2001 Jetta TDi, Blue Lagoon, mild mods

oldskool1963vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi
SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

FS: 2001 Jetta TDI
Blue Lagoon, Tan leather, sunroof. 182,400 miles (will go up since its my daily).

My wife and I bought this car in October of 2001. It had 10,470 miles on it when we got it. I still have the bill of sale from when we bought it for $18,500. My wife drove the car for about 6 months. Since then it has been my daily driver. The car has always been garaged and all the maintenance was done at Reeves Import Motors until the warranty expired. After that it has been all me with the exception of a couple of jobs that I didn't feel like tackling (timing belts, turbo replacement, injection pump). I wash/detail the car religiously and always keep up on the maintenance. It gets an oil change about every 8000 miles and every time I do the oil I will either drain the fuel filter and run diesel purge through it or replace the fuel filter and prime it with diesel purge.
Everything works on this car like it should with the exception of the drivers side seat heater, glove box handle and the CEL is on due to a bad glow plug or glow plug wiring on the heating element. Car starts and runs great and the heat does still work. I get about 38MPG with the 100% city drive that I have now. Car will get about 45MPG or better on the highway. I don't race the car. It's a TDi after all. But I did take it down the drag strip one time at FIXXfest. I raced my cousin in his 2003 Jetta 2.0 liter (with exhaust and tune) and I beat him by about 4 car lengths. So with the tune it is not as slow as you would expect a TDi to be. It's also not a barn burner....but hey, its a diesel, gets awesome fuel mileage and is fun to drive. I don't really want to sell the car. I don't really need to sell the car, but it would be nice to have some extra cash. At this point, with all of the major repairs done, the car is not going to cost me much to keep. However, I would like it to go to a good home. I don't like parking it outside and I have would like to have more time to devote to the GLI. On with the details....
I still have the original window sticker. Will include all 3 original keys. One of the remotes is in MINT condition because I have never used it.
Still have the original book with the radio code and everything.
I have tried very hard to keep this car in good shape. My wife always gets mad at me when we go somewhere with it since it takes me forever to find an end parking space. The paint is is pretty good shape considering the mileage but there are a few door dings (two self inflicted) and some rock chips on the front end. Otherwise I would say the paint/body are an 8/10. This has been a Florida car all its life. The interior is in pretty good shape for a MKIV. The soft touch is....well VW soft touch. The top of the dash is in excellent shape. The lower dash panels (beige parts) do have a few cracks and the drivers seat has a tear in the upper bolster and the leather is slightly stained where your pants belt would hit it. The glove box pull handle broke off a couple of months ago but you can still open the door. I think www.fixmyvw.com makes a repair kit for this. Otherwise the seats are MINT. Especially the passenger and rear seats. I use leather cleaner and conditioner regularly. I would give the interior a 8/10 also.
The car has a few mods done to it but nothing very serious or non-reversible. Here is the list of mods:
-RocketChip stage 2+ tune
-Stealth race pipe (also will include the original EGR).
-EGR cooler delete (will include the cooler).
-Muffler-ectomy.
-Euro headlight switch
-GLI taillights and head lights. Headlights have working fogs and the tails have the 5th brake light mod with red LED bulbs in the fifth spot.
-GLI front brakes with GLI spindles modified to work with 5 speed axles. New bearings and ball joints done at the same time. Front and rear pads have 90% life left on them.
-Brembo cross drilled rotors on the rear.
-16" spare tire (needed to clear GLI brakes).
-Front and rear Neuspeed sway bars.
-FK Koni sport coil overs. With Koni adjustable struts/shocks. These ride 100% better than the V-maxx coils I used to have.
-R32 control arm bushings.
-Four motion front valance.
-ECS poly dogbone mount.
-8mm/15mm spacers.
-Fumoto quick change oil valve.
-LED license plate and side marker bulbs
-Stubby antenna.
-Including the FK coil-over wrenches and the Koni adjustment knobs.
-Rial Nogaro 18x8 wheels. They don't make these anymore so they are getting harder to find. They are a rep of a BBS wheel but at least these reps are actually made in Germany.
-225/40/18 Nitto NeoGens. Installed at 156,070 miles.
-McNally boost/EGT gauge in colomn mount pod.
-Polk Audi speakers and Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS head unit (bluetooth and handsfree). Will also include the factory radio that still works and the 6 disc changer.
-Recently had the windows re-tinted. Can't remember the % but its whatever is legal here in Florida.
Headliner was redone in red suede a couple of years ago. It was my first time doing a headliner like this and I don't really like the way it came out (both color choice and quality). It's probably the only thing I want to change on the car at this point but its kind of a matter of taste so I will leave it to the next owner. It's not sagging or anything horrible.
Car will come with the stock sideview mirrors. I am keeping the stubby power FOLDING mirrors for my GLI or may sell them later.
Will also include a KERMATDI VNT17 hose adapter and gasket kit like this one: http://www.kermatdi.com/turbo-hose-adapter-for-s7-vnt17-kp39/
Maintenance(it's paramount):
This is a list of the more recent/big ticket items that have been done. I do have a few receipts but I was not real big on keeping every receipt since I was never planning on selling this car. Instead I have a binder that I have recorded ALL of the maintenance that I have done (see pics in the photobucket link). I do have the receipts for the turbo replacement, injection pump, and last timing belt change, along with a stack of other random receipts.
-Turbo replaced at 63,520 miles.
-Timing belt done at 161,769 miles. Used the 100k belt kit from ID parts with metal impeller water pump.
-Clutch done at 167,833 miles. VR6 clutch disk, 21 lb Single mass flywheel, new throwout bearing and pressure plate, changed transmission fluid, replaced rear main seal.
-New AC compressor done at 172,410 miles
-Stock motor and trans side mounts replaced at 175,016 miles.
-Rebuilt Bosch injection pump done at 180,447 miles.
-Diesel Geek shifter bushing and first gear getter installed at 181,641 miles.
-Will also include a new drivers side inside door handle plastic part (will not be installed until sale).
I did a quick walk-around video of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-leFl9XlUU
And an exhaust sound video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZ3OJJAsVY
Here is the link for the Photobucket page for the car. Some of these are old...some are more recent. http://s278.photobucket.com/user/oldskool1963vw/library/TDI
And a few pics (most of these are more recent):

(the rest of the pages are in the Photobucket link)
Asking price is $6800.00. Yes, I know what I am asking. Yes, I know what your friend paid for an ALH. I know you can get one for a lot cheaper but it will probably NOT be in as good shape or will not have been taken care of like this one. Please keep the negative comments to yourself, please. If you have any questions please send me a PM. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
Beautiful car, it would be tough to part with it. Good luck with your sale.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nice car. No way I'd sell it if it were mine! Good luck with your sale. I passed your info along to a friend, just FYI in case someone from the STL area contacts you.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Wow, that's a steal at $6800!! I can't believe you're selling it!!

oldskool1963vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi
Sale is pending guys. If the deal falls through I will update this thread.

...and now I'm sorry I did this :(

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
I don't think $6800 is too bad of a price for this car. Good job of maintaining your car!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Someone in Ft. Worth is thinking about this, as well. Please update this thread, as appropriate.
Thanks, oilhammer, for forwarding this to me.

oldskool1963vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi
Thanks for all the replies guys. As of right now I have a small, refundable, deposit on the car. the prospective buyer (who is in Michigan) is going to have his dad look at the car this weekend. I will update this thread after that.