Resurected 2010 Golf TDI GOING Evil Gunmetal

What do you think of my black chrome GOLF TDI?

• Love it!

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Hate it!

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

Mishka1012

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI, 2010 Golf TDI
Hey guys I am here to show a project that not alot of people ever attempted and I don't blame them.. seriously it would've been tons easier if i just bought a new car.
Long story short this is what it was like when I got it:

It was not pretty and was more messed up than the worst thing you would think from the picture.. the engine long block was cracked.. how does that happen? so it has a newer engine and other tots.. anyway I spent many months working on the car and collecting parts. When it was time to put finishing touches I just handed it over to mechanics that had no idea how to paint a car :mad: Hi-tech is the worst painting shop to date.. especially that they have bs trophies, they never put clear coat on so now its up to me to fix it as always. Other than paint the car is flawless.. literally You would never be able to tell that this car was hit other than 1 flaw that bugs me so bad that I am going to figure out a way to solve it one day (vw logo in one of the headlights is missing).. I keep it in the garage and its rusting as we speak on the parts that have been painted so before it gets any worse than microscopic rust spots.. I decided to do something radical that hasn't been done on mk6 vw golf before..
Silver is a cool color but I need something flashier so what is happening right now:
:cool: DIY Black Chrome Wrap
I never wrapped a car before in my life but It's actually happening and not that hard comparing to swapping engine and tweaking turbo :D
Anyway car is still getting done I'm thinking I will have all of it wrapped in a few months but here is the sneak preview of the 2 fenders I was able to get done with my buddy last time..

That's a little teaser for ya.. Just two pannels for 2 people took close to 4 hours and 80% of the time we were working the corners. I will take DSLR shots when I'm done with it and I'm also still waiting on dealership for touch up paint for rock chip spots.. black chrome has to be flawless. So im gonna do wet sanding and the whole deal.. the right way.
So let me know what you guys think of the project Love it, Hate it? or whatever you think. This is just a teaser I will be posting more picures as I go along.
I think by now I can do anything I want with this car, I literally touched every bolt on it from turbo to suspension bolts.. the really fat and important ones! :eek: If you have an option to buy a salvage car and rebuild it.. take my word for it.. don't do it! Just get a new one I know thouse couple thousand that I saved will never make up for months of work I put in the car. Made me appreciate it alot more than any other car I owned. I never saw myself black chrome wrapping it but it's happening. And it's time to make this car look as it is.. evil as S#!T !!! I lost count of how many civic si's I've smoked in this thing It almost feels like that Need For Speed movie when I dive this car so tight... Ofcourse this may be just because my last car was ALH Beetle TDI where you learn patience, gearing and how the burnt rubber smells in the second gear :p
Also I can't decide with the rims.. it has GTI rims from 2007 I think and They're either staying this color.. going chrome black like the car.. matte black plasti dip to make it more evil than it already looks or I have some carbon fiber wrap that I can put on them as well.. I am not afraid of challenges so this car is going places. Oh almost forgot.. anyone have any idea on how to remove rear diffuser from a bumper? that part was not damaged so I need ur help here haha.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I dont know, looks bad now, wet sand it and buff it and then we might know if we like it...

Mishka1012

TDI
I don't think wetsanding is an option dude.. This black chrome is a sensitive thing.. And driver's side did come out crappy cuz my friend was using squeegee the entire time.. Second fender was done with the glove. I'm propably gonna redo that part in the end also I am going to buff it once I'm done with the entire car. Any of you guys have any ideas on how to remove passenger side door handle?
For any of you looking to do the wrap just a tip to prep surface I recommend wash->claybar->alcohol and whipe with microfiber. Do not wax or buff it lol.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Oh, its just a stick on deal. Looks like a paint job with a lot of orange peel to me.

Mishka1012

TDI
Alright so it's done looks evil pink to me but you be the judge haha btw I really don't expect anyone here to understand why I changed my car this way duh tdi and no it does not add to mpg hehe anyway here is what I got.

Mishka1012

TDI
Yah next step is I gotta do something about the wheel color, plasti dip with glossifier maybe? Idk wheels just look off to me now
Open to any cool and incredibly bad ass ideas.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Looks pretty slick. Can't go wrong dipping the wheels black or anthracite. Could go for full crazy with the chameleon treatment.

Mishka1012

TDI
I was thinking of chameleon but them I thought of how easy break dust was gonna show anyway got them dipped today I will get pics later, it's raining today. I dipped in black matte and then put a little glossifier on to make them grayish black. Looks amazing I didn't expect it to look so well maybe I will do the chameleon on top of that too hehe

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
I like it more than I thought I would. I bet a matte aluminum wrap would also look pretty good. Let's see a picture of the wheels...

Also you should tine the tail lights or get the LED R taillights, just my opinion though. Good work!

