Straight piped my golf (videos)

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I have yet to figure out why people think its cool to make cars or motorcycles louder on purpose.

konrad

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
It doesn`t sound like a tractor. If you were a real car guy , you`d understand lol. Its your opinion I guess.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A real car guy... like all the ricer kids putting fart cans on the back of their ride?

I understand you think making more noise is cool, I'm sure eventually you will outgrow it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have yet to figure out why people think its cool to make cars or motorcycles louder on purpose.
with motorcycles its a safety issue, for some reason people often don't notice motorcycles, anyone who has ridden can tell you stories

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
with motorcycles its a safety issue, for some reason people often don't notice motorcycles, anyone who has ridden can tell you stories
If you are really concerned about motorcycle safety, buy a headlight modulator. They are thousands of times more effective than trying to make your bike so loud it annoys people.

/I know, they aren't as 'cool' as loud exhausts
/I have been riding since the age of 5
/I currently own 3 motorcycles (with well over 100k miles under my belt) all have stock exhausts

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The headlight trick doesn't help with cars merging from your right side on a 4 lane when they side swipe you off the road. That said the 6 Harleys in my extended family are slowing going back cat farts for sound. Side car passangers don't like the noise either (we have 3 of those) and one trike.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
when i had my golf lowered on coilovers you could tell i had a muffler delete ...now that i put the stock struts with 337ae springs back on, you only hear the engine at freeway speeds.... ride height does make a difference due to the exhaust note hitting the pavement due to exhaust tip angle/placement

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
when i had my golf lowered on coilovers you could tell i had a muffler delete ...now that i put the stock struts with 337ae springs back on, you only hear the engine at freeway speeds.... ride height does make a difference due to the exhaust note hitting the pavement due to exhaust tip angle/placement
THe same applys in winter, exhaust is Much louder bouncing offthe fresh snow..

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 2004 Golf GLS TDI
wow, alot more turbo noise than mine. Music to my ears.
I agree, the only reason IMO to even consider a mufflerectomy is purely for the enjoyment of hearing the turbo spool.... You also get the added bonus of sooting up annoyingly bad Prius drivers as you take off at stops :D:D

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I picked up a 2" dia, 3 foot long section of stainless steel tubing WITH a 90 already welded to it (will cut it down to make it a 45) for $4 the other day at the scrap yard.

Once I get my smokey startups sorted out I will install it and spool away.

Might do a v band clamp on it and the car's exhaust and put one on the stock muffler as well for quick swaps for long car rides with the family.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Well, I took the plunge today as well. Got the 2" dia Stainless pipe and 90 bend from a scrap yard for $4 and had the 1/2" rod laying around.

Took 4 hours!

Opinions: suprisingly quiet! Some spool on startup and shut down, but not a ton more while driving. Get the "BOV" sound during shifts (turbo veins shutting) Sounds stock at idle and pretty much anything under 2000 rpm.

Wondering if my cat is partially plugged or something, or if the 2" dia or turndown angle is limiting the turbo whistle I can hear...

tdi98beetle

TDI
98 beetle tdi
Well, I took the plunge today as well. Got the 2" dia Stainless pipe and 90 bend from a scrap yard for $4 and had the 1/2" rod laying around.

Took 4 hours!

Opinions: suprisingly quiet! Some spool on startup and shut down, but not a ton more while driving. Get the "BOV" sound during shifts (turbo veins shutting) Sounds stock at idle and pretty much anything under 2000 rpm.

Wondering if my cat is partially plugged or something, or if the 2" dia or turndown angle is limiting the turbo whistle I can hear...
I just did this on my beetle yesterday. I will snap a picture....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
2.25" I think? It slipped right over the pipe I cut off.

Yeah, I hear no difference other than the turbo chop is louder now. I have had guys working the drive thru ask me if I am running twin turbos!

Last edited:

ksmitty244

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Ive had mine straight piped for 150k now. Love it. Love how so many people knock anybody that wants/ or has done this. If you dont like it coment on anothe post

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
I like when people tell me I am stupid. Gives me the chance to see if they might me right! LOL

And my car is NOT straight piped. I just removed the muffler. You cant even tell its gone. Its not anything like the coffee can gasser rice boy fart cans!

Last edited:

gregm784

TDI
2005 Golf 2010 SportWagon
I am interested in a mufflerectomy on my 05. Gotta keep the cat for now (smog ****s in CA). What size pipe? I see 2" and 2.25" in this post.

Fly_TDI

Somewhere in Southern IL or MO... collecting bugs
TDI
2002 Golf GL
I straight piped my Golf about 150K miles ago... No lights... (where did you guys even get that from???:rolleyes::confused:)

Noticeably better low end torque, and picked up almost .6 mpg.

Diesels are not loud on a straight pipe like a gasser is... just sounds "throaty", and you definitely hear the turbo spool down when you come off the throttle.