Towing with DSG/

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Towing with DSG?

So I'm looking at adding a trailer hitch to my jetta to tow a small pop up trailer. trailer is approx 900lbs

Some people are saying these can tow up to 2,000lbs. however the user manual says no towing with the diesel and DSG. but the gas models can tow. :confused:

here shows the golf version of the TDI towing with a DSG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H65PMTcXOU

is there a spot on the DSG to add a temp sensor? I know the computer reads it as there is a warning light for it. but there is not a standard OBD2 PID to read with my bluetooth to OBD adapter.

I would imagine I would have to decrease the time between service intervals to keep the DSG happy.

I would be towing up to ~6-7% grades (5.5 miles) from to get to the mountains. Other areas would be ~3%

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
One word - liability

You can tow but all warranties are invalid if found out. We all know TDIs can tow and are good at doing it. People seem to think DSGs are made of Glass, I think they are quite strong.just use manual mode.
900lbs is nothing but rear helper airbags are recommended

I didn't think the DSG was made of glass, after all its a manual gear box that is controlled by the computer. Just the clutch engaging form a the start is all that i see going on, after that is should be locked to "ON" and no clutch modulation. On a manual the input shaft is solid as where the DGS has a shaft inside of a shaft so there is less material there (outer shaft)

maybe because they seem to make a big deal of the service every 40k so people think the box is weak?

i'm at 63K miles so my power train warranty is gone, IIRC i have an emission one to 163K from the diesel gate settlement.

what do you guys do for going down hill and reducing speed? my last TDI would gain speed in gear going down the hills (no compression braking or exhaust braking on these.) I tow often but its in a gas truck so I don't have this problem, last heavy load I was towing i just down shifted and let the compression breaking do its thing + the trailer brakes.

if I'm towing a 900lb trailer how much can be put in the trunk

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
My manual shows do not tow with DSG as you can over heat the trans and cause damage. My car is 2015 TDI DSG., so beware towing anything.
Your car so what ever makes you happy.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I didn't think the DSG was made of glass, after all its a manual gear box that is controlled by the computer. Just the clutch engaging form a the start is all that i see going on, after that is should be locked to "ON" and no clutch modulation. On a manual the input shaft is solid as where the DGS has a shaft inside of a shaft so there is less material there (outer shaft)
Actually, there is 'clutch modulation' on every shift. There are two clutches, one for the inner shaft, and one for the outer shaft. The clutches alternate application for each gear. So in 1st, one clutch applies, and the trans preselects 2nd gear on the other shaft. When the trans shifts to 2nd, it merely releases the first clutch and applies the other one, and repeats for each gear.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
You will find with the DSG lots info and debate on towing...
Take a look at "show what you tow" thread...a few DSG guys there ..
And lots if debate on us vs euro suggestions on towing limit's...
One thing that keep in mind, the US DSG is a wet clutch unit, the euro unit is a DRY clutch unit if j recall right.
Also euro speeds in towing are much lower...max about 50 mph...
Some of the fear of towing with a DSG is people trying to go too fast...and having excessive gear changes, thus excessive heat in trying to drive like they have no trailer....
Honestly, a sub 1000lb trailer that is streamlined will likely feel like nothing.....my suggestion...
Have a nice bike/luggage rack to hang onto the attachment for reasonable deniability if asked if you tow....and use no-splice lighting harnesss if you can find one you can remove.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Tow in sport mode or manually shift and keep the RPM high. The DSG will have zero issues as long as if you don't lug it, and the high RPM will keep both the engine and the transmission cool. The bigger concern will be your suspension, braking and trailer balance. Preventing the rear end from sagging is important, but at the same time you want a bit of weight on the tongue instead of the rear to keep the trailer from wagging like a dog's tail.

Timo2824

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I've pulled a 1500 lbs jetski on a 700 mile round trip and a 16 ft long flatbed trailer with motorcycles on 500 mile round trip lots on our 2010 Jetta. Never had an issue with the DSG, changed fluid in it at ~45,000 miles and 90,000 miles. I would just put it in manual mode in towns and drive once the roads opened up. Sold it with 101,000 miles on it. It would get 23-25 mpg pulling those trailers at 70 mph, my F-150 gets 13-15 mpg doing the same thing. Just bought a 2015 TDI and planning on installing a tow hitch on it!