Mishka1012

TDI
Alright I did a few things to the car since I was thinking about bagging it but with tdi engine hanging so low I'm having second thoughts. here are the results of what is so far, sorry for the quality just randomly decided to take pics:

That last one had to be done after beating civic si hehe
also a little on living with vinyl.. It's cool shiny all that **** also when it's light out it looks coffee, it only gets pink in cloudy conditions. Also deffinetly stay away from power washes cuz surface gets scratched by the rollers and it's really obvious on vinyl when it does. Lesson learned :) I honesty haven't got tiered of the tail lights yet but I may consider swapping them in the future.
I think I'm going to slow down with this car for winter cuz I wanna save up for imac.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
I really like it...too bad you couldn't seal or treat it with something like EXO Gtechniq...but after reading your posts it doesn't look possible...again...looks great,very unique!!!

Mishka1012

TDI
Alright quick update. I'm taking mcat in a week and afterwards planning on installing gti exhaust system that is sold locally. Anyone knows difference in sound between stock vs gti? I want it louder and i like the two pipe look so hopefully it will still be on sale a week from now. Other things wrap is changing color, probably gonna turn totally chrome in 6 month or so but car is garaged so im not too worried about it. I attached some photos from before I went to vw fest:

Last edited:

Mishka1012

TDI
Alright so I did get that exhaust $95 cash with resonator from this cool guy in wisconsin that actually held on to it for the week while I was busy with school. Also ordered the gti twin pipe bumper insert $101 shipped now before it arrives November 12 :D I need to track down a rubber hanger, probably at a dealership ($12) don't feel like making a drive to junkyard and 55mm to 60 mm adapter to match up the exhaust idk how much that peice is gonna cost me at auto parts store, or I may just have the part for it in my garage somewhere from when I was working on old jetta's exhaust XD that thing got a hole in resonator and sounded louder than mustang for a week before I replaced the resonator. Ahh good times, hopefully gti exhaust won't disappoint. I did a lot of reading on this project and everybody says there will be no difference in sound and idk how about you guys but I like my tdi to repel as many priuses as it can lol fingers crossed. btw still don't want gti tails simply cuz don't wanna attract any beamers lol gti to them is like civic si to us ^_^ nice nd ez
P.S. I will post pics after that thing is done. Last project before winter. Also plan on covering entire belly with plasti dip to prevent any unnecessary rust

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
Sadly with the dpf on there you won't get a change in sound.. Mine is straight pipe from the flap back and I hear no audible change. I guess outside the car sounds a little better. But no aural pleasure inside the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mishka1012

TDI
Hey yeah everyone was right about the sound. No audiable difference however it does look better and I'm still waiting for diffuser. I'm gonna drive a few days without lol, couldn't wait. Here are a few annoyances I could not find in any other writeups on the project again this is not all the steps or whatever this is just things that were up to me to figure out:
Soo I'm only gonna talk of how I made adapter cuz it was the only long part of this project. its common knowlege that gti exhaust is 60 mm inlet and tdi is 55 mm but here in United States when you go to autoparts stores all we see is inches so I used short adapter pipe 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 both inner diameter (I.D.) pipe although thinking back to it now, O.D. Would've been a better choise since there was plenty of room there between adapter and exhaust on both sides. Next I got same size clamps that look like u's. Clamps didn't fit right away ofcourse cuz tubes were a bit fatter cuz only inner diameter counted. Next thing I did was cut the short adapter (3 dollar peice) to be able to change its diameter with clamp. Again nothing fancy but my 2 1/4 I.D. End actually required 3 slots to make up for 3.15 extra millimeters which was strage considering that 3.5 mm difference in 2 1/2 I.D. End only required two cuts to be on tightly. I did 3 anyway just in case so I don't have my exhaust fall out one day. Everything else was hustle free. I also used car soap to lubricate rubber hangers on and off was easy in case anyone else was intimidated by them like me.
Again I couldn't keep myself away from doing this without diffuser so although I posted some on fb, no pics yet untill I get that diffuser on my car. Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Mishka1012

TDI
Alright its done :)

and here is the mid project pic before i got the rear diffuser:

And a shot of muffler before installation (its covered in black plasti-dip) no burning or problems thus far :)

and when i first got the catback:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
The most disturbing part of all is that you're taking the mcat. Please post your scores. You should have them by now.

Mishka1012

TDI
Mcat scores take a month to get back, besides this is a car forum. The exhaust thing is after I took mcat to take some of the stress off of myself, working on cars is therapeutic for me.

Mishka1012

TDI

P.S. His name is Absinthe now :D yes like the drink. I used vvivid vinyl this time and it was much easier to work with, took me a week comparing to two month with the previous wrap and results are much more impressive (also cost 3x more $$$). APR Stage 1 tune & Window tint and some other goodies like suede door handle insides and green HID headlights, little stuff like that that just makes this car special to me. The other guy's insurance paid for everything done to bring it back to "previous condition" too bad I couldn't take it to the first supercar saturdays of the season, oh well.