Turbocharger Vane Pos. Sensor/Speed sensor

Jools

TDI
2004 Jetta
I ran VAG-COM on my 2004 Jetta TDI and got 2 faults. 18996 and 16705. The first one as I understand is 'Turbocharger (TC) Vane Position Sensor (G500)'. now the 2 possible solutions as I found on wiki are:

Check Turbocharger (TC) Vane Position Sensor (G500)
Check Wiring from/to Turbocharger (TC) Vane Position Sensor (G500)

Can anyone shed some light on the procedure for this? Or possibly direct me to somewhere online I can research it some more? As well I checked all the hoses from my N75 and they look fine, but I haven't tested the actual sensor itself.

The second code is 'Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal'. Now if my speed sensor wasn't working I don't think the car would start. I've heard that this code could be caused by out of date ECU software. My car has 6327. I called the dealership and they told me that for $50 they would update the software and it should clear that code. Before I go that route is it something I could do myself? Thanks folks.

Jools

TDI
2004 Jetta
Just an update. I removed to N75 and checked all the vac lines to and from, they look good. The engine light actualy went out the next day and seems to be coming on and off pretty frquently now (it was on pretty much all the time before). I read that you could spray break cleaner inside the N75 and shake it around to clean it. Is there any way to actually test that valve though? Thanks.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Jools said:
Just an update. I removed to N75 and checked all the vac lines to and from, they look good. The engine light actualy went out the next day and seems to be coming on and off pretty frquently now (it was on pretty much all the time before). I read that you could spray break cleaner inside the N75 and shake it around to clean it. Is there any way to actually test that valve though? Thanks.
jools you may want to look at post #12 @ http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=202923