www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old February 21st, 2018, 20:32   #31
KERMA

VCDS logs won't be useful at all, because tuning boxes by their very nature are "fooling" the ECU into doing something out of bounds while thinking everything is normal.

Maybe some duty cycles would be different, it would take a very practiced eye to recognize. The usual "actual vs specified" boost/timing/duration/rail etc logs would be rendered incorrect at best.

Unless the box is tied into the can bus and very sophisticated (IOW expensive) it is NOT adjusting for each of the myriad modes of operation. (and I doubt that a european company that supplies units for every make and model imaginable would even be aware of the subtle but *critical* differences between usa and euro models of CR TDI engine management)

These devices typically operate by adding a flat percent to one or more parameters, much as if there was a wrong sensor installed in the car. At best it is a scaled change and there is no discrimination between warmup, regen, and normal operation for example. This can be downright dangerous, especially in the USA-spec ecus which are VERY VERY different than the Euro-spec ones, even if the engine hardware seems somewhat similar.

At best the factory limiters will severely hamper the potential benefits of the add on box, at worst they will be bypassed and the ecu will be tricked into destroying some aspect of the hardware.

In other words it probably won't do much, and if it does, then be careful.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:41   #32
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

This thread was already hijacked, closed, then reopened once due to the needless insertion of “concerned” or “dismissive” comments of this type. I’d love to get away from the continual digression fueled by ECU tune enthusiasts and ECU tune sellers. If you look at my comments elsewhere you will see that I have spoken fairly of the other solutions out there. Let’s keep this thread narrowly on topic, please. Thank you.

In the coming weeks, I will be posting observations about my q5’s performance and fuel efficiency under the Chipwerke module post emissions fix. Stay tuned.

2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2018, 18:50   #33
Beeej259

TDI(s): 2015 Q5

I’m very interested in the results! I just bought a 2015 Q5 TDI.
Beeej259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 08:18   #34
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Stay tuned. I reconnected mine today.

Old March 4th, 2018, 08:28   #35
Beeej259

TDI(s): 2015 Q5

Sweet 👍
Beeej259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 10:56   #36
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

I hooked up the Chipwerke today. First impression: noticeably more powerful both during the warm up and after. I was using the unit prior to the fix and noticed a difference before, but post fix, reattaching the device I am noticing even more of a difference under the same chip setting. Nice pull off the line, no lag. Also noticed a bit more diesel clatter during the warm up compared to post fix without Chipwerke. After warm up, I am using the paddle shifters like I normally do to control my own shift points. The car holds taller gears better under Chipwerke than without. I’ll know more about mpg’s after I put more miles in. I’ll report back.

Old March 16th, 2018, 17:01   #37
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

It’ll take a while to get usable mpg numbers. I share the car with wifey, she likes to tailgate and normally gets about 3-4 mpg less than I do. She has the car for the week.

I can confirm that the car really pulls nicely with the Chipwerke, no lag. Love it. The shift patterns don’t change back, of course, and if you don’t hav paddles you’re stuck with that. But the performance is excellent.

Old March 26th, 2018, 17:37   #38
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

OK, I have some fuel economy data now. The first two tanks post fix post Chipwerke averaged to 33.7 mpg. Just over 1000 miles driven. This is up 1.2 mpg from the previous two tanks, post fix pre Chipwerke. So, a small increase, nothing huge, but in concert with the added low end power a nice extra.

The difference in engine performance when fully warm, on a warm day, is significant vs. winter. We'll see what summer diesel does with summer air temperatures. I was routinely getting over 35 mpg pre fix, so something yet to discover.

Old May 16th, 2018, 07:39   #39
=Law=

TDI(s): 2014 Q5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
OK, I have some fuel economy data now. The first two tanks post fix post Chipwerke averaged to 33.7 mpg. Just over 1000 miles driven. This is up 1.2 mpg from the previous two tanks, post fix pre Chipwerke. So, a small increase, nothing huge, but in concert with the added low end power a nice extra.

The difference in engine performance when fully warm, on a warm day, is significant vs. winter. We'll see what summer diesel does with summer air temperatures. I was routinely getting over 35 mpg pre fix, so something yet to discover.
Been following your thread, and have a similar mindset. Any updates on the chipwerke post fix?
Performance, mileage etc.
=Law= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:47   #40
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Law= View Post
Been following your thread, and have a similar mindset. Any updates on the chipwerke post fix?

Performance, mileage etc.

Summer diesel, summer temperatures and the mpg has crept up to 35 on the last tank. Performance is improved, particularly in the 1500-2300 rpm band. No codes or warning lights in over a year of use.

I make no pretense that the piggyback tune is an apples for apples likeness to an ECU tune. There seem to be times when the chip tune is more noticeable and times when it is less noticeable. Can’t be sure. But I am pretty sure, actually, that the Chipwerke is helping MORE post fix than it did pre-fix. Hope this helps.

Old May 16th, 2018, 07:55   #41
=Law=

TDI(s): 2014 Q5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Summer diesel, summer temperatures and the mpg has crept up to 35 on the last tank. Performance is improved, particularly in the 1500-2300 rpm band. No codes or warning lights in over a year of use.

I make no pretense that the piggyback tune is an apples for apples likeness to an ECU tune. There seem to be times when the chip tune is more noticeable and times when it is less noticeable. Can’t be sure. But I am pretty sure, actually, that the Chipwerke is helping MORE post fix than it did pre-fix. Hope this helps.
Thanks - sounds promising. Like you, my interest lies in preserving the warranty, especially because I question how much testing has been done on the "fix".

What's the shifting/transmission been like? I've seen many people complaining about erratic shifting post fix and wonder if the chipwerke would make that any worse?
=Law= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:04   #42
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Law= View Post
Thanks - sounds promising. Like you, my interest lies in preserving the warranty, especially because I question how much testing has been done on the "fix".
What's the shifting/transmission been like? I've seen many people complaining about erratic shifting post fix and wonder if the chipwerke would make that any worse?
It has been good. I did a throttle reset right after the fix, which consists of turning on the car but not the engine, mashing the pedal down for 15 seconds, then releasing and turning off the car. Whether that helped, the chip helped, or whether others have simply been unlucky with their fix or their dealership, I don’t know. But I never have had weird shifting.

On another note, there is a 10% discount code that Chipwerke promotes on their Facebook site. I have been trying to get them to give a special 15% discount for my forum friends, but nothing so far. I bought mine before the price increase.

Old May 16th, 2018, 08:09   #43
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

PS to the shifting report: Cold engine shifting is changed. All agree on that. For the warm up phase it doesn’t want to shift until 2100 or 2200 rpm. After, about 1800-1900, but you can manually override, which I often do. When warm, the ECU will allow me to hold a gear as low as 1200 rpms, depending on incline.

Old May 21st, 2018, 07:27   #44
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

The money you spend on a "Chipwerke" tuning box is just about what a real ECU tune from Kerma, Malone etc would cost you. The ECU tune is tailored for the cars engine and ECU, a tuning box is not. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

On my Jetta I had a stage 2 Unitronics tune and now I have a stage 2 Malone tune.

On my former 2002 Jetta, the car learned your driving habits and to reset the AUTOMATIC transmission, you would hold down the accelerator, turn the key to on and hold for 15 seconds. Turn the key off and release the pedal. I did not know that that is still applicable?
Old May 21st, 2018, 14:46   #45
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
The money you spend on a "Chipwerke" tuning box is just about what a real ECU tune from Kerma, Malone etc would cost you. The ECU tune is tailored for the cars engine and ECU, a tuning box is not. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

On my Jetta I had a stage 2 Unitronics tune and now I have a stage 2 Malone tune.

On my former 2002 Jetta, the car learned your driving habits and to reset the AUTOMATIC transmission, you would hold down the accelerator, turn the key to on and hold for 15 seconds. Turn the key off and release the pedal. I did not know that that is still applicable?

Well, if there was no warranty, I’d be right there with you on the ECU tune. As it is, I have a warranty through 2024, that I don’t want to imperil. All this explained in earlier posts.

The throttle reset procedure is still valid for diesels. Gassers work differently and they are reset through VCDS