bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Black exterior with grey interior.
GLS model - leatherette, heated seats/mirrors, sunroof
fully current on all maintenance items.

~202k miles on the chassis and trans.
complete engine (intake to turbo) replaced at 158k with a good running 83k mile unit. (have receipts)
complete timing belt kit, brakes and all fluids/filters were done at time of engine replacement.

The details:
2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Wagon, also known as a B5.5v tdi.

Selling because we are downsizing our lives and reducing monthly costs this car is currently financed,We bought the car in May 2014 with 160k miles on it and now the car is at 202,xxx miles, which will slowly increase as I am driving the car a couple of days per week. I purchased the car in Seattle Washington area and drove it back last May and have driven it daily since then including dozens of longer weekend trips. The car performs flawlessly everytime and I have kept up on the maintenance and replaced several parts.

The car is located just north of Louisville KY in Jeffersonville Indiana. As far as I can find I am the 5th owner of the car. The first owner in WI, another in MN here and then three in WA... this info can be confirmed through carfax. I have a recent report from last year that I can provide if desired along with a binder of most of the receipts from repairs and maintenance over the life of the vehicle.

Everything has been well maintained and I can/will include any documentation I received from the cars prior owners, plus any records I have from maintenance/repairs I have had done. Also have a couple of spare parts(brand new front struts and lower control arms) that I will include with the car since they are Passat/TDI specific and will have no use for them.

The high points:
-When the original engine failed, The previous owner bought and had installed, a complete low mileage engine with 83k miles. Complete as in, Intake to internals to turbo, valve cover to oil pan... all had ~83k miles(now 120,000).($$$$)
-As part of the engine replacement installed was a full timing belt kit (belt, bolts, tensioners, waterpump) all replaced with 100k interval items. ($900)
-As part of the engine replacement and ALH oil pump kit from BoraParts was installed to completely eliminate the troublesome oem BHW Balance Shaft Module (BSM) with a much more reliable part. aka balance shaft delete it done. ($600)
-While troubleshooting the above engine failure the mechanic found that the in-tank fuel pump had a small leak and replaced the in-tank fuel pump. ($250)
-Both the ECU and TCU have custom programming done by InMotion Tuning in Portland, OR. http://www.inmotionusa.com/ ($600)
-I have replaced front upper control arms the lowers are still in fine shape I check them every month.
-I replaced the steering rack and purchased upgraded tie rod ends for an Audi S4 to improve the handling.
-rear brakes were replaced last year.
-I did a transmission fluid flush on it a few months ago the transmission is in great shape.

The good:
-Higher optioned GLS model with sunroof, cold weather package (heated mirrors/seats thought the driver seat heater needs repaired due to a short thus burning the seat cushion slightly) and leatherette seats.
-Non-smoker car for at least the last 90k miles/4.5 yrs... we don't smoke and neither did the last owners family.
-Well maintained during my ownership, using all oem spec approved fluids and sticking to the scheduled maintenance.
-Oil, air and fuel filters have all been replaced in the last 1000 miles.
-Tires are BRAND NEW and upgraded to Michelin Defenders(90,000 mile warranty) 205/65/15 with ~4k miles on them, they are supposed to be good for about 90k miles.
-New VW battery at approx ~190k miles.
-Trans filter replaced at approx 130k miles. Fluid flush at 195,000
-Alternator replaced alternator at approx 150k miles ($150)
-Front brake pads replaced at 151k mi, front rotors
-The AC system was serviced at 153k mi, moisture purged and recharged to spec.
-Two key fobs and owners manual included.
-Trailer hitch and wiring mounted.
-The car comes with OEM monster mats in good condition.
-axle boots replaced at 180k
-schaffers oil only for the last 45k aka since I've owned it.

The not perfect:
-We are dealing with an 11yr old car, so there are a few minor bumps and bruises on the body and interior.
-The car came from the midwest, so there is a little more underbody wear then a normal southern car would see... but nothing like cars from the East Coast.
-The center console rear ashtray was broken by one of the PO's and since I don't smoke, or allow smoking in my cars, I never got around to fixing this. Some of the soft touch on the front of then center console near the shifter is peeling off.
-The front drivers seat is wearing out in the bottom cushion cover and the passengers seat has a burn mark from the seat heater getting too hot.
-CEL is on for #1 glow plug which I will be fixing soon.

The full monty (just to make sure I am not leaving out a single detail):
-In Sept 2013 at about 158k miles, The previous owners wife had a low speed (25mph) impact with two very small deer. No airbags activated. Hood, headlights, radiator, cooler and core support were replaced. Other parts were repaired or refurbished. The work was done by a shop, Bankers Auto Rebuild http://www.bankersautorebuild.com/, in Washington. I am willing to provide documentation of the repair and whatever images I have of the damage as requested. The repair was approx ~$4700 covered by insurance company. As this was a comprehensive claim, it does not appear that it was reported to carfax.
-In June of 2015 I was rear ended very gently at a stop sign there is a small crease in the rear bumper that is barely noticeable.

This is a great vehicle I don't want to sell it but due to many different circumstances I MUST sell this vehicle soon. The price is high because this a somewhat rare car to find around here and has had a lot of expensive repairs done to it to make it a VERY reliable car. I paid 12,500 dollars for it last year when I purchased it and have put a few thousand in repairs and maintenance into it. I will accept offers on the Vehicle and am willing to work out a deal to sell the car and finance whatever difference I need to with my Credit union to get this car sold. I will post pictures soon I just need to take some.

Last edited:

dubchef

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon - CHAINLESS
I think 5 figures might be a bit high. I just sold my '05 TDI wagon for $7200 with 163k. Leather GLS trim. Also, I'm not seeing that you've done anything with the BSM. It was in great shape.

Redeemed

TDI
2002 New Beetle 2013 Jetta bought back
"As part of the engine replacement and ALH oil pump kit from BoraParts was installed to completely eliminate the troublesome oem BHW Balance Shaft Module (BSM) with a much more reliable part. aka balance shaft delete it done. ($600)"

About midway in the description.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I'm open to offers on the car. I'm not in a hurry to sell it but want to get a newer vehicle soon preferably AWD. I'm also open to trades on it. BSM delete is done. The cam checked out 25-30k miles ago. I've always run schaffers oil in it.

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
tranny ,tranny, tranny if not some maint.done torque convertor is justaround the corner.! if not the whole thing.just saying.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Just sold my 05 Wagon B5 for $8100 with 132k , 10K is outa the Q for the Miles .

dodgeking7131

TDI
2001 Jetta
I just picked up a 05 wagon in Minnesota in near perfect condition for 1600. just has a reverse issue so a trans is on order. have 4k into it. 151k on the clock with a bsm upgrade ( not deleted) most seem to be sitting even at 5k.

PassatTDIGuy

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
Just bought my 05 wagon for $5200 cdn in Vancouver. Needed a valve body and will need BSM delete sooner than later but runs great. 138k kms