Car prices going crazy??

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I just saw today that you can get a base Kia for 10 grand plus 0% financing. Yeah, I know...I wouldn't want one either, but it's a brand new car for 10 grand base. Crazy!
Also read that GM's January sales were down by 47% persent or something. If one's been holding onto money and is in need for a car, there are going to be some good deals in the next while.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Except none of the deals are for diesels; which sort of makes it a moot point (for me, but I log 40-50k/year).

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
And all of them are GM's. Unless it's a G8 (I'm sorry I like that car...rear wheel drive? V8? weeeee) I hardly care ;)

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
The kia may be ugly, but the quality is there. I'd love to trade in my Tucson for something much much better on gas. Its a pig. Car drives great otherwise. Anyone know of a crossover like suv thats good on gas?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
TDIMAXIMA said:
The kia may be ugly, but the quality is there. I'd love to trade in my Tucson for something much much better on gas. Its a pig. Car drives great otherwise. Anyone know of a crossover like suv thats good on gas?
No! depending to what your definition of pig is, they are all around 12-14L/100kms for city and 8-10 hignway.

I've got a freestyle, its AWD 6 passenger and good an gas. well i get like 10 highway and 13 city.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
LNXGUY said:
I'm looking for a truck, hopefully I can find something cheap cheap cheap!!!
The other day I saw in the paper a dealer advertising new, regular cab Dodge Rams for $11K. That's almost HALF off MSRP! If I were in the market for a pickup truck I'd have jumped all over that! (Well, that and if they'd start making them with manual transmissions again...)
Toronto_Vento said:
I just saw today that you can get a base Kia for 10 grand plus 0% financing.
That's the same deal they used to do back in 2002 or so (which, incidentally, corresponds to the stock market being the same now as it was in 2002 -- weird, that:rolleyes:). The Rio's not a bad car, but I think the Hyundai Accent (it's twin) has better styling (and I also thought that back in 2002 -- see sig :cool:).

Of course, if you really want a deal, hold out for the "buy a Sortage, get a Rio free" sale. :eek:
TDIMAXIMA said:
Anyone know of a crossover like suv thats good on gas?
First-gen Scion xB. It's technically an economy car, but it's boxy enough that it could be an SUV! Don't get the second-gen; they screwed it up with a much larger engine and heavier body. My dad's averaging over 30mpg (combined city and highway) with his.

Or get a used CRD Jeep Liberty.

Last edited:

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
LNXGUY said:
The longer you wait, the cheaper I imagine it will be. Prices on everything are going to continue to decline. I can't really imagine GM and Chrysler being alive by the end of the year. People will be dumping assets and the worse off they are, the lower the prices will be. You should be able to score a real deal by the summer if you can wait that long.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
mrchaotica said:
First-gen Scion xB. It's technically an economy car, but it's boxy enough that it could be an SUV! Don't get the second-gen; they screwed it up with a much larger engine and heavier body. My dad's averaging over 30mpg (combined city and highway) with his.
I don't think Scions are available in Canada yet, although they are on their way. I know Whitby Toyota will be getting them. The xB is like a mini-Element. Ugly! :eek:

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
Kia #$%^&*!!!!!

TDIMAXIMA said:
I bought a Kia a few years back thinking I would keep it till the warranty ran out and then buy a TDI (Buy a disposable till I could afford what I wanted). Well after 4 AC compressors and then the dealer refusing to work on my car, I figure enough is enough and trained it in. Good riddens!!!!

BTW, my 3rd compressor took legal persuasion to get fixed and the 4th one failed before I traded it in. The warranty is good for toilet paper as far as I am concerned. The dealer told me that they didn't know why I had so may problems but they didn't want to loose any more money... No mor warranty work for me...

I hope for Kia owners sake, they have improved... mine was a 2001... May be it was built on a Friday of a long weekend???

All I can say, is TGFVW! TGFTDI! I have spent a few bucks on a few wear item but it did not loose my shirt. I would never buy a Kia if my life depended on it! I'd rather be put out of my misery.

Just my 2 cents

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I've also had dealings with Kia's over the years - the warranty, whereas long, is tough on the dealers, so they try to get as much out of the clients as possible. Hyundai may be better, i'm not sure.

I saw that you can get a Nissan Versa for under 13k - now that's interesting!

dttech

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Black
I'll be needing a new vehicle by June, preferrably a truck as well so I'm hoping for more price drops.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
KID A TDI said:
And all of them are GM's. Unless it's a G8 (I'm sorry I like that car...rear wheel drive? V8? weeeee) I hardly care ;)
Bad ass car,:D

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
LNXGUY said:
Man, they are out there. The wife went shopping for an 8 passenger SUV. She found an '08 Durango Limited. Leather, mygig, rear camera, rear AC. 14K miles for 19K.
She absolutely wore the salesman out. It was funny how desperate they are to move those things. Whatever you think about the deal, she's happy. Need I say more?

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
I think the whole automotive industry should follow Apple computer's business plan. Because apple has such a streamline of products, instead of making so many, they focus on the few that the have and perfect them. And instead of going after each customer's tastes, they create a taste which is uniquely "apple" which brings customers to them, having them assimilate the company's "taste" instead. This not only saves time, but resources, manufacturing costs, and customer stress. Imagine of Ford only had 1 SUV, 1 Sports Car, 1 Minivan, and got ride of all there other smaller affiliate companies. So instead of having internal competition with itself, you make all these factories "FORD" only, and have them all making the same cars. henry ford said it best when he said, "sure you can pick a colour for you car, as long as it's BLACK". Another prime example is "General Tire", while they do have a limited number of tire models to pick from, each one excels in it's own category. The automotive industries' branched way too far for the limited customer pool that exists, and now their paying for it during this recession. Frankly, i'd like to see one of the BIG 3 fall, because it's needed to stabilize the industry, there's just wayyyyy to many companies. However, VW is the only exception, and all other companies should bow down to the "people's car" :) In a sense, VW is Apple in the automotive sense, except in the last decade or so, they've been pumping out too many models as well, one of the things that has actually been keeping VW in a very good state, has been their TDI's and Diesels. I remember seeing a video report during the Clean TDI press converence that stated that 50% of their Jetta sales in NA, were diesel. The reason being, VW is one of the very few companies in NA that sells diesel. If you look at the Diesel sales during the recession compared to the Gas sales, Gas has taken a nose dive, while TDI's have been stable. Now, this may be in part of the high gas prices, but still, even when diesel prices were higher, they were still pretty stable.

Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I feel the same way when it comes to Nissan vehicles. They typically gave you great performance at a good price. However they have some of the worst after sales service ratings in the business. Cars made today are much better built then even 2 years ago. Kia and Hyundai are the Honda and Toyota of the 70's and 80's. So far, the car with the least visits to the dealer for warranty repair has been our Hyundai Tucson. 26 months, 30,000km's, one visit. We didn't even have to go, but I felt since we are doing a oil change, why not bring something up to them.

Every car company will have a car and customer that is poorly built, abused or just plain unlucky. I feel that after sales service and common sense can help overlook some of those short comings. American Car Companies have typically backed their products from a corporate level, because they knew they had a sub par product. When your warranty claim isn't black or white, or left for interpretation, you may be surprised which company may deny your more often then not. I know from my experience, Nissan corporately is difficult to deal with, even when it won't cost them a penny.

I think for $10,000 if you can get a new car thats good on gas, good warranty, and you actually like the drive of it, buy it, whatever make.

TyeRant said:
I bought a Kia a few years back thinking I would keep it till the warranty ran out and then buy a TDI (Buy a disposable till I could afford what I wanted). Well after 4 AC compressors and then the dealer refusing to work on my car, I figure enough is enough and trained it in. Good riddens!!!!

BTW, my 3rd compressor took legal persuasion to get fixed and the 4th one failed before I traded it in. The warranty is good for toilet paper as far as I am concerned. The dealer told me that they didn't know why I had so may problems but they didn't want to loose any more money... No mor warranty work for me...

I hope for Kia owners sake, they have improved... mine was a 2001... May be it was built on a Friday of a long weekend???

All I can say, is TGFVW! TGFTDI! I have spent a few bucks on a few wear item but it did not loose my shirt. I would never buy a Kia if my life depended on it! I'd rather be put out of my misery.

Just my 2 cents

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Speaking of which, I saw an ad this morning for a 3-door Hyundai for 10 grand and 0% financing. Will be good to see how this all shapes up.

Been reading some interesting things lately about the economy, etc. The thought is that we aren't at the worst of it yet.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Toronto_Vento said:
Been reading some interesting things lately about the economy, etc. The thought is that we aren't at the worst of it yet.
Heard a comment yesterday that GM is considering pulling out of Canada altogether.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They wont leave....When times are good, its easy to spend money. Now that they are not, they are looking at any way to cut back. Im sure they can build all their cars in the U.S. What a recession does for most business's is give them a reason to clean house. Bloated salaries, expenses accounts, office buildings, gas cards..... Nobody will argue with you. A smart business will thrive through a recession.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
KID A TDI said:
I was a passenger in the GT version. I'm pretty sure we hit mach 3. Very fast car, and very nice.

+1

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Johhny04 said:
Read in the paper today, Mazda is offering 0% financing for up to 60 months on some 2009 models.
I don't think that's anything new....0% financing has been around for a few years with the north american car producers. (Mazda is owned by Ford, or Ford at least has a large stake in the company). Maybe the 60 month thing is new.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
So when are you convertig it to diesel?

Chev sell the Blazers in South America with diesels. Maybe you could do an OEM swap :D

Seriously tough, If there were small pick-ups available in NA with disels, I bet they couldn't make enough of hem to keep up with demand. I know I would buy one.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Nigel, you wanna help me with a Duramax swap? :) :)

I'd love a little diesel in this thing. I don't even wanna think about the mileage this truck won't get.