Unusual suspension problem

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
My front drivers side starts to creak whenever it gets above 80 degrees or so. Today it was 90 and it was creaking almost constantly when driving down the road, turning the steering wheel and accelerating or decelerating. I could even get it to creak simply by pushing down on the front end.

Below 80 degrees it is silent and there are no driveability issues whatsoever.

Struts are FSDs with about 80k Miles. Half the control arms (I can't remember whether uppers or lowers ) were replaced with OE about a year ago.

Is my strut going? Shock mount? Control arms?

Anyone have any ideas. This is probably going to be the hottest week of the summer in the NE, so I'm hoping to figure this out this week.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Have someone push down on the front end while you listen for the location of the sound.

Inspect the sway bar bushings and links.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Maybe just spray/soak the sway bar bushings/links and see if that is it. Not sure whats the latest greatest stuff for that purpose, assuming they are some sort of rubber.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
My front end squeaked in my 2005 Passat TDI a little and it was a cracked bushing in a control arm. I replaced them all at about 100,000 miles with a Meyle kit and it took care of the issue. The hot/cold squeak/no-squeak issue could be an expansion and contraction of the metals involved. Then again, it could be something else. A cracked bushing is not itself a big issue and does not need immediate attention; however, the extra play in a joint can cause uneven tire wear.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
It was only 76 on the ride to work this morning so all was quiet. I expect it to be noisy when I leave this afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially, TS. I'm a little hearing challenged so finding the exact location of a sound can be tough for me. If I can eliminate it, I'll know where its coming from.

I'm going to use some dry bike chain lubricant that I have. It sounds like the noise is higher up in the suspension but I'll put it on ramps to check from underneath this afternoon.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
It didn't really get hot enough today. When I was driving it started creaking but within a few minutes of getting home it was quiet again. I think tomorrow may be my last chance to figure this out unless we get another heat wave.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
John, speaking of hearing, I've developed my "selected hearing"to a high level, adding a series of bs filters...