New North American VW (Pasetta??)

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
http://info.detnews.com/pix/autos/sneakpeek/chattanoogavw1126.jpg

Chattanooga's new VW to fit between Jetta and Passat

Referred to as the new midmarket sedan, this new car will fit in between the Jetta and Passat in Volkswagen's lineup. The yet-unnamed sedan, which will be built in Chattanooga, Tenn., will likely have a starting price of around $20,000. Volkswagen has openly mentioned the new sedan and what the automaker hopes to accomplish with this vehicle, including generous legroom; large cargo/trunk area; more and super-sized cup holders; improved interiors; ample airbags; and possible all-wheel-drive option. In addition to the North American market, VW may be also developing this platform for the Chinese market.
http://info.detnews.com/redesign/autoreviews/index.cfm?action=sneak&id=33296

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yup, let's crowd something else in a segment where there's precious little room. Gotta leave that low-end alone where VW isn't bringing a chassis here, and since it is a pretty good one, from reports, anyway, you've gotta wonder if cost is the only reason.

What gives, VW? (As if they'd ever answer.)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Brian, I thought the Chatt plant mentioned TDIs when it was first announced?

/EDIT: Hello VW, bribe whoever you need to, to bring the MK IV and Polo/Lupo bodies to the US. Kthnx. The sub-$20 market has lots of potential, look at domestic auto makers, Honda and Toyota.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I for one DO NOT WANT any 'North American only' model. Sorry, every time they try that they are lame. The Westmoreland Rabbit. The Routan? ***?

Bring us some of the cars the rest of the world gets!!! Polo, Lupo/Fox, Sharan, Golf Plus, Touran, T5, Caddy, Scirocco! They have PLENTY of models!!! They do not need any more! :mad:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
maktas said:
http://info.detnews.com/pix/autos/sneakpeek/chattanoogavw1126.jpg
Chattanooga's new VW to fit between Jetta and Passat
Referred to as the new midmarket sedan, this new car will fit in between the Jetta and Passat in Volkswagen's lineup. The yet-unnamed sedan, which will be built in Chattanooga, Tenn., will likely have a starting price of around $20,000. Volkswagen has openly mentioned the new sedan and what the automaker hopes to accomplish with this vehicle, including generous legroom; large cargo/trunk area; more and super-sized cup holders; improved interiors; ample airbags; and possible all-wheel-drive option. In addition to the North American market, VW may be also developing this platform for the Chinese market.
http://info.detnews.com/redesign/autoreviews/index.cfm?action=sneak&id=33296
Looks like a MKIV with a different front clip. Starting price of $20(k) :confused: ? You sure this is not a replacement for the wretched MKV Taurus like re-design :D ?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
It's a German-American Accord. :puke: Super-sized cup holders and a few more inches for super-sized asscheeks. I sure hope they throw a bone to the VW enthusiast community eventually. Can I have a diesel, AWD Rabbit with a six-speed, please.:)

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
VW needs a AFFORDABLE model with variable engine/configuration options. There is a reason why Scion's are getting popular! MKIV Golf/Jetta was pretty good, paid $16.4k for my GL TDI... then VW did away with the GL packages and upgraded everyone to the GLS. They must have hired GM/Ford/Chrysler marketers/survey people...

I like my car, I know it pretty well now and have workarounds for everything that I don't like. Tuners know it VERY well too... The plan is to keep the car for a LONG, VERY LONG time... unless Subaru brings in a WRX STI Boxer equipped 4 cam Turbodiesel hatch/maybe a wagon then i'll do a downpayment with a CitiBank credit card!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
If that is it it does look like an Updated A4 body . Probably heavier and less efficient than the current Jetta .......Way to go VW :rolleyes: missing the boat again ..........................

I also agree that a Polo size 3 cyl TDI ( 65-70hp / 110 lb-ft w/ 6 spd manual that can achieve 70+ mpgUS ) is the answer they need not another mid sized want to be .........

But this car isn't really aimed at us , like they would ever listen to buyers like me :confused: . VW knows they are the only diesel option in this price range that is US/Canadian spec so they don't have to give us anything extra . They count on the fact that we will sweep up by the truck load any diesel option they offer . And I doubt that I will ever own an A5 Jetta , this car is just tooooooooooo big & toooooooo heavy & uses toooo much fuel for me .

Hey VW , the B4 & A4 TDIs are as big of a car as I ever wish to own & drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a high mpg lower power Polo sized diesel car to replace my aging A2 diesels !!!!!!!! Not another over sized overpowered fuel wasting model that interests me in the least ..........

Can you say another VW dumb :rolleyes: North American move.......................Again I don't think we are the market they are going for , the owners that have paid their bills for the last 30 years like me .........

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
***? There's no difference between a Jetta and a Passat anyway! How could you possibly put a new model in between two already identical ones?!! :confused:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Mrchaotica, huh?

The Passat is a true sedan in suspension, road-holding, manners, and chassis stiffness while our little Jetta's are scant imitations of sedans. As much as I like my Tdi, the Jetta's chassis is rubbery and flexes like crazy. Try this acid test:

Flip down both rear seats on a Jetta and go for a high speed drive over rolling roads. The Jetta MUST have its rear seats up and locked in or it flexes a huuuuuuuge amount--actually it's pretty downright scary. I put a C-pillar brace into mine because I frequently like to carry odd sized loads in the pass-through trunk.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
nicklockard said:
Mrchaotica, huh?

The Passat is a true sedan in suspension, road-holding, manners, and chassis stiffness while our little Jetta's are scant imitations of sedans. As much as I like my Tdi, the Jetta's chassis is rubbery and flexes like crazy. Try this acid test:

Flip down both rear seats on a Jetta and go for a high speed drive over rolling roads. The Jetta MUST have its rear seats up and locked in or it flexes a huuuuuuuge amount--actually it's pretty downright scary. I put a C-pillar brace into mine because I frequently like to carry odd sized loads in the pass-through trunk.
The current Jetta and Passat ride on an almost identical platform. Not sure what you are referring to in your post. The current Passat is just a slightly larger Jetta...just like the B3 was a slightly larger A2, and the B4 was a slightly larger A3. Only the B1, B2, and B5 Passats rode on a totally different platform shared with the middle sized Audis.

The Passat's main size difference is in the wheelbase. They are a wee bit wider as well, but it is NOT a huge amount. When you raise the two in the air side by side you can see just how similar they are. I agree that there is little "room" for another sedan inbetween the current Jetta and Passat. I bet it will be a larger-but-less-contented than the Jetta.