locked out child lock on door handle broke

skater76690

TDI
97 passat tdi
I just bought a 97 volkswagen passat tdi the right rear door is locked child locks on and the outside door handle is broken I tried to slip in a screwdriver to the side to unlock the child lock so I could open the inside door handle neti beers on how to open the door maybe through the outside door handle polls open a little bit there's a crack that you can fit on throat but I don't know where to switch anything inside

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Symptoms of the Child Lock On

I've read a number of posts from members who have experienced a door that wouldn't open, and the various fixes they've used.

I have a rear passenger door that will not open from either side. The door lock knob on the door cannot be pulled up into the unlocked position. Pulling up on the knob, I can hear the lock trying to open, but there is very little travel. Operating the locks from the driver's door key unlocks all three of the other doors. I can see the rear passenger "stuck" door lock briefly move up,, but quickly goes back down to the locked position.

I've taken the inside door panel handle off, I can see that the cable is still attached to the inside door handle, it does move when I attempt to open. Outside handle is very sticky, it is probably broken.

Are these the symptoms of a child lock that is stuck in the on position?

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 TDI stock, have owned and repaired 4 B4 TDI's since 1996

Drill 1/2" hole here
e

Front door shown, closest latch is door lock. Second latch is outside door open.

Second lever needs to push down, with door unlocked. Handle arm not shown.
If anybody knows a better way, I would like to know, Artie

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Any ideas as to the reason why the door lock can't be pulled up to unlock? As I mentioned in previous post, I can pull up on the door lock knob a little, I can hear the linkage moving, just feels like there is something forcing the lock back down. If I let go of the knob, lock returns to the locked position.

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Not sure if this makes any difference,, but on the functioning back door, the child lock switch on the dash has no effect on door locks. From what I can tell, on the working door, with the child lock on, the only restriction that the child lock adds is that the back door handle window up/down button is disabled. I can lock/unlock/open with no restrictions. The car has had a couple of electrical issues.

Am I correct that with the child lock button pushed in, this feature is turned OFF? Seems a little backwards. What should a properly functioning child lock do with respect to door locks?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The switch on the dash is just to lock out the rear window switches, they do nothing for the door. It's so that children in the back won't continue to operate their windows without parental control.

Here is the inside of a door latch. In this picture it is unlocked, with the child latch off.

I will describe its operation.

The tab on the upper left is where the door striker hits to release the latch. I have seen where Chinese door handles won't hit this striker contact properly, causing it to come off part way down. This can cause the handle to jam part way and the door will not open because it is bound up but it won't go back to normal either. To remedy this, pry out gently between the door and handle base and try to close the handle (push it towards the door). Put some tape over a thin blade screwdriver or gasket scraper to avoid marring the paint.

This is a front door latch, but the opening mechanism is the same. In fact, a rear door latch can be substituted for a front door latch in a pinch.

If you suspect that is not the problem, we go to step 2. In the upper right of the first photo is the latch lock mechanism. Notice it's in the up position, indicating the latch is unlocked. The picture below is of it in the locked position. It physically moves a barrier in the way of the mechanism so it will not work from either handle.

The lever slides into a plastic socket inside the door itself, which is on a pivot, and this is connected to the door actuator inside the door. Pulling up on the door lock should move the pivot enough so the door latch will work. That this is not happening tells me it may be the problem. If the latch lock mechanism can be reached inside the door (you said the door card was removed), try and move it up and then open the door from the outside.

Now, about the inner door latch and child lock, here is how it works.

The inner door latch is connected by a cable to the lower part of the latch. You can see where the arm is at the bottom and the half circle area where the cable housing goes. The cable itself comes out of the cable housing and is attached to the arm inside the latch that goes straight up. It's just to the right of the lower spring that is wrapped around the mechanism. Attached to the end of the cable is a hook shape that goes around this flat metal bar with a notch in it.

So what happens when you pull on the inner door handle is the cable, which is anchored at the half circle arm, pulls on that flat bar with the notch in it, which then pivots at the spring and releases the door latch.

The child lock comes into play in that it is just a small metal tab on a rivit that gets in the way of that arm moving. So when it's to the inside of the latch (to the front of the car) it's active, and when it's pulled out towards the outside of the latch (the rear of the car), it's inactive.

Here is a good picture of the orientation of the child locks. The on the right has the child lock active and the one on the left has it off.

Here is a photo I took to show what's happening on the inside, you can click on it to zoom in.

The one on the right has the child lock active and the one on the left has it off. You can just make out the little metal tab that gets in the way of the bar, so it won't move.

Here is a single picture with the lock in the on position. It may be a little clearer to see the little tab that prevents the bar from moving.

Now, I have seen worn out door latches that made the door very hard to open, and it took some finesse to get it open. Here are a few pictures. You can see the little spring inside has poked through the plastic housing, which was worn away when the door was misaligned due to the hinges being worn out.

Click on the above picture to enlarge. You can just see the spring end poking out of the latch on the left, the one on the right is a good latch for comparison. If you look closely you can see it on the left latch just below and to the right of the upper bolt mount. These are front door latches, which is why they look a little different, but they operate the same.

Here is a closeup of it, with the latch upside down so you can see it better.

To get the handle off, I had to over extend the inner door handle, which meant removing the inner door handle pull piece and pulling on the cable with some pliers. That may or may not work, so if it doesn't, try this on the outer door handle:
*Push the whole door handle and housing to the rear of the car as far as it will move.
*When there, push in on the rearmost part of the door handle housing itself, and while holding it to the car firmly...
*Try pulling on the door latch itself, all the way out.

I have spare rear door handles and door latch mechanisms if nothing works and you have to destroy something to get it off.

Good luck.

~Disclaimer: I typed this from a hotel room in the NH White Mountains on an iPad mini while the wife was sleeping, which was not an easy thing to do since I had to grab the links to the photos and edited it 22+ times. There may be spelling errors or items that I missed....in which case I also blame it on the beer I had while typing this over the last 1 1/4 hours. If parts of it make no sense I'll correct it tomorrow when we have some down time from hiking due to the storms rolling though, probably in the evening but not too late because I'll undoubtedly be having more spectacular local NH beer. ;-)

So if you have any questions that'll also be the earliest time I'll be able to address them. All photos are on my SmugMug site, here. Feel free to look at them in more detail or at ones I did not post.

Last edited:

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Thank you so much for the excellent write up. I know very few people, if any, who would take the time to help others the way you and many other forum members do. Your time and efforts are truly appreciated.

I am afraid that my earlier post may have been unclear as to the interior door card. It is still attached to the door, I did take the long plastic inside handle off, the one that covers those two screws that must be removed to get the door card off. With that removed, I could verify that the cable was still attached to the inside handle.

As for your Photo 2, the image of the door striker and release latch,, using the other door to create the correct bends, I can push down the release latch using a slim jim. I can hear the spring on the latch compressing as I am pushing down. Door will not open. Would pushing down on the release latch correct a striker alignment problem?

On to your next step, the latch lock mechanism. There is very little travel when pulling up on the door lock knob. I can hear things moving at the rear of the door when I pull/push on the knob, but not enough to open the door. Unfortunately, without the door card off, can't see the state of this. Using the working door as an example, it doesn't seem possible to use anything like a slim jim to work this upwards. Spent quite a bit of time bending slim jim and testing with the good door. Can't seem to get enough bend to reach that white plastic pivot or the rods connected to it.

A couple of questions on the child lock. If it is not controlled by the switch on the dash, how is it activated or deactivated? If it is in the active state, does that prevent the door from being unlocked by pulling up on the door lock knob? I've read a few posts where someone has used a credit card or other flat flexible plastic object to push the lever outwards. Is this something you would suggest trying?

One thing that I would like to mention,, when I first purchased the car, it had an issue with Fuse 21. Although I cannot be 100 percent positive, I believe that this fuse would blow when the "all door lock or unlock" was triggered from the driver's door handle. This was something intermittent at first, now I cannot recreate this condition. No blown fuse in weeks during daily drives.

The Bentley manual mentions a door activator. There seems to be both electrical and vacuum inputs to this. Could this somehow be keeping the door lock from fully unlocking? Could it have been going bad and causing Fuse 21 to blow?

The earlier suggestion from Artie B is starting to seem like something I may try. It is hard to tell if that would give me enough room to access to the latch lock mechanism.

I hope see a few reviews of those local NH beers.

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 TDI stock, have owned and repaired 4 B4 TDI's since 1996
Does the window roll down? If so, spray WD- 40 in the area of the striker, while working the manual and electricly controlled front door with the key or manual lift unlock knob. Don't get to aggressive with the key, if used. You will break the cast aluminum lock / unlock yoke.
If the door handle white plungers arm is bent.... it will not open. I believe the only option is drill the handle. Or rip a door card to pieces.
If anyone knows a better way..... I'm willing to learn, Artie

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I believe the child lock is activated with a switch on the side of the door - the part that holds the striker assembly. It should stop the child from unlocking the door. Unlocking the drivers door, in the b4 unlocks all others. Maybe the same with the a3?

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
gfnetadmin, there's a lot of technical info on this thread that obviously you're not understanding but to make it easier on you, the only way as far as I know, for you to open that door is going to be either, drill the outside handle as pictured before or rip your inside door card/panel.

The child lock is mechanical and you can only have access to it by opening the door and manually set it up, there's a metal arm at the bottom of the door latch.

The switch on the dash will only lock or unlock the use of the rear power windows, nothing else. And, the electrical problems you had before are not related either.

So, you decide what's easier for you to replace, the outside door handle or the inside door card and have fun with it :)

Hope that makes it easier.

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Success

I did manage to get this door open this morning. Using a slim jim, pushing down on the door latch mechanism, did not seem as though there was as much up and down travel as the other door. This gave me a little hope that maybe my issue was the striker, as outlined in the excellent post earlier, keeping the door latch somewhere between closed and open.

After spraying large quantities of assorted lubricants down inside the door, I gave the slim jim one last hard push down. Felt some additional movement. Repeated this again with a little more force. This time, I must have hit the striker instead (judging by the big gouge). This was enough to push the whole striker further out of those two eyelets that hold the striker on the handle, which freed up the door latch.

Door unlocked, could easily be opened from the inside. Swapped out with a spare handle, some new door gaskets, door operates nicely now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try and post a couple pictures of the old handle later.

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
When I got the door open and handle off, the two eyelets that secure the striker to the handle were both bent downward. The top of the striker was almost all of the way out of the handle, which may have been pushing down on the door latch? You can see that the bottom eyelet is broken. I did that trying to straighten, which makes it hard to demonstrate the exact state of things when the door opened. With that bottom eyelet broken the pin that holds the striker in the handle slides freely down and out of the handle.

The scratches on the striker were from where I pushed the striker further out of the handle. I can only guess that this is what happened, things had gotten a little frustrating by that point.

Thanks again all for your assistance.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/gfnetadmin/photo1_zpscf3220b5.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/gfnetadmin/photo2_zpsd0811eac.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/gfnetadmin/photo3_zpsb4d58867.jpg