FS: 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon, GLS 5-Spd - SW Michigan

WMJustice

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-spd
SOLD 11/7/2015.

Pictures on photobucket. All pictures were taken on 8/28/2015.
Location: Plainwell, Michigan, in between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids.

My wife and I are the original owners of the Jetta - we bought it new in January 2004. We bought it as our family car, but we just paid off our mini-van that replaced the Jetta as the family hauler, so we’ve bought a new car and it’s time to sell the Jetta. It comes with the owners manual and all service records (I think). I also have the original window sticker and even have the original Jetta sales brochure.

265,460 Miles. Mostly highway miles. Until 2011, this was our family car that would lug four of us around on trips. I also had an 80-mile round trip (half freeway and half 2-lane highway) to work until 2010. It has recently averaged low 40’s mpg in mixed driving.
Colors: Indigo blue exterior, gray velour interior.

5-speed manual transmission; diesel, electronic stabilization program (ESP). We are non-smokers - nobody has even smoked in the car. It was always parked in garage.

Standard features: Original carpeted floor mats, retractable cargo cover, power moonroof, power windows (although the driver’s side control for the front passenger window is a little loose), power locks (although the rear passenger lock is sticky), cruise control, air conditioning, heatable power side mirrors, roof rails.

Cold weather package: heated front seats, heated windshield washer nozzles. The passenger side heater started causing a burning smell last October, so we haven’t used it since then.

Timing belt: done by r90sKirk in Rockford, MI at 186,750 miles.
Oil changes have been pretty consistently done at 10,000 mile intervals. Almost all were done by the local dealer - again, I have the service records for this. Other regular maintenance has been pretty consistent, but you’re welcome to look at the service records.

Tires: They have 4 Mastercraft Avenger 195/65R15 all-season tires that I bought in October 2014 - mounted on OEM alloy wheels. They have about 8500 miles on them, since I switched winter tires on for about 5400 miles this past winter. Comes with wheel locks and full-size spare tire and tools under trunk floor.

I replaced the factory Monsoon double-din radio in 2009 because the cassette player stopped working. Current unit is a JVC KD-X250BT single-DIN unit (bought in Sept 2013) that has USB and AUX IN ports, Bluetooth, and a remote control. It does not have a CD player. I still have the Monsoon unit if you want it.

Comes with 1 master key and 1 valet key (lost the other master key), although I have the key code.

Driver’s side mirror: small part of molding is missing from the time I wasn’t paying attention backing out of my garage and the mirror hit the side. Doesn’t affect the operation of the mirror or the heatable-mirror feature.

Collision/accident work: (1) rear bumper was bumped at low speed at a stop light and was repaired; didn’t need to be replaced. (2) Dealer made a small dent when replacing a brake light on driver’s side, and paid for a body shop to repair it; in the right light you can see where it happened.

As you can see from the pictures, there is rust above both front wheel wells, with the driver’s side being worse. I took the car in earlier this summer to make a claim under the 12-yr corrosion warranty and/or a technical bulletin that discusses this problem. However, it’s probably going to be a few more months before the body shop gets approval and time to do this work. You’re welcome to take over my claim, or start your own claim locally.

There’s also rust starting at the top of the driver’s side door, and there’s some bubbling starting near the rear gate above the driver side brake light. It’s less clear that this will be covered by the corrosion warranty - I’m still waiting to hear.

The check engine light has usually been on for the past several years, although it wasn’t on when I took the pictures. New glow plugs were installed at 174,000 miles through the 28F6/T9 recall. The front and rear brakes were replaced in the last year. For the past 2 years there’s been a brief noise coming from the starter drive when the car is started, but it hasn’t affected anything.

A few scratches on the driver’s side, swirl-shaped scratch on rear bumper; about half a dozen small chips on front of hood above grill. There’s a stone chip in the windshield that was treated.

Passenger side seat belt: plastic cover at top of belt broke off; doesn’t affect belt’s operation.

There are a few stains on the back seat to prove that my daughters grew up in the car. There’s also a stain on the center console and a small stain on front passenger seat. The center console cover is wobbly.

Comes with an extra Mann fuel filter.

Last edited: