing it in the head. Doubtful that it would fail if it hasn't been removed, but just giving you ideas and warnings if you swap injectors. Good luck! Hope to make it to the GTG!

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Dan, I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Get better soon. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it to the GTG in Winnsboro, I have a prior military commitment :( . Car's running well, thanks for all the help!

ZIG TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI... 145k (replaced bad cam, and DMF at 64k)
Hey Dan,

Hope your feeling much better soon. My '06 Jetta threw a P0128 code today. Not sure if it's due to the hot weather we're experiencing or not. At any rate, plenty of coolant, and not sure if it's the thermostat or the coolant sensor. You opinion is always welcomed. again, hope you get better soon! - Roger

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Doing fine.
Nothing special, just some diagnostics for folks, a few minor repairs, AC repairs, stealing parts off that wreck.
That wreck has been here long enough to exceed even my loose (farm raised) standards for keeping stuff around. Going to have to do something about that - in January.
How are you, Jimmy? Coming to the January GTG?