AAB EuroVan

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
I Picked up a EuroVan and a Transporter this week. Both diesel's with manual transmissions.

The I believe that the EuroVan has a broken timing belt. I think it's a interference engine. Does anyone know for sure?

Either way I'm pulling the engine out of the Transporter this weekend.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yes it is an interference engine, basically a 5-cylinder version of the mid-nineties AAZ IDI engine, mechanical fuel pump, no electronics.

In general the bottom end survives a broken timing belt but you'll want the head rebuilt including new lifters and probably at least 4 new valves, depending on how many imprints you find on the piston heads.

As an aside, my brother has a fleet of 5 of these vans and has a bit of a collection of spare used parts... no heads unfortunately.. but if you find yourself needing other bits and pieces he might be be able to help.

Valves, lifters, etc are still available... since they are the same part numbers (for the most part) as the AAZ engine.

Last edited:

danielsza

TDI
2014 Passat TDI 6 Speed Manual, Highline, no sports package, Night Blue Metallic
thats what i thought.

I'm have the engine out of my transporter. The body is way too rusted to be usable. I should be done pulling all the parts out of it this weekend. So I can scrap it.

I'm sure I'll need other parts. I'll let you know once I figure out what else I'm going to need.

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/alh auto
1997 VW transporter with AAB cranks but won’t start

I was driving and it stalled and won’t start. I don’t seem to be able to connect vagcom. My first thought was dead ecu but I thought these things would run without electronics. The cluster lights up normal the glow plugs are getting power and the fuel is flowing. Is it possible that the ecu died and that why it won’t start? Timing belt is fine I have a new ignition switch I’m gonna try but I have a feeling it’s not going to help. Can someone who is familiar with these help me please I’m very familiar with the alh’s but never worked on an idi before. Much thanks

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Unfortunately there's no ECU there for VCDS to talk to. :):)

It's an IDI diesel engine, so 100% mechanical injection pump. You'll have to do troubleshooting the old-fashioned way. :)

A straight stall is generally something simple... often fuel-related. When you crank the engine can you see fuel flowing thru the clear line at the fuel filter (right side of engine compartment) ? Lots of fuel, or lots of air bubbles?