2006 BRM - No Power

Jaredmon

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Thanks for all the help on getting this TDI back together. Engine runs great BUT.... driving is another story. We are not getting any power.

What we have done so far:

Cylinders honed, new bottom end, rings and top end. New seals and bushings in turbo. New fuel, oil and air filters. Egr block off plates and cooler removed. Intake man and egr pieces cleaned. Have not done any computer adjustments.

Again, no power is my issue.

Codes are coming back as:

P0122 TPS low input
P2413 EGR malfunction
P0401 EGR flow insufficient
P0671 Glow Plug cyl 1

I know I need to reprogram the ECU for the egr delete but would that be the only power issue? What causes the TPS code? Where is the TPS?

Thanks for the help.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
By no power, do you mean it's not starting at all and there's no electricity? Or that the engine makes a very low amount of power?

Either way, you'll have a lot better luck with VCDS to get a more detailed readout, it sounds like your reader doesn't speak German all too well. But first thing to check would be to pull off the intercooler pipe going into the intake manifold and see if the anti shudder valve is still closed when you try and start, or run it.

If you're referring to an electrical issue, check for issues in the engine harness(a lot of people find broken wires in their harness on this car), broken wires are common. Cleaning the grounds and checking the battery, along with the 460 relay are also good starting points for electrical issues.

Jaredmon

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
The car runs and drives but in driving, the car is a slug.

There is boost, up to 20 or so lbs but that's when your trying hard. If you were to just drive on a flat road, it acts like it's rpms max out around 2k. After that it is almost painful to drive. Don't want to hurt anything but have more questions than answers. Will be changing the N-75 to see if there is a vacuum issue.

We have tested the functionality of the vgt acuator by applying vacuum and we am see the movement. Not sure if it is moving the correct amount of travel but as I said, we will swop the N-75 to see if that helps.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Search for it. The turbo act rod is probably out of adjustment. The zip tie mod corrects that.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
^I agree! Simple, cheap, and a great place to start. If the problem continues, then confirm that the anti shutter valve is staying open.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
The car runs and drives but in driving, the car is a slug.

We have tested the functionality of the vgt acuator by applying vacuum and we am see the movement. Not sure if it is moving the correct amount of travel but as I said, we will swop the N-75 to see if that helps.
Did you confirm that it held vacuum or just moved? but start with zip tie and see if that helps. Also Egr Cooler can cause limp mode via a vacuum leak did you close off the vacuum line going to the egr cooler?

Jaredmon

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
***** PLEASE HELP. *****

Ok, here is an update and still no power......

EGR has been deleted - the vacuum line to the EGR capped
Anti-shutter has been deleted
Installed new/rebuilt PD140 turbo with new/rebuilt acuator
Injectors tested

Cleared codes and re-tested

Codes are as follows:

P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low
P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger Underboost
P2413 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Performance

Of course, I understand the EGR code, But what tells the turbo how much boost? I’m trying to get this car done for a friend, they are leaving on a trip to FL for Christmas

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I think you need to have the ECU reprogrammed for EGR AND anti-shudder delete, perhaps even the difference in the way the turbo actuator for the pd140 system works vs stock brm.

I recently upgraded my BRM to use the PD140 turbo, dumb actuator, egr and cooler delete, but retained anti-shudder valve for safety. It required an ECU retune, which I got from Malonetuning.