Fuel line options? 5/16" HP fuel line work?

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
We have an 03 ALH jetta and it has been getting air in the system. I think its coming from between the filter and the clear line as when i touch the line with the car running it can see a bunch of bubbles through the line. I have some 5/16" HP fuel line from my other gas projects, but am not sure if they are 'diesel rated'? I also would like to incorporate some sort of sighting tube, as it was pretty useful to detect this problem, any ideas?

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
so your standard 5/16 high pressure fuel line will hold up fine with diesel? thats good to know :) how about something so we could see any air bubbles or the like?

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
my 0.02- I wouldn't use rubber fuel line unless you can verify for sure that it is rated for diesel use. Ever seen rubber that wasn't treated for diesel, and has been exposed to diesel fuel ? Over time, it turns into a gooey mess. I suppose you could cut a small sample and immerse it in some diesel fuel, but I don't know how long you'd have to let it sit before concluding it was good / bad.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
My thoughts, exactly. I would look for something that said "Viton" or "PTFE," as I don't believe rubber holds up in contact with diesel.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I believe fuel rated hose is specified for gas or diesel. Bio-diesel may require a different spec hose.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I believe fuel rated hose is specified for gas or diesel. Bio-diesel may require a different spec hose.
I had past experience with fuel line bought from Summit Racing Equipment that was rated for gasoline, but not diesel. I ended up buying a full spool of Goodyear hose that was rated for diesel (because it was all I could find).

The risk is so high, because if the insides of the rubber line go "gooey", it won't be obvious from the outside, and the "gooey" goes into the injection pump & injectors.