Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Here it goes screw the customer

CEO Winterkorn is due to meet with key board members amid rumors of his dismissal. Here’s an action that speaks volumes. Beleaguered German car giant Volkswagen AG VLKPY has hired the lawyers used by BP Plc BP to defend it after the Deepwater Horizon disaster, as it prepares to face the consequen...

xmac81

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
I'd be content with free scheduled service for as long as I own the car, and an extended warranty on the emissions stuff since they will most likely ruin it with the fix. I love my car too much to participate in a buyback, they'd have to give me a nice chunk of change

I would echo this but with the modification that emission related components would be covered for life....

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
What do you guys want as a fair compensation for all this?

1. Software flash plus a gift card and extended warranty
2. Software flash plus compensation for the discrepancy in performance and gas mileage.
3. Buyback at KBB's pricing plus 10% premium
4. Buyback at Kbb's pricing plus 10% ONLY if you buy another vw(if not, you get the software flash from #1). New vw will be at a special discounted price as well.
5. Same offer as #3 but extends to the entire VW group of cars.
6. Make up your own offer and discuss
Compensation for loss of power and mileage and power train and emissions warranty extended to 200K
I would accept compensation of 5K on the cost of any new VW

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Who replaces Winterkorn?

Matthias Muller has been mentioned. Winterkorn was kind of his mentor and Muller studied computer science and IT. Hard not to believe that he also was involved in the ECU programming. This is going to get messy. I am now leaning to the theory that everyone in the supervisory positions are guilty unless they can prove they weren't. Kind of think the German prosecutors are going to nail everyone responsible. Time to throw people under the bus to save their skins.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
this guys world overflows with rationalization and justification to break the law

I live in the same world. And I wasn't thinking at all about that when I was doing 90 MPH down the mostly empty Interstate this morning. :rolleyes:

By the way, the few speeding tickets I have gotten have just allowed more money to go to the lawyers and the municipality, perfectly "legal". ;)

TwinWagons

TDI
2 x 2014 Sportwagons
"Rolling Coal" SOLVES the N0x problem

So rolling coal now includes a gas you can't even see? :cool:
N0x is often used by drag racers to get a spurt of extra power from their engines - It acts to supplement the oxygen used to burn the fuel in the engine.

Old "dirty" engines typically used a little (or a lot) more fuel than they really needed - carburetion technology meant you had to choose between too rich and too lean, and it was necessary to be sure there was enough gas available to ignite every time the spark plug sparked. It's why they got poor mileage and emitted a lot of hydrocarbons and VOCs. But is also why they weren't too bad on N0x - they burned pretty cool and there wasn't a lot of "extra" oxygen available to create N0x from nitrogen.

Lean burn engines reduced the amount of fuel used, and N0x started to become a problem.

Fast forward to today's gasoline engines, that run using stoichiometric (a word for perfectly balanced) fuel mixtures. There's just enough fuel and just enough oxygen, so relatively little amounts of hydrocarbons or VOCs are left over to be released as smog precursors - and there isn't extra oxygen, either, to produce lots of N0x.

But diesels are different. The ignite the fuel mixture by compressing the contents of the cylinder instead of lighting it with a spark and don't throttle the intake which reduces vacuum and improves efficiency (as does the higher compression ratio). So there's almost always a big deficit in fuel and "too much" oxygen. The high compression ratio leads to high combustion chamber temperatures which also increases N0x creation.

To get rid of the N0x there to be a source of fuel that it can burn in the catalytic converter. This can either be extra hydrocarbons from the engine (which would be pollutants if they weren't "burned off" by the N0x, or injected urea.

If you're "Rolling Coal" you're providing plenty of extra hydrocarbons, and the extra fuel being vaporized acts to reduce peak combustion chamber temperatures. You're emitting enormous amounts of hydrocarbons and VOCs, but the N0x is burning off thanks to all the extra fuel.

So roll on! and don't worry about N0x! (just all the other pollutants)

:)

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Because a lot of us DO understand how these things work, and many of us DO reflashes every single day on all kinds of cars for similar problems.
Any prior reflash is not relevant since this news is too new. Every carmaker has new software all the time for all kinds of problems in all kinds of modules.
I think your optimism is misplaced.

While this story is new to the general public, it's not new to CARB, the EPA and VW. VW has known they've been busted for well over a year, and their December 2014 reflash was designed to correct the problem. It failed.

If a reflash was so easy, one would think that VW would have made one already and saved themselves all the embarrassment of the EPA refusing to certify the 2016 TDIs for sale.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
BILLMN said:
Im really curious if my 2010 is stuck in "test" mode... or something... I NEVER see above 40 or 42mpg on a VERY good day!!!! closer to mid to high 30's on a typical tank of highway driving, yes I do keep up with traffic doing 65 to 70 on average and sit in rut hour traffic too, and I do tend to drive my car a bit harder (my other cars are an Audi S4 that I just sold and an Audi S6 LOL) but even before I picked up either of the Audi;s and came from my old '00 Golf tdi I NEVER saw above 42mpg... When I hear of other people getting mid to high 40's and even into the 50's with their SWs I get jealous and then I think about this entire thread of everyone complaining that they might start getting 40ish mpg... LOL welcome to my world from day one!!! but it is what the car is "supposed" to get, and it is about twice what either of my Audis get LOL

I never get into the 40's either but thats ok because I doubt the people who do run 80+ on the freeway and generally drive "spiritedly"
Same here. Highest I ever got was 42.6, but that was driving along I-10 between CA and TX (and I got it on 2 tanks). I usually get 36-39 on long trips, except my current trip, when the car is loaded good, along with a full roof rack - then my average is about 28. Normal everyday driving yields about 33-35

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
My thinking is that VW board is going to have to go outside the company to replace its Chief.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I live in the same world. And I wasn't thinking at all about that when I was doing 90 MPH down the mostly empty Interstate this morning. :rolleyes:

By the way, the few speeding tickets I have gotten have just allowed more money to go to the lawyers and the municipality, perfectly "legal". ;)
You'd fit right in here in SoCal. All the while passing me up as I feel 65 is safe and efficient, it also happens to be the "legal limit".
The legal limit in CA is also ridiculously outdated. I left CA on Monday, and so far, NV, UT, ID, WY and CO all have 75mph or faster speed limits on the highways, for trucks too. It makes driving a breeze, and with my roof rack, my TDI is still getting roughly the same 28mpg average. If I were to mimick the few Prius drivers I've seen and do 50-55, I could probably get in the low-mid 30s.

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
The toxicity of many of the posts in this thread saddens me. I never thought the TDI community was so full of hateful close minded people. This is not some great EPA conspiracy theory. This is all VW's own doing to make an easier buck at the expense of ALL OF US, the Law, the planet and the future health of generations to come. Shameful on VW's part and shameful on everyone who thinks somehow VW is the victim in all of this. We're the victims.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
N0x is often used by drag racers to get a spurt of extra power from their engines - It acts to supplement the oxygen used to burn the fuel in the engine.
Not quite. Emissions are NO or NO2 (Nitrogen or nitric (di) oxide). Nitrous oxide for race cars is N2O.

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired

You are thinking Nitrios Oxicide... that is Laughing gas... it is not the same as NOx (nitrogen oxides)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

While this story is new to the general public, it's not new to CARB, the EPA and VW. VW has known they've been busted for well over a year, and their December 2014 reflash was designed to correct the problem. It failed.
What exactly was the December reflash supposed to do? I remember seeing that service campaign letter, but since I have a tune, had no desire to get it done right away.

If a reflash was so easy, one would think that VW would have made one already and saved themselves all the embarrassment of the EPA refusing to certify the 2016 TDIs for sale.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Well for one thing they want to test the crap out of it before they push it out. All of the concerns that we have about shortened life of various engine components would be among the things that they would be looking at.

Undoubtedly they did some testing back when they first developed the engine, and as others have noted, there must have been some reason that they felt compelled to go over to the dark side. We don't know what the results of those tests were however.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While this story is new to the general public, it's not new to CARB, the EPA and VW. VW has known they've been busted for well over a year, and their December 2014 reflash was designed to correct the problem. .
Prove that please. :) (By the way, I know what specifics the earlier software update(s) were for). ;)

VWturbodiesel

TDI
Passat Tdi
this is a good explanation what are nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide.
And this very interesting quote"
"NOx emissions also causes global cooling"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx

Old "dirty" engines typically used a little (or a lot) more fuel than they really needed - carburetion technology meant you had to choose between too rich and too lean, and it was necessary to be sure there was enough gas available to ignite every time the spark plug sparked. It's why they got poor mileage and emitted a lot of hydrocarbons and VOCs. But is also why they weren't too bad on N0x - they burned pretty cool and there wasn't a lot of "extra" oxygen available to create N0x from nitrogen.

Lean burn engines reduced the amount of fuel used, and N0x started to become a problem.

Fast forward to today's gasoline engines, that run using stoichiometric (a word for perfectly balanced) fuel mixtures. There's just enough fuel and just enough oxygen, so relatively little amounts of hydrocarbons or VOCs are left over to be released as smog precursors - and there isn't extra oxygen, either, to produce lots of N0x.

But diesels are different. The ignite the fuel mixture by compressing the contents of the cylinder instead of lighting it with a spark and don't throttle the intake which reduces vacuum and improves efficiency (as does the higher compression ratio). So there's almost always a big deficit in fuel and "too much" oxygen. The high compression ratio leads to high combustion chamber temperatures which also increases N0x creation.

To get rid of the N0x there to be a source of fuel that it can burn in the catalytic converter. This can either be extra hydrocarbons from the engine (which would be pollutants if they weren't "burned off" by the N0x, or injected urea.

If you're "Rolling Coal" you're providing plenty of extra hydrocarbons, and the extra fuel being vaporized acts to reduce peak combustion chamber temperatures. You're emitting enormous amounts of hydrocarbons and VOCs, but the N0x is burning off thanks to all the extra fuel.

So roll on! and don't worry about N0x! (just all the other pollutants)

thorp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI, 2010 Jetta TDI
"The toxicity of many of the posts in this thread saddens me. I never thought the TDI community was so full of hateful close minded people. This is not some great EPA conspiracy theory. This is all VW's own doing to make an easier buck at the expense of ALL OF US, the Law, the planet and the future health of generations to come. Shameful on VW's part and shameful on everyone who thinks somehow VW is the victim in all of this. We're the victims."

Fantasiamon,

BKmetz posted this over in the Dieselgate thread. This should help you better understand TDI owners :eek:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/sustainability/can-volkswagen-regain-its-customers-confidence

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
What I never run 80+ on the freeway:confused::eek: :rolleyes: ok wait whats the speed limit? LOL in MN the speedlimit is 10 over whatever it is posted so goin up north if it is listed at 70, ya ya Im going 80 and usually getting passed :p and thats with the AC on full blast with 2 or 4 people in teh car loaded down with camping gear, if only 2 people the car is stuffed to teh brim, if 4 then we have a roof bag too LOL
There is a reason my S6 (4.2 v8) only gets in the mid to high teen for MPH... I NEVER drive spiritied LOL :rolleyes:
Lol I literally drive the piss out of mine and its lifetime mpg is still 35. I think thats amazing. Besides, diesels like to be worked hard...they are not designed to be babied. Theres not a gas car made that would break 20 driven the same way.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
If VW were to by back my 2013 JSW I would turn right around and use it on a 2016 GSW. Here is what I posted on my face book page.
No wonder I get great mileage in my VW diesel... my emissions system turns off when I leave the testing booth. I love the smell of nitrogen oxides (NOx) in the morning... smells like, like great fuel millage. Breath deep my gas loving friends.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
The legal limit in CA is also ridiculously outdated. I left CA on Monday, and so far, NV, UT, ID, WY and CO all have 75mph or faster speed limits on the highways, for trucks too. It makes driving a breeze, and with my roof rack, my TDI is still getting roughly the same 28mpg average. If I were to mimick the few Prius drivers I've seen and do 50-55, I could probably get in the low-mid 30s.

I ranged from 44-49.1MPG over my last five tanks, all while driving 65-70, and light city driving. Not too shabby in a DSG equipped, stock, Passat. If I could safely drive 50-55, I'd be in the 50-60 range. But it's simply not safe to drive that low below the speed limit on a freeway whose speed limit is 65. I try to stay one lane from the right most lane as to not obstruct the 75-85mph drivers.

Speed limits exists for the non-drivers, who heavily out number those of us who enjoy driving, and do so responsibly. 5-15MPH can be the difference between walking away from a crash, and being carted off. Most vehicles can out drive their drivers, most end up doing so, these days.

But this is trailing into OT...

Status
Not open for further replies.