www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old May 6th, 2018, 12:16   #1
allenazali

Default Phase 2 Emissions Recall

Has anybody else received their Phase 2 notice? I'm probably going to go with it, but just wanted to know if anybody has already gone through the Phase 2 Modification. What is it? Is it just a DPF replacement? If that is the case what is the maintenance interval for the new DPF?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen...enazali/355004

Last edited by allenazali; May 6th, 2018 at 12:34.
allenazali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 18:18   #2
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

[QUOTE=allenazali;5405580]what is the maintenance interval for the new DPF?
/QUOTE]
There is no maintenance interval you just run it to failure. Well if you want to be proactive you could spend the money and replace it at let's say 150k. If it ain't broke don't replace it. Kind like well I never want my starter or alternator to fail so every 5 years or 150k so I'll just replace it. But as with all things, in life, they will eventually fail. With the whole dieselgate debacle there has not been very much recorded info for a failure /replacement interval as many cars have been sold back or had failed emission components replaced by the extended warranty.

Last edited by MichaelB; May 6th, 2018 at 19:33.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:33   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenazali View Post
Has anybody else received their Phase 2 notice? I'm probably going to go with it, but just wanted to know if anybody has already gone through the Phase 2 Modification. What is it? Is it just a DPF replacement? If that is the case what is the maintenance interval for the new DPF?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen...enazali/355004
The Phase 2 is quite an extensive job lasting up to about 9 hours of work for the dealer. You get a free rental while your car is being done.
Old May 8th, 2018, 10:10   #4
Marthy

TDI(s): 2015 GSW-6M

So just so I understand right, they are replacing some hardware or adding some?
Marthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 13:34   #5
tadawson
Veteran Member

Replacing DPF and (iirc) NoX filter, and adding one sensor (which requires a pipe change to add the needed bung . . . ). DPF/NoX replacements are for longevity . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2018, 16:38   #6
Rodmiser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: sorry last tank 39.8 MPG
Default Job #2

PARTS
1 1KO-298-101-B CON. KIT 1KO- 298-1
1 1KO-253-301-CC PIPE 1KO-253-301-cc
1 1KO-298-201-A GASKET SET 1KO-298
80 G-O13-A8J-SO COOL.ADD. G-O13-A8J
1 1KO-298-101-EX CONV.KIT 1KO-298-1

2.5 DAYS

OK now need to top the tank and check out fuel MPG. Sound a little loud.
Started Monday back WED. at 1230 HOURS.

43027 miles or 69245 K

Last edited by Rodmiser; May 16th, 2018 at 09:33. Reason: miles and pick up time
Rodmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 13:19   #7
pikewrench

Just got my 15 done today, dealer had it several days. They will provide a rental if you need one. There is suppose to be another 02 sensor along with more plumbing. It looks as thought the engine cover on top has been replaced.
pikewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 15:12   #8
allenazali

Default I took my car in today, in Friday morning for Tues out

They gave me a nice Passat gasser, but in no way compares to having 56k on my Diesel, its all subjective, so I will say the Chevy Bolt is nice, I drive that at work. The guys didnt look to pleasent with this job, they said that the Diesel scandal really hurt sales. Im sure the monkey experiements dont help either. I just pray this DPF installation doesnt turn into napalm death.
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:54   #9
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Just a note on Phase 2 - it may be broken up into 2 different parts and done at different times. Depends on whether you owned since new or its a buy back or was never sold until Phase 1 AND what mileage the car has (cutoff depends on manual vs DSG).

So, part A is add a NOx sensor into exhaust behind exhaust flap.

Part B is replace Emissions module (AKA DPF/DOC/SCR).

Some cars will get it all, other cars will get first part now and come back later for second part.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 11:57   #10
allenazali

Default Vw dtla

I got a call today to pick up my 15 Golf TDI. It took 4 business days from the time I took it in. The service guys were not all smiles and I don't think it was personal. I will be happy to pick up my car. I am not sure if I should ask for a run through of what they did. I can imagine that it is not easy because you have to train maintenance people to be shop mechanics. The service at DTLA is above fair, and if my car keeps running, I have no reason to complain.

The car itself has been good to me 56k something miles. I am thinking about replacing my tires at 60 or 65k. AC runs like a champ. Life is good.
Old May 18th, 2018, 07:33   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Just a note on Phase 2 - it may be broken up into 2 different parts and done at different times. Depends on whether you owned since new or its a buy back or was never sold until Phase 1 AND what mileage the car has (cutoff depends on manual vs DSG).

So, part A is add a NOx sensor into exhaust behind exhaust flap.

Part B is replace Emissions module (AKA DPF/DOC/SCR).

Some cars will get it all, other cars will get first part now and come back later for second part.

Jason
This is correct. Mine is a stop sale new 2015 Beetle tdi, DSG. It just went in for the Phase 2 fix and got the new sensor, the pipe to install it in and a software refresh to make use of it. At 9500 miles currently I will have to go back at some point and get the second part B done.
Old May 18th, 2018, 09:51   #12
allenazali

Default work desc.

performed 23y8 emissions recall. Installed gen 3 phase 2a kit and exhaust pipe, nox sensor. Installed 2b and 2b
sub kit , doc/scr/dpf assembly. Performed software update via guided functions. After repairs performed
dpf ash load reset and cooling circuit fill. Completed inform tool
Old May 19th, 2018, 19:03   #13
bowltr

Picked my 2015 Passat up today. Dealer had it since Monday. Seemed to take forever
Old June 16th, 2018, 16:41   #14
calimustang
Veteran Member

how do they drive and mpg etc with phase 2 done?
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:50   #15
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Ask someone who has done a turbo on these cars, how hard it is to get that DPF out. At about 9 hours warranty time and figuring it always takes longer than that, I can see why to plan on it taking a couple days.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